heaven help those that are in the way of humans

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:12 am

leejosepho wrote:
My mother once called me to come to her house and do something after she had come home and heard some noise in the flue above her fireplace ... and it turned out that an old barn owl had evidently fallen in ... and my rescue efforts and taking it to someone I knew who nurses ill animals gave it nothing more than a bit of dignity as it died.

well at least you tried.

leejosepho wrote:
On Big Pine Key in the Florida Keys, there is a long stretch of road with a low speed limit intended to help protect the native "Key Deer" that live there, but one lobster fisherman once joked that eating more Key Deer might help preserve the lobster supply.
i am unable to understand what the lobster fisherman meant. i am not stupid in many ways, but in many others i am.

leejosepho wrote:
There is no excuse for intentionally harming a non-threatening animal or bird, but I have also seen some nasty crashes and personal human injury after someone swerved in traffic in order to miss an animal.
Life is challenging for all.

the nasty injuries to humans that are incurred by trying to swerve away from a lame animal are no more important to me than the nasty death the animal would suffer if no one swerved away from them.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:15 am

blue_bean wrote:
Maybe the driver who ran over the poor bird might have thought it was already dead. Or maybe they mistook it for a bunched up rag or other item of rubbish that was dropped from a truck or something. Most drivers aren't as alert as they should be when driving to spot things like small animals and such that maybe be on the road.

maybe that is true, but it stood out to me. i was aghast that it was sitting on the road and looking around. i thought i was less aware than average people, so i can not see how average people would have not seen it was sitting up and looking around.

blue_bean wrote:
Me and my brother were driving from Bundaberg with some friends of his in a car behind us. I swerved to miss a frill neck lizard that was running across the road, but my brother's friends....just ran over the poor thing :(. I saw it in my rear view mirror.

it is harder to avoid an animal that is running than one that is stationary.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:16 am

Quote:
the nasty injuries to humans that are incurred by trying to swerve away from a lame animal are no more important to me than the nasty death the animal would suffer if no one swerved away from them.

I totally disagree.
If you don't place your life in higher esteem than an animals or any other humans for that matter you might as well kill yourself now and give all your organs away.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:20 am

nostromo wrote:
I pulled up in traffic only last year, a kitten ran on the road under the car in front. I started to worry about it immediately, the car drove off when the light turned green, it was in the middle of the road and ran under my car. I jumped out and started looking under my car, I ran around both sides and the back crouching down to look everywhere, I could not see it, hiding anywhere, there were cars behind me waiting to go and the lights were green and in the other lane traffic was moving so it wasn't safe, I told myself it must have run to the kerb when I was around the other side, I moved off slowly just in case..and felt the wheel go over something, I felt sick, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw this little broken creature still moving a little :cry:
Loads of cars were behind me and they ran over it too.
I imagined what would have happened if I had checked more thoroughly, me picking the little kitten up in my shirt, taking it to someones house. :(

well it happened and and it is over now. you can not be blamed. my point in this thread was that the unstoppable march of human development means that innocent lives are going to be squashed because humans just take the world and pave it over and then they hurry to their destinations and squash little sweethearts that are not lucky enough to be born human.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:38 am

emlion wrote:
Quote:

I totally disagree.
If you don't place your life in higher esteem than an animals or any other humans for that matter you might as well kill yourself now and give all your organs away.

your total disagreement provides no friction that ret*ds the way i think.
i will always preserve my own life because i want to live very much, but i do not think humans are more deserved of life than animals.
you are no more valuable a life than a cockroach. the fact you are smart will not be a fact in 150 years.
i am an animal and i deserve to live as much as any other animal.

your life is no more important than an animals. you can shriek in disagreement all you like but i am going to bed now so i will not see what you say further tonight.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:07 am

I'm trying to picture the setting - was this in a residential area, town area, or on the highway?

Either way, :(. I always move around to avoid squirrels and birds as well. I'd be in the same position as you.

