Do you find that conversing with people on WP...

Page 3 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 8:27 am

PastFixations wrote:
mntn13 wrote:
Yes, today for instance.
Kind of in need of a virtual hug, but I don't like hugs unless I ask for them.
When I first came to WP I hoped if there were other people that felt like this, then we might reduce it by at least a little bit.
Kind of like it'd be nice to be able to put on dark glasses and go for a walk.
*hug*
I have a pair of sunglasses... does that help?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 10:13 am

Tequila wrote:
...makes you feel even more lonely in real life, even as you type away at the screen? As though you're trying to find a substitute for genuine social interaction online and it leaves you feeling unfulfilled and rather sad? As though these are just useless, pointless words on a computer screen?

(sighs)

I tend to view WP as kind of a stepping stone to opening up in other areas in my life. It's not so much about social interaction but about trying to be more comfortable expressing myself in a supportive venue. This website has helped me more than a line up of therapists ever did (of course, they didn't do a damn thing for me).
I don't think of this as pointless or useless, but doing what you can with the tools in the toolbox. We may be a little short handed in some areas, but I don't see any shame in compensating. It's just about getting by.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 5:57 pm

Venger wrote:
slave wrote:
I'm VERY unimpressed.

I'm very impressed by your phony age.

bite me!

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 6:22 pm

slave wrote:
Venger wrote:
slave wrote:
I'm VERY unimpressed.

I'm very impressed by your phony age.

bite me!

Okay Grandpa... don't make fun of the people because you have the false set...
Time to take your pills. =]

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Guybrush_Threepwood
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 4:51 am

I do. The experience of learning about the condition from other people's experiences and interactions is positive. Realizing that even a group of people that i would expect to understand me most readily don't seem to take to me...just as everybody I have ever interacted with doesn't take to me...well, that just leaves me a little sad. I guess my expectations were based on nonsense...but knowing that does not diminish the sense of disappointment I carry. So yes, ultimately I feel more alone, and for me an even bigger freak, after hanging out on WP...

Such is life.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:07 am

hey you know what? you are a lucky basterd.

Last edited by Maje on 10 May 2012, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LunaticOnTheGrass
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 May 2012, 8:14 am

Tequila wrote:
...makes you feel even more lonely in real life, even as you type away at the screen? As though you're trying to find a substitute for genuine social interaction online and it leaves you feeling unfulfilled and rather sad? As though these are just useless, pointless words on a computer screen?

I feel that way because I always feel so misunderstood by all of the people in my tiny little village, my family, and my parents and stuff. /teenagecrying

I entirely agree and sympathize (at least to the degree that my Autism will allow me!), but I disagree that our words are useless and pointless. Depressing as it may feel that many of us here may lack the degree of strong friendships or interpersonal relationships, many of us make up for it by cutting out the gauzy, impermeable filter that is verbal, face-to-face communication and translating our thoughts to text. The method of communication shouldn't matter, but the thoughts, intentions, ideas, and feelings evoked should. :D

Khyrean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2012, 8:54 am

I have two very good offline friends (and my parents) whose company I enjoy very much but for all other interactions I prefer the internet over face-to-face because
I'm better at expressing myself in writing, than speaking ( I assume most of us here are...)
it's hard to find people that make me feel understood - or even share my interests
and interacting socially is just so incredibly exhausting for me. Just going outside demands for mental preparation and a good reason, so I avoid doing that as much as possible. I'm not good at spontaneous things and face-to-face interaction always demands spontaneity - if it is just "hey, let's meet for a cup of coffee in an hour!"

