Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselling Thread

Page 17 of 47 [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 47  Next

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2010, 5:20 pm

how?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:25 pm

edsgal wrote:
I believe if I found another avenue that resulted in relaxation of both body and mind, I would not have to drink.

That is absolutely correct, and that is exactly what can be found from within the common experience shared in that book.

Caution: Most of today's AA would only offer you an insufficient-and-even-deadly substitute.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:27 pm

leozelig wrote:
how?

Can you elaborate a bit?

Hegel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2010, 12:18 pm

I am not drinking for a last few years.
While i was drinking howerver i could drink alot, like one bottle of vodka or something like that. I never stoped at just one drink.
Drinking allowed me to connect with more people, because here where i live there are a lot of drinkers.
I stoped when i started at university since it is very bad for studing.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Nov 2010, 3:12 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Going to AA for the first time in 2 years. Still have high anxiety but some of the people there made me feel very welcome. One of the problems I have in so many of these groups be it AA or whatever is opening up. Still can't get out of my shell. I seem to panick and run once a person wants to know me better.
i hope you are sucsessfull. i know from my standpoint, having a disability like AS makes it that much harder to seek therapy for any kind of drug/alcohol problem. i really dont like sitting in groups and telling a bunch of strangers my life story mostely because i'm a private person.
I know that when i was in "groups" the only reason they did it like that instead of individual time was because they wanted to save money. the most cost effective way to do this is grouping people together

I've finally relised i'm never going to change.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2010, 5:32 pm

I have been involved in the Twelve Step movement since 1995!

Although I've had my own challenges dealing with such a large organization, it HAS been rewarding! When I committed, I had a lot of support from both of the home groups I had within each Fellowship I had been in. Even before I committed, the members of the group I was introduced to were an incredible inspiration!

Once I became actively involved, I resisted the Fellowship and focused on the Program. The thing that got me was that they would go out to eat after the meeting! Later, I got involved with a subcommittee that put on SOCIAL FUNCTIONS for the members. And although I felt awkward, I was able to DO it because I was there to serve a purpose! I was even the coordinator for a local speakerfest in 2000 and worked with others to make it a weekend long event that would pull in people from out-of-town! I've held all the positions at my homegroup for the Fellowship that I decided to stick with.

There are card games and barbeques and picnics and other activities to enjoy! And when I get to a point where it's too much or I've done something that could be considered odd or out of place or I'm just overwhelmed and don't know what to do, then I understand that I need to make use of the coping strategies available to me:

Just leave the scene. BELIEVE me, there's ALWAYS next time!

Retreat to my celly for a nice game of spades.

If I find that the noise and distraction of the clubhouse are too much - just stop playing cards for a while and watch.

Think of the Aspie Self-Affirmation.

The Program has helped me a lot and WP helps me with the Program and the Fellowship!

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 7:46 am

I don't know that I want to stop.

I can get through the day just fine but in the evening I am very tense so I "self medicate" with a few glasses of wine.
Actually I go through a four liter wine cask every two days.

I know that if I go on this way it will kill me but I don't like my life anyway so who cares?

ruemorgueave
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2010, 3:13 pm

Mispost.

Anspaughnato
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2010, 7:04 pm

I've done many drugs, all which have changed me for the better.

I'm not promoting them, but I'm just saying that all drugs are not bad.

matt28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2011, 12:46 pm

I'm considering having a drink of alcohol and probably will end up doing so. Often I regret it but what else is there?

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:01 pm

I try and go sober but I never can. Longest I can go sober is usually a day or two- sometimes 3. I don't drink heavily just a six pack to calm me down but it's just becoming every day and I can't seem to stop. It'as just one drug after another, beer being the latest in a long line. Not sure what to do anymore, am I simply a slave for the rest of my life? I try eating healthy, excercising, working hard, and trying to get "high on life" as they say but I can't get the monkey off my back. Is it even possible? Every day I wake up and think of getting some opiates and quit playing the half ass game with beer nyquil or what ever i happen to be subletting. I think well maybe if I put more time in my hobbies, but hobbies cost money which I don't have. Jobs aren't calling me back, and when I call them they are not hiring or are filled.

My stomache is always twitching, I take milk thistle for my liver which has helped but it still twitchs as well sometimes. Where does one go but down, or sideways is more like it. I'm not on hard drugs, and I'm not boozing it heavily just very regularily. I've been thinking of drinking to make my days go faster, I have been able to resist that but the night time is when the monkey really starts to scratch nomatter what I am using. My brother is trying to go sober, and I think that's good- I should too. Here i am though, moving side ways. Going to go take a shower now but I'll never wipe off this grime.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 4:40 pm

Day 1: not drinking or doing any drugs today.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 4:41 pm

You can do it! :D

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:10 am

liveandletdie wrote:
I try and go sober but I never can. Longest I can go sober is usually a day or two- sometimes 3 ...
... am I simply a slave for the rest of my life?

We do not have to be, yet we will still always be dependent upon something in order to feel okay ... and please allow me to try to explain that a bit:

We drink and/or we use drugs for the positive effect/s we get, and we do that even though our doing so can ultimately hurt us. Drinking used to make me feel like "almost a somebody", but then I began realizing alcohol would eventually also kill me. So, I had come to a point or "fork in the road" where I could neither live with it nor without it, and that left me in a very bad spot:

I had to have *something* just in order to at least try to feel okay, and that kind of problem is not resolved by abstinence.

Personally, I had to find a substitute for alcohol that would not also kill me, and I found that by taking "The Twelve Steps". You might or might not be interested in doing the same, but the key here is to find the relief we actually do need but without still killing ourselves in the process.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 3:29 am

i will look into the two steps lee, and see what their about

but for now- day 2 success =) (hard one....i'm sure tomorrow will be even harder)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:50 am

liveandletdie wrote:
i will look into the two steps lee, and see what their about

but for now- day 2 success =) (hard one....i'm sure tomorrow will be even harder)

Yes, each day just makes abstinence more unbearable.

The Twelve Steps are about coming into spiritual fellowship with powerless others like ourselves, and the fellowship we share there then serves well as a substitute for alcohol.