I'm trying not to be depressed and trying to be hopeful about humanity and of course this thread comes up... ;-;

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 2:57 pm

b9 wrote:
nostromo wrote:
I pulled up in traffic only last year, a kitten ran on the road under the car in front. I started to worry about it immediately, the car drove off when the light turned green, it was in the middle of the road and ran under my car. I jumped out and started looking under my car, I ran around both sides and the back crouching down to look everywhere, I could not see it, hiding anywhere, there were cars behind me waiting to go and the lights were green and in the other lane traffic was moving so it wasn't safe, I told myself it must have run to the kerb when I was around the other side, I moved off slowly just in case..and felt the wheel go over something, I felt sick, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw this little broken creature still moving a little :cry:
Loads of cars were behind me and they ran over it too.
I imagined what would have happened if I had checked more thoroughly, me picking the little kitten up in my shirt, taking it to someones house. :(

well it happened and and it is over now. you can not be blamed. my point in this thread was that the unstoppable march of human development means that innocent lives are going to be squashed because humans just take the world and pave it over and then they hurry to their destinations and squash little sweethearts that are not lucky enough to be born human.

Being born human does put us on a higher rung of the food chain yes, but to the Rockefellers of the world we are the pigeons on their road.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 4:33 pm

b9 wrote:
so now i get to you.
i am tired because i have flattened my batteries replying to everyone, and i have not much charge to help me think of a way to convivially address your post, but i will try.

John_Browning wrote:
Don't worry about it. pigeons and squirrels are not endangered species.

neither are humans. humans are in plague proportions, so if you value the life of a single person, then if you can not value the life of a single pigeon, then there is some blockage of reasoning that you suffer.

John_Browning wrote:
If you stopped in the middle of the road to help the pigeon, you might have only ended up with a wrecked car
my car is not as valuable to me as the life of that pigeon. that pigeon was never alive before it was born, and it will never be alive again. that pigeon is not able to be made by humans, and while it was alive, it was a "self" that was miraculous in it's creation. it lived and thought and wanted things and felt comfortable and happy and it felt also terrified and unhappy and it was a "me" contained in it's little head. can the technicians at mercedes create that? can it be mass produced with raw materials and a production line? no. your values are severely compromised by your lack of sight.

John_Browning wrote:
and possibly getting your ass kicked.

only people with an inbred redneck mentality devoid of the ability for attention or consideration would choose to kick me while i was rescuing a pigeon.

you may think of and identify with many people who would fit that description, but in australia, people would understand that i was doing a nice thing. in your depraved neighborhood, maybe i would be gunned down by unthinking toothless idiots if they were interrupted for a few minutes from their unstoppable instinctive directives.

John_Browning wrote:
If you crash into somebody or cause somebody when dodging and animal in the road
your sentence is incomplete and does not make sense. i will not bother to fill in your logical pothole with an adequate word that smoothes over your dereliction of fluency.

John_Browning wrote:
, you are likely to get sued. if there is ever another animal in the road, it is best for all concerned if you run it over or let it get run over.

you would deliberately run over an animal.
you say you are a right wing gun nut.

those that fly with only a right wing, fly in anticlockwise circles.
gun nuts are nuts with guns, and you are certainly a nut.

nuts with guns often wind up as one's with no guts.

maybe i am being harsh, but i do not subscribe to your words to me.

stay safe
Nice stereotyping you ignorant douche. Because he's a right winger and is anti-gun control, he's selfish and irresponsible with guns. And nice cheap ass attack on his character because of his incomplete sentence. That's a mistake and nothing more.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:52 pm

Subotai wrote:
Being born human does put us on a higher rung of the food chain yes, but to the Rockefellers of the world we are the pigeons on their road.

and if there's any justice in this universe, then there are advanced ETs who view the rockefellers as pidgeons on THEIR road.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 5:18 am

Quote:
i do not think they intended to kill the pigeon. i think they just felt that their destination, and their business that they were going about, was more important than the pigeons terror and they considered that a small bird is not worth the effort to steer around.

That is for me the crux of the issue and this combination of selfishness and indifference is most often the source of people's cruelty towards vulnerable creatures.