I found my third good friend in an online community (Final Fantasy XI, to be precise) and she even came all the way from California to visit me in England. (which then resulted in exhausting personal interaction but I'm still very happy I got to meet her)
Forum posts are one thing - too public, really, more like communicating via small ads in a newspaper - but when I'm chatting with someone I don't really feel a distance. On the contrary, I'm more relaxed and at ease than when I'd be actually talking to the same person so I guess I'm more "myself" (whatever that is) rather than covered up by a blanket of explicitly learned and trained social interaction patterns. So seen this way, internet interaction is more "genuine" to me. At least I am more genuine... :)

I assume the people here are just as different in character as anywhere else - we just share certain peculiarities, but even there: AS is such a diverse condition, it'd probably be hard to find someone with exactly the same difficulties. And two blind people are not necessarily supposed to get along with each other, just because they share their disability, why should that be the case here? (on a personal level, I mean)
I expected to be accepted here, and probably feel I can relate to many things that are being said, but I don't think finding friends will be easier here than anywhere else.

Sorry, not very encouraging, I suspect.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 9:26 am

Right, this will be a multi-quote post as I've a lot to get through. There will probably be another post after this one as well, with even more quoted posts:

lundygirl wrote:
I think it's an odd thing, becoming part of an online community. It feels like interaction but at arm's length.

That's exactly what it is. And it's what I was trying to get at before - in that it's a community, yes, but you rarely intimately know the people behind the usernames. You can't go out for a drink with them (mostly), or actually do things together. It's as though we are all in long-distanced friendships rather than just being people we can get in the car/get the bus to and go and see.

lundygirl wrote:
And the interaction takes the written form, so your words are there for anyone to see, long after you posted them. You can't readily make throw-away comments in case they get misconstrued, so you start to watch what you say (at least I do, and I'm sure I'm not alone).

I tend to be a bit more lax on this policy than you are, I think. As can be evinced by a lot of the nonsense I post!

lundygirl wrote:
And if you post a comment and no-one replies, it can seem like a slap in the face.

I think it's definitely worse though when you start a quite lengthy thread with a well-thought out original post and it goes completely unremarked upon. Wouldn't you agree? Not that I tend to make many of those, of course.

lundygirl wrote:
That compounds the sense of loneliness for me, and makes me feel like a failure.

You shouldn't feel like a failure, love. You really shouldn't. You're not a failure there. Stop that!

lundygirl wrote:
Guess I don't like feeling rejected!

Not that many people do - me included. It's not easy, granted.

lundygirl wrote:
And it reflects my desperate need to be liked, which I guess is actually pretty pathetic, especially at my age.

I must say that this is a trait I also share, although of course I'm much younger than you. I think it's probably to do with the way that I haven't lived an independent life yet. I still feel like a man-child in some respects.

lundygirl wrote:
Sorry, I've ranted on. But I feel better now I've got that off my chest!

Don't feel guilty - you were (and are) a pleasure to read and respond to!

slave wrote:
I'm VERY unimpressed.

Ignore him. He didn't even have the courtesy to host the photo somewhere else, in essence stealing the bandwidth of the original imagehosts. Simply don't give people like that ammunition. Anyway, he comes from Derry, so it kind of evens out I find. ;)

mntn13 wrote:
Yes, today for instance.

How do you feel today, mntn13?

mntn13 wrote:
Kind of in need of a virtual hug, but I don't like hugs unless I ask for them.

You can have a hug from me if you like. I've had a wash today and put some deodorant on, although I haven't had a shave so I might be a bit prickly! I don't charge for hugs either. ;)

mntn13 wrote:
Kind of like it'd be nice to be able to put on dark glasses and go for a walk.

Take a white stick with you. No-one will question you then. It worked for me... until I bent the sodding stick, that is!

TenPencePiece wrote:
Absolutely, in a word.

Yup...

And...

Get in touch with me and turn off before you get that far, OK? ;)

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 9:32 am

LunaticOnTheGrass wrote:
I feel that way because I always feel so misunderstood by all of the people in my tiny little village, my family, and my parents and stuff. /teenagecrying

Are you sure other people understand each other and sure you need to be understood?
hehe tricky :wink:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:37 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
To be honest, Tequila, I think the Haven is the very last place I'd come to, if I was feeling extra depressed.

