Are people with Aspergers more likely to commit suicide?

Page 3 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 12:48 pm

I would say so, a lot of aspies stay depressed because of our limits on interaction with others. For some, it gets unbearable. I was this way at one point in time myself. I'm alright now and I try to help anyone I can but I recently found out I can only do so much sometimes. Despite that, if I can help someone, I will.

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2008, 1:05 pm

velodog wrote:
Some of the recent posts by the younger members of this Forum have been very disturbing. Young people wanting to take pills or cut themselves. :( It's a shame that they want to do this and put their families and friends through the ensuing self doubt and blame on top of the heartbreak of losing someone that matters to them.

I could never do it, as i have algophobia(fear of pain,so no cutting)) and Basophobia (fear of falling, so that rules out jumping). i don't like pills either.

Last edited by jamescampbell on 28 Apr 2008, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 1:09 pm

pat666rick wrote:
Are people with Aspergers more likely to commit suicide? From the time I was 13 or so until last year (I'm 21 now) I was extremely suicidal. There were times when I would go for months straight thinking of suicide and ACTUALLY planning on doing it. I don't know why, but for once in my life I haven't been suicidal. I can't find any kind of logical answer for why I am not suicidal, but there is a possibility that upon finding out that I have Aspergers and accepting it, I no longer feel "different". I wonder if most people are relieved upon hearing that they have Aspergers? At first it was a shock, and it made me cry because I lost hope of ever falling in love, holding a job, meeting new friends, etc. But now it feels like since I know what I have, I can take advantage of it (my aspergers). I still have hope, I just lack "balls" right now. The thought of me getting a job right now where I'm interacting with people (in all jobs you NEED to interact to a certain extent) just doesn't sound realistic. Anyways, I am just glad that I am not suicidal anymore. I feel like that is one major step ahead. Since learning that I have Aspergers, I have been trying to think more positively and I've been listening to more positive music. Just changing music genres for me has relieved LOTS of anxiety. You wouldn't believe how music can affect your emotions in such a strong way. Anyways... Only time will tell if I will ever acquire the "balls" to step into the "real world".

same

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2008, 1:46 pm

pat666rick wrote:
Only time will tell if I will ever acquire the "balls" to step into the "real world".

What is the real world?

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 6:27 pm

grain-and-field wrote:
pat666rick wrote:
Only time will tell if I will ever acquire the "balls" to step into the "real world".

What is the real world?

It's an expression that people use. When people talk about the "real world" they are referring to the realities of adult life (work, paying bills, making ends meet, finding a girlfriend, getting married, etc.) Those are just some examples, but you probably get what I mean.

aspie1979
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jun 2008, 5:47 pm

I'm very depressed everyday we can say suicidal, i think im in a video game thats all, i dont like to be touch, hear noices, have stress, im very sensitive to that. I dont want to go out, or i go out for a LITTLE while not more. I dont like that.

Sometime i think im going to suicide, does asperger's suicide a lot?

Thank You!
Ciao!

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 6:01 pm

people with as are more likely to take antidepressants.
some antidepressants are known to cause suicidal ideation/tendencies.
would like to see some 'official' data, though.

do you mean more likely to commit and be successful, or more likely to attempt?

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jun 2008, 6:24 pm

dkmnow wrote:
ALL people who are treated like dogshit by parents, peers, or society at large are more likely to commit suicide. Full stop.

The only reason depression so often seems "comorbid with Asperger's" is because most of us are continually treated like dogshit.

I really don't think there can be any more to it than that.

You know this may seem odd. You know them people that have been so screw up by NTs that they actual buy a gun and slaughter those people that put them through it. I feel no anger towards the gunner and in a small way I admire them. What's going though my head is if that person hadn't been so mentally scared they'd never have got so messed up to the point where they'd consider killing anyone. So those that are killed died by their own actions.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 9:07 pm

pat666rick wrote:
Are people with Aspergers more likely to commit suicide? From the time I was 13 or so until last year (I'm 21 now) I was extremely suicidal. There were times when I would go for months straight thinking of suicide and ACTUALLY planning on doing it. I don't know why, but for once in my life I haven't been suicidal. I can't find any kind of logical answer for why I am not suicidal, but there is a possibility that upon finding out that I have Aspergers and accepting it, I no longer feel "different". I wonder if most people are relieved upon hearing that they have Aspergers?

