Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselling Thread

Page 16 of 47 [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 47  Next

ivan-7777
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2010, 1:39 pm

This topic is great, there really is an increased risk for some aspie people to develop addiction. I know this from my own example, I just couldn't accept the fact that I was different and that I missed out on some things in life because of AS. So I just started boozing as much as I could because that seemed like the only way for me to forget about the loneliness and depression caused by it.

If you have a problem with depression - whether it is caused by AS and loneliness or any other cause - don't try to self-medicate with alcohol and other substances, it just won't help, it will only push you deeper.

Go to your doctor and ask for professional help because a lot can be done about depression. There are methods which can make you feel perfectly normal and stabile. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Cicero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2010, 6:57 pm

Lots of people with mental illness, or whetever you want to call it, self medicate with alcohol. I have been sober and in AA over 20 years. I recall a gal who was in her early 20s getting a 10 year pin. I asked her how the hell young she was when she sobered up--in a friendly way, and she laughed. So... this is not an adults only issue by any stretch.

If one reads the stories in the AA big book, or just sitting around group, you hear again and again how alcohol made some young people socially relaxed, where they felt like they fit in for the first time. Sound familiar? Of course, eventually it makes odious monsters of us. I consider all asp types at risk for addiction--I mean that in a helpful way, and its just my impression. I also consider my sons at risk since their dad is an alcoholic.

Cicero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2010, 6:59 pm

Aimless wrote:
I agree. From the very first time I had a beer when I was about 14 I craved more. My loss of control was more gradual. But the desire was there from the beginning.

They say if you clearly remember your first drunk, you may be an alcoholic. I remember mine like it was yesterday, and it was 35 years ago... ;)

Cicero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2010, 7:08 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:
Hello, it's me, back with a new problem.

I'm afraid of becoming an alcoholic.

My father drinks a great deal and drives drunk with me in the car. He went all the way through AA once, but he regressed when he split with my mom three years ago. He is a true alcoholic who drinks steadily and heavily whenever he can. Sometimes he takes me to the bar with his pretentious friends, and I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun because that bar "cards." There are a lot of alcoholics and smokers on both sides of my family.

Sometimes, when I'm having a bad anxiety night, I break into the family liquor cabinet and drink myself to sleep with liquers or hard liquors. Even though it's not exactly a habit yet, I worry because:

1. I'm underage
2. I'm drinking alone
3. Straight vodka is a bad starting point for someone with the addiction gene
4. I'm on medication that can enhance the effects of alcohol

I've never drunk socially - in fact I would probably make a big, prudish show of refusing alcohol if a high school classmate offered it to me - but I'm about to go to college, so, well, um, yeah.

I went to the AA website and looked at their teen resources, but AA seems to be more about fixing the problem after it's there, not stopping it before it starts. I'm truly confused about where to turn. I tried telling my former therapist, and her reaction was to ask me if I needed child protective services called (um, no).

As a recovering alcoholic, I don't normally make it a point of telling folks if they are alcoholic or not, even if they ask. Its kind of a personal decision, except for some people who clearly have a problem.

There is an AA tradition that says 'the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking'. This bypasses any problems with labels and definition. Its ususally easy to know if you want to stop drinking, but what one wants to call it is complex.

From your story, I think your instincts are serving you well. You have alcoholism in the family and you are starting to medicate. I used to drink to help insomnia too. I think somone already suggested al-anon based on your father. Why not try that and then if you feel you need to walk down the hall to an AA meeting at some point, its that much easier.

Its been some years since I was there, but I think there is a lot of excessive drinking on college. It can mask alcoholic behavior, but what happens is in a few years, the normal kids stop abusing it and move on and the alcoholics accellerate their use. If you are among drinkers at college, it will be very difficult to avoid drinking due to peer pressure and the permission for irresponsible drunkenness. I've been there.

Be careful and watch yourself. You are at risk, and I wish the best for you.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 3:33 am

I feel like I have to confess it somewhere.

I've been slipping up again and am starting to feel the horrible affects. I'm paying big time for it. I know I don't deserve anyone. :(

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 9:51 am

MissConstrue wrote:
I feel like I have to confess it somewhere.

Today's AA would say you have broken their silly-ass (as I see it) "Don't drink" rule, but the original A.A. understands no real alcoholic could possibly do otherwise.

Step One includes two facts about ourselves:

1) We cannot control our drinking after we begin;
2) We cannot remain abstinent after we stop.

If I could "Don't drink", I never would have needed A.A.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 3:24 am

Feel the need to vent a bit...whether it goes unnoticed or not.

When I have a drink of beer, I want another....and another.
I don't consider myself an alcaholic because I do have self control.

Despite being most succesful on pills, pills are also my addiction...obsession.
It is a double edged sword, the most succesful that I have ever been was on prescribed pills. They have helped me out of depression, made me able to focus but I also tend to over due it and go way over the prescribed amount. That is because the first time i took pills at 12 I was not prescribed to them but trying to fix/remove what ever was wrong with me. Fixing these things meant taking alot more than would be a normal dosage, so that is the pattern when I take pills....to take more than is recomended or prescribed. I always think, hey they might be effective at the recomended dose but they might be REALLY effective if I doubled the dose. Well..this is a drunk rant I suppose...I have begun drinking again despite avoiding it. I will try and not drink tomorrow..but I have been thinking of going back on medication because I know they will help however this addictive side of me makes me not want to seek help because I will most likely end up abusing what ever prescription they give me =/.

Well...heading to bed. Good night.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 8:48 am

liveandletdie wrote:
Feel the need to vent a bit...whether it goes unnoticed or not.