I don't feel extra depressed - don't be silly. If I was, I'm not sure I'd come here. (And also, if I was, I wouldn't have been able to deflect ZX_SpectrumDisorder's violin jibe so easily.) I just feel a little bit lonely, that's all.

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I tend to only come here with my moderating hat on and seldom ever post in this section, as an ordinary member (this post excluded).

I also post in this part of the forum less than I used to.

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I get depressed like most others on here, but talking about it just makes it worse for me.

Probably because it feels like it's all going round and round in your head, and bringing other people into your problems as well?

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I try to focus on the good stuff, especially if I'm typing a post (even if it's only a little thing).

I try to do the same as well. Like posting lots of my photos all over the damn place, for example. :P

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
These past few weeks, wandering around WP has not been good for me at all.

I do agree. It does feel quite dull and repetitive here, as well as being quite quiet.

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
As well as the same stuff coming up over and over, which I've nothing to add to, there are things I need to get on with IRL and I'm neglecting my hobbies.

What are your hobbies? I need to look them up.

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
It's not so much about social interaction but about trying to be more comfortable expressing myself in a supportive venue.

True, but on here is so, so different from doing it in real life, where things are, er, less controlled if that makes sense. Do you have access to an autism support group or something similar, or a supportive group of friends, where you reside?

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
I don't think of this as pointless or useless, but doing what you can with the tools in the toolbox.

And, yes, I guess it's safer experimenting here than doing it out in the 'real world', as it were. :)

Guybrush_Threepwood wrote:
I do. The experience of learning about the condition from other people's experiences and interactions is positive.

I think it's somewhat different for me because I've always known that I've had Asperger's (and some of the other co-morbid conditions that go along with it). So it's good for me to be among people who are 'like' me (although you all of course are not like me; we just share similar traits, is all) but it's not the same as actually being with people outside of my family in real life.

I guess my expectations were based on nonsense...but knowing that does not diminish the sense of disappointment I carry. So yes, ultimately I feel more alone, and for me an even bigger freak, after hanging out on WP...

Would it help for you to have lots of WPers that you could actually hang out with in real life or not? Rather than us just being words on a computer screen?

Maje wrote:
Im a really happy lonely (for 90% of the time) person. Whats going on with that?

You should probably consider yourself quite lucky then. :)

LunaticOnTheGrass wrote:
I entirely agree and sympathize (at least to the degree that my Autism will allow me!), but I disagree that our words are useless and pointless. Depressing as it may feel that many of us here may lack the degree of strong friendships or interpersonal relationships, many of us make up for it by cutting out the gauzy, impermeable filter that is verbal, face-to-face communication and translating our thoughts to text.

Perhaps. What I probably really meant was that I'm lonely and should probably get laid at some point. ;)

Khyrean wrote:
I have two very good offline friends (and my parents) whose company I enjoy very much but for all other interactions I prefer the internet over face-to-face because
I'm better at expressing myself in writing, than speaking ( I assume most of us here are...)

Most definitely. I can be quite poor face-to-face and can sometimes just shut down (or, worse, become obsessive - this is a particular problem when I've had a couple of drinks inside me). Not good.

Khyrean wrote:
it's hard to find people that make me feel understood - or even share my interests

What are your interests? Have you looked in detail on this board? I'm sure there might be one or two people hanging around that might share some of them. A lot of the time, life is about compromise after all. :)

Khyrean wrote:
and interacting socially is just so incredibly exhausting for me.

Join the club! I can do it, but I have to prepare myself for it and it often throws me when it's spontaneous.

Khyrean wrote:
Just going outside demands for mental preparation and a good reason, so I avoid doing that as much as possible.

Can you do things like, for example, going to the supermarket on your own? And not need a lengthy period of downtime afterwards?