A lot of it is hormone imbalance. At 13-16 years old, kids bodies change dramatically, especially those of young women. Anyone that's raised a child knows that girls go 'psycho' for a while after they hit 13. It's hormones and then you couple that with AS and the feeling of constantly being persecuted for just being 'weird' or 'different' all of your life, the suicidal tendencies tend to brim just below the surface of your consciousness almost all the time. Most people grow out of this by the time they hit their early to mid twenties, but when you have additional problems like bipolar or unipolar depression, etc., it never goes away. After I found out about my AS, I didn't understand it for the longest time and I thought that yeah, it's a problem, but that my ADD was worse. My ADD got me into more trouble than I could shake a stick at, and I was always unhappy with my life in general.

I've had close to 15 suicide attempts in my life. Most of those happened during my teens (I was the ultimate angsty teenage girl), but as I got older, the attempts became far more serious - serious enough to land me in a mental hospital after I overdosed on a drug/alcohol cocktail that I never intended to wake up from. This happened at the age of 25, after my second failed marriage. I only snapped out of it when this counselor told me that if I tried one more time, they'd take my kids away from me. That's when I gave up trying. I was going through a hellish bout of depression after my father died and it suddenly dawned on me that if I really really wanted to die, then I'd have done it a long time ago. I discovered then that my attempts were a cry for help, mainly because I didn't really know for sure what was wrong with me and the doctors couldn't ever figure out how to fix it. I got off all medications, both legal and illegal, and got my sh*t together. I buried myself in work and raising my kids. There still isn't a day that goes by that the thoughts of suicide don't drift across my consciousness, but it's far easier to quell them these days.

To get past the suicidal thoughts, you have to take a serious, unwavering look at yourself and ask yourself what it is you really want out of life. Does nothing at all matter to you? For me, it was my children. They saved me, I believe, snapping me back to reality. Up until that revelation came, I didn't care if I lived or died, and thought I was the lowest piece of crap that ever walked the earth. Had it not been for that wakeup call, I'd have done the deed or some drugged-up lowlife I used to hang out with would have done it for me.

Yes, you can come back from the living dead. I did, and if I can (as bad off as I was), anyone can.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 6:51 am

All I can say is AS wouldn't help.

When I'm suicidal, I don't talk about it on the internet, looking at the sort of reaction it gets in a lot of places. I've been suicidal since I was a young teenager. The most recent would be around may this year.

I also think hormone imbalance doesn't help.

Rijmar
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jun 2008, 8:02 am

Id'd be surprised if it isn't more prevelant in aspies;
Suicide can be directly related to depression,
Aspies are more often / likely to be depressed (regarding from own experience, some literature and WP)
Although I can also see it like that we think more about it, we consider it more often, but and up not doing it (this was the case for me fortunatly (and yes, that refers to the latter part of the sentence, not the former))
But then you should still question the reason for the correlation, say the mechanic behind it.
It could be that it is through neurotransmitter inbalance or something comparable, but it could also be the result, as mentioned before, of being treated unfairly and being in social isolation.
In this case it is more a result of societies reaction to the aspie instead of being an aspie

frankcritic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2008, 12:01 am

This is all very interesting, but can we consider for a moment a rational middle ground?

Not alive and happy about it, not suicidal. Merely patiently waiting to die.

Take me.

I know I will enter the professional phase of my life sooner or later now and that in order to maintain employment I will need to do truly miserable things by my standards. Pretend to be interested in what others are saying when I am not, never offer an opinion, never dissent, talk about the weather, the local sports team, but mostly try and deflect and neutralize practically all social interaction in the workplace. Control it, keep it minimal, and be as unnoticeable as possible. 60 hours a week (average teacher work week, see, after they do the behind the scenes stuff), of being insincere, impotent, and a downtrodden, conformist doormat all so I don't offend my NT coworkers and have them complain about me or undermine me in ways I won't even notice to do anything about. That's misery, but that's necessary to be gainfully employed. So what else am I to think if not that, fine, I will patiently wait to die of natural causes. We all have to die someday. The last evidence there might be a God, in fact, is this information.

-Frank

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 10:47 pm

I say yeah aspies in general (although not all) lead isolated and lonely lives, find it hard to make and keep friends, hold down employment, live independently etc. I especially find weekends very lonely given there are few things on tv and i dont have many friends to hang out with. I live with my best best friend Saphemie (Saphie) he is a platinum mink tonkinese kitten and is the loveliest personality.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2008, 1:39 pm

I believe the depression on about any level over a long period of time is a result of the pain and stress that Aspergers may cause in life. I would be more upbeat if I didn't feel so isolated and that I'm missing out on the world and being social. And I'm very worried over the affects on my daughter and husband as well as the my sisters and parents. Unfortunately it feels like they are living this crap right along with me. sigh

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

18 Sep 2008, 3:53 pm

Roseduelist wrote:
since depression is considered comorbid to aspergers, there is a chance you might be right on that one

I agree.

Thinkagain
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Oct 2009, 6:30 am

i def agree, ive been suicidal since primary school days