Witnessing it is a gut-wrenching experience and such images tend to haunt me for years.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 9:58 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
b9 wrote:
.. what i said...
Nice stereotyping
thanks for your compliment.
AceOfSpades wrote:
you ignorant douche.
huh? first you give me a compliment and then you snap and give me an insult without so much as a pause for a comma. deary me you are a volatile and cranky little thing.

AceOfSpades wrote:
Because he's a right winger and is anti-gun control, he's selfish and irresponsible with guns.
i would not go so far as to think that, but i respect your opinion. what makes you think he is selfish and irresponsible with guns?

AceOfSpades wrote:
And nice cheap ass attack on his character because of his incomplete sentence. That's a mistake and nothing more.
so why did you post it?
if you know it is a mistake then you should have edited it.

whatever. you are going to choke if you do not pull your proboscis out from his backside. let him fight his own battles. you are a simpleton who suckles upon the spent nutrition that seeps from the anus of your idol like a fly on the bottom of a sick cow.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 10:20 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
Quote:
i do not think they intended to kill the pigeon. i think they just felt that their destination, and their business that they were going about, was more important than the pigeons terror and they considered that a small bird is not worth the effort to steer around.

That is for me the crux of the issue and this combination of selfishness and indifference is most often the source of people's cruelty towards vulnerable creatures.

i completely agree with you.
humans take it for granted (erroneously) that they are the most important life forms on earth, and they will develop "their" world without consideration to the happiness of other lives.

recently, i saw a story on the news where a colony of flying foxes (big bats) was due to be eradicated because humans had pushed their development of their environment into a wilderness area. there was a housing development, and a new school was built very close to the area where the bats lived.

the children were upset about the smell of the bats, and they complained that they could not concentrate on their lessons because of the smell.

so it was considered to be completely justified to kill all the bats so the children did not have to smell them.

humans may be smarter than animals, but that smartness relegates them to a realm of evil. "smartness" is what humans use to justify their sense of self entitlement that results in so many valuable lives being destroyed.

every animal has a unique personality, and the fact that humans just lump them into a notion of "stock" reveals that humans are quite apart from nature.

Sallamandrina wrote:
Witnessing it is a gut-wrenching experience and such images tend to haunt me for years.

i did not witness the pigeon being run over. all i know is that it was very alive and terrified as i drove by, and when i finally made a u-turn and went back to it, it was just a flattened
spread of feathers and blood that had been squashed into the road by many wheels that drove over it with no thought.

it did wrench my guts. i felt i should have crossed over to the other side of the road to stop the traffic as soon as i saw it.

but it is gone now forever.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 10:41 am

Its death was probably relatively quick, but I'm afraid you witnessed the worst part - the terror and confusion on a helpless animal before dying, without being able to help. I'm sorry this happened.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 7:45 am

John_Browning wrote:
Don't worry about it. pigeons and squirrels are not endangered species. If you stopped in the middle of the road to help the pigeon, you might have only ended up with a wrecked car and possibly getting your ass kicked. If you crash into somebody or cause somebody when dodging and animal in the road, you are likely to get sued. if there is ever another animal in the road, it is best for all concerned if you run it over or let it get run over.

by responding to the initial post in this manner you've illustrated the difference between people who are motivated by conscience and those who are motivated by consequence.

i'd trust the former with my life and the latter with nothing.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 7:54 am

katzefrau wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Don't worry about it. pigeons and squirrels are not endangered species. If you stopped in the middle of the road to help the pigeon, you might have only ended up with a wrecked car and possibly getting your ass kicked. If you crash into somebody or cause somebody when dodging and animal in the road, you are likely to get sued. if there is ever another animal in the road, it is best for all concerned if you run it over or let it get run over.

by responding to the initial post in this manner you've illustrated the difference between people who are motivated by conscience and those who are motivated by consequence.

i should be asleep and i will try to get there but lovely you.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 10:49 pm

b9 wrote:
katzefrau wrote:
John_Browning wrote:

i should be asleep and i will try to get there but lovely you.

thank you.

i doubt many would have appreciated that comment.