Khyrean wrote:
I'm not good at spontaneous things and face-to-face interaction always demands spontaneity - if it is just "hey, let's meet for a cup of coffee in an hour!"

Yes, I understand where you're coming from.

Khyrean wrote:
I found my third good friend in an online community (Final Fantasy XI, to be precise) and she even came all the way from California to visit me in England. (which then resulted in exhausting personal interaction but I'm still very happy I got to meet her)

Bloody hell - that must have been quite a friendship! :)

Khyrean wrote:
I assume the people here are just as different in character as anywhere else - we just share certain peculiarities, but even there: AS is such a diverse condition, it'd probably be hard to find someone with exactly the same difficulties. And two blind people are not necessarily supposed to get along with each other, just because they share their disability, why should that be the case here? (on a personal level, I mean)

This is very true. Very, very true.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 11:34 am

Tequila wrote:

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
It's not so much about social interaction but about trying to be more comfortable expressing myself in a supportive venue.

True, but on here is so, so different from doing it in real life, where things are, er, less controlled if that makes sense. Do you have access to an autism support group or something similar, or a supportive group of friends, where you reside?

I've been making some friends, but I kinda feel in free fall trying to navigate relationships.

Khyrean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2012, 1:00 pm

Tequila wrote:
Khyrean wrote:

What are your interests? Have you looked in detail on this board? I'm sure there might be one or two people hanging around that might share some of them. A lot of the time, life is about compromise after all. :)

Oh, I meant offline. The internet offers a means to find someone for any kind of interest. I wouldn't know what to do without the internet...

Tequila wrote:
Khyrean wrote:
Just going outside demands for mental preparation and a good reason, so I avoid doing that as much as possible.

Can you do things like, for example, going to the supermarket on your own? And not need a lengthy period of downtime afterwards?

I can go on my own but it's still stress. I usually don't really need downtime because just coming home closing the door behind me does a lot to make me feel better. :)
And by the time I unpacked everything in its proper place I feel good again. Cleaning up has a calming effect on me.

Tequila wrote:
Khyrean wrote:

Bloody hell - that must have been quite a friendship! :)

It is! :)
Come to think of it, I met the other two friends on the internet first, too. They just lived a little closer to me than 9400 km; that makes meeting a little easier. :D
For some reason I never meet people I like first in RL, or I'm too preoccupied with the whole social stuff to notice them. I tried to approach someone twice in my life and it was... not the result I had anticipated... Ah well, no one can say I never tried. I prefer developing my internet friendships to rl friendships. :)

That being said, I can relate somewhat to feeling lonely, I just don't do that very often. Then it's more that I wish I was home with my mum being downstairs or so, but it's not necessarily company I miss. Just... home. I have to admit, if I feel like that I listen to melancholical classical music and hug my favourite stuffed animals until it goes away. Or I do somthing that demands so much concentration that I forget about it. Drawing, playing piano... cleaning the kitchen sometimes helps, too.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 2:14 pm

Tequila wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
As well as the same stuff coming up over and over, which I've nothing to add to, there are things I need to get on with IRL and I'm neglecting my hobbies.

What are your hobbies? I need to look them up.
I draw and paint, but I spend much more time thinking about it than actually doing it.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:35 pm

I do. The experience of learning about the condition from other people's experiences and interactions is positive. Realizing that even a group of people that i would expect to understand me most readily don't seem to take to me...just as everybody I have ever interacted with doesn't take to me...well, that just leaves me a little sad. I guess my expectations were based on nonsense...but knowing that does not diminish the sense of disappointment I carry. So yes, ultimately I feel more alone, and for me an even bigger freak, after hanging out on WP...

Such is life.

I take to you, you're a good egg! *hugs*

Guybrush_Threepwood
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:46 pm

Haha...thanks kjas :)

I strongly suspect my feeling of disconnection and self-perception of being generally unappealing to know are my problems and nobody else's. I'm sorry if anybody felt like my comment was a judgement on the community in any way.

Guy