Nah, nothing goes unnoticed around here!

liveandletdie wrote:
When I have a drink of beer, I want another....and another.
I don't consider myself an alcaholic because I do have self control.

Two different issues there, and how we act while drinking is not an alcoholism-related descriptor. When one drink sets off a demand for another, we have evidence of an inherent "body chemistry" that eventually makes controlled drinking impossible. The alcohol goes into the digestive system, then an insufficient quantity and quality of enzymes leave it in a semi-digested state for a little too long and some interactions with our dopamine thus produce in our brains a highly-addictive alkaloid known as tetrahydroisoquinoline (THIQ) ... and that substance is what sends the signal for another drink of alcohol.

liveandletdie wrote:
I have been thinking of going back on medication because I know they will help however this addictive side of me makes me not want to seek help because I will most likely end up abusing what ever prescription they give me =/.

Since there is no bottle of anything that can actually fix even any of our issues, we must seek real solutions elsewhere and only possibly use substances to help us along a bit.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Oct 2010, 11:46 am

i'm still an alcoholic but im quitting again, today. :)

i pored out the remaining of my beer wich totaled, 8. im so sick of looking at it! and plus i dont want to drink it

hopefully this time will FINALLY be the day i quit :? 8O :(

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 1:36 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i poured out the remaining of my beer ...

Ah, now that is what I would call "alcohol abuse" ... :wink: ... but I have done that.

richardbenson wrote:
hopefully this time will FINALLY be the day i quit :? 8O :(

If you soon (or at least eventually) find yourself drinking again, that will *not* be your own fault and there actually *is* a solution for people like "us" (if you happen to discover you are one) who find we simply *cannot* leave the stuff alone.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 8:11 pm

Going to AA for the first time in 2 years. Still have high anxiety but some of the people there made me feel very welcome. One of the problems I have in so many of these groups be it AA or whatever is opening up. Still can't get out of my shell. I seem to panick and run once a person wants to know me better.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 2:36 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Going to AA for the first time in 2 years ...

Be very careful there. You will be expected to "Don't drink", and they will not understand if/when you cannot. My first sponsor warned me very clearly and was absolutely correct when he said, "There are people in today's AA who will take your very life with bad information ... so you must 'read the book' in order to know who to listen to even around here."

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 2:57 am

leejosepho wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Going to AA for the first time in 2 years ...

Be very careful there. You will be expected to "Don't drink", and they will not understand if/when you cannot. My first sponsor warned me very clearly and was absolutely correct when he said, "There are people in today's AA who will take your very life with bad information ... so you must 'read the book' in order to know who to listen to even around here."

Yeah I know. I can't stand people who like to boss other people around. I'm not real sure how to handle these types of people. I also have a family member who won't get off my back about it. It's not just the drinking but the mixing of meds. I might not be going to AA for the best of reasons other than putting them at ease.

edsgal
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2010, 5:08 pm

Hello

Just wondering if anybody can give me a couple of hints/ suggestions that have worked for them.

I have been DX with bipolar and sensory processing disorder. I have worked in disabilities (multiple DX) for 21 years and currently assist children whose primary DX is ASD. When I went to get my DX, I kind of talked in circles and got quite confused, I have issues dealing with people. I realise that my choice of career may seem bizarre to many, but there is only one staff member on shift at a time and the people I support take me as I am!

However, my new job requires me to work along side other staff (all of whom think I have an ASD, not bipolar. Which I am inclined to agree with since I can not take meds for the bipolar because they make me sick and I am able to rationalise myself out of a depression). I take my lunch breaks away from the others, and try to segregate myself as much as possible. I have been working here for 2 years and don't want to leave but it is affecting my health.

Now to the question, you knew I'd get there sooner or later lol I drink to relax and de-stress. But I don't stop at a couple (that just doesn't work any more) I am drinking a bottle of scotch in about 3 days (my father was an alcoholic and drank constantly, I don’t want to end up there) I can go without alcohol, I stopped for 6 weeks recently, but then had one too many staff try to engage me at work and I ran straight back to it. I am also assisting children with ASD to over come their sensory processing issues and as such I am constantly confronting my own (talk about sensory overload lol) what do others do to unwind after coping with people at work all day? And do you think it would be in my best interest to get a new evaluation since I'm 42yo and work in an industry that gives me the ability to help myself with or without a formal DX.

Thanks. :)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 6:36 pm

edsgal wrote:
Just wondering if anybody can give me a couple of hints/ suggestions that have worked for them ...

I don't stop at a couple ...

That is because of a certain body chemistry some of us have where one drink physically demands another (via the brain and a dopamine reaction), and complete and permanent abstinence is the only relief for that.

edsgal wrote:
I stopped for 6 weeks recently, but then ...

Whew. When you have a little time, read the first couple of chapters of "Alcoholics Anonymous", the book, where you will find the shared experience of many other people who once also had that same dilemma of being able to neither drink safely nor to just leave it alone altogether. There from that book is where I found a permanent solution.

edsgal
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2010, 4:17 pm

Thanks leejosepho for taking the time to respond. I will try to obtain a copy of the AA book, but since I do not want to become a member and attend meetings (I'd have to have a couple in me just to get me to the door and then to sit in a room full of people!! !) not sure how I could get my hands on one here in OZ.

I'm not sure I would class myself an alcoholic though, alcohol dependant, yes. I enjoy a drink every now and again, but most nights I am forcing a few drinks down my throat just to get the relaxation effect. So I am dependant on alcohol, but I don't think I am addicted, yet. I know some may argue that dependency on alcohol is an addiction, but I believe if I found another avenue that resulted in relaxation of both body and mind, I would not have to drink. At least I hope that to be the case :?

Maybe I just need to take a teaspoon of cement :roll:

Thanks again leejosepho