Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselling Thread

Page 21 of 47 [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 47  Next

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

anomie wrote:
i'm drinking again and i hate it.

it makes me hate myself

I do not recall ever actually hating myself, but I sure did wonder what in the world might be wrong with me. Drunk or sober, stoned or straight, I used to stare at the bottle and wonder how or why it seemed to have so much control.

anomie wrote:
i am able to stop and sometimes ive even been able to drink moderately but what happens is this. i get full of energy and I keep planning things to do and booking all my time up. then i get over-loaded ...

Many of us have great ambitions, and alcohol can at least temporarily drive away all fear of not achieving them as well as to bolster our determinations and certainties as to going after them.

anomie wrote:
i can't fully relax without a drink. maybe what i need to bear in mind is that i probably dont fully relax WITH one either, it just gives me the illusion.

That was certainly my own case.

If you might be interested, you will find a wide variety of people with similar experiences and a variety of approaches to solving these kind of problems over here ...

http://www.e-aa.org/forum/index.php

slipacre
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

Hello a quick connection expect I will be coming back to this thread
newly self diagnosed at age 63
have been in recovery for last 24 years and today life is very good.
For me - self medicating what I now finally am understanding - did not work at least past the age of 19 or 20
spent 19 more years digging a deep muddy dark hole.

Hardest thing about recovery was getting over terminal uniqueness.
Second hardest thing was discovering that the rooms are full of people as socially awkward as I am and so the isolation ended gradually rather than with a pop!

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm

slipacre wrote:
For me - self medicating what I now finally am understanding - did not work at least past the age of 19 or 20

Wise man. How is life in the woods?

Anyways... My brain is feeling dangerously close to where it was a year or two ago... Why is a sober, clean life sooo boring and bland. Need a new hobby...

slipacre
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2011, 4:43 am

Yes, Find a hobby, or better yet an avocation.
A sober life in the woods is very good. Am a retired geek have taken up nature photography and am combining it with
writing recovery books. they are on line - free. Requires flash and fast connection here is a sample
Maybe I've posted enough here they'll let me put a link up
Being Right

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 2:07 pm

No flash right now, but I'll check it out later! Thanks!! :)

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 10:42 pm

I am officially quitting drinking. I embarrassed myself in front of some of my closest friends last night. I had a public meltdown which many people witnessed, then I locked myself in the bathroom, pulled out my hair, and self-injured. My body still hurts. I have bruises everywhere.

I apologized though and my friends said they'd support me through this. I still feel like I screwed up majorly though and they actually hate me now. I should have controlled myself, but I couldn't. The worst part of this was I WANTED to get drunk.

I may not have full-blown aspergers, but I have a very sensitive neurology, and if I want to ultimately be happy, I cannot allow myself to do this anymore. It`is fun until a certain point where you feel the world is crashing down around you.

I'm done.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 1:16 pm

I always quit one drug only to move to another....

i've never been completely sober except for like two weeks once when i was in high school.

and around the age of 12 and prior I was sober...

my brain is always in scrambles, and i'm always in some sort of withdrawal.

Bloviater
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2011, 1:01 am

Had quite a lot to drink today. Started at 1:30 PM with scotch and quickly thereafter I migrated to wine. My heads a bit fuzzy, but an hour ago I drank some water and had a cup of coffee and am feeling better.

First, I'm sociable; amiable. Then in the later stages of drunkenness, I become more and more bewildered at things that should be obvious and then, even more later, I transform into this curmudgeonly boob. Not always, but it seems to occur more often than not. Perhaps its depression perforating the intoxication.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

Should I keep my energy drink habit going?

I need like one a day to like, feel awake in the morning, regardless of the amount of sleep.

I use them to cope, too, once when I had I guess a meltdown I was having like 4 16oz monsters a day. Average now is 2 a day to keep up with everything.

I know it makes me more productive and better at everything, but it's not healthy really. I have NVLD, nonverbal learning disorder, which means I have like, sorta right brain deficiency. My verbal IQ is like, 130, but my nonverbal is like 80. I notice it allows me to do everything better, caffeine, without like, changing me. It feels just like a better me. I have to kinda "think" out everything I do verbally, and caffeine allows me to get things done more fluidly it seems.

I could probably get an Adderall prescription, but that'd likely be even worse for me, considering it's speed. But, as it is, I feel like I'm just self medicating with caffeine and stuff.

Will I kill my kidneys?

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 4:22 am

i'm not bad enough with my drugs to consider myself an addict...
but i don't know what life would be like without drugs...
though I am able to do the things I need to everyday and by definition addiction isn't true until it affects you carrying out your daily tasks in a negative way. i should be glad that i'm not deep deep into drugs...but i'm not i wish i was at rock bottom because then i'd have a reason to quit...but i don't right now...i'm not deep enough to quit though i know i should.

Merp
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Sep 2011, 6:35 pm

I was 18 when a friend's mother began supplying me with marijuana as partial payment for an art project she had asked me to do. Over the years that I have known her she has asked me to do work for her - paying me large amounts of money up front that I was supposed to "work off" always getting me more in debt to her. This was supposedly to help me by giving me a break so I could get ahead by having some extra work but as I said I always wound up further in debt.

She is a social worker and frequently gets people to do work for her in exchange for councelling that she initially promises "pro- bono", she has even done "councelling" while smoking up. Even though she knows that I have had disabilities since I was a child, she never offered any guidance about how to apply for disability supports - even when I was homeless.

she claims to be my friend but "forgot" that I had cancer last year . . .

When I told her that I had got some advice and that the statute of limitations protected me from her trying to collect, and that I could not pay her anything because I do not work, ( I am now in the process of applying for disability suppport) she got really angry and acused me of "playing it that way" - as if I planned to have a developmental disability??? . . . like I was planning to not pay her back when I was assembeling my genetics in utro (argh!)

She has pressed my husband several times and continues to demand that I work it off in some way (specifically she wants a stained glass window I made). Even though I was told that "working off" a debt is extortion and is illegal in Canada.

Now she has made several comments that imply that she does not think we are good parents even though I never smoke anymore - not since before my son was born (not since I saw her last actually) and we live in a different province - she has never actually met my son but has implied that we would not be good parents and I am worried now because she is a social worker.

If she was any other drug adict I would think just don't talk to her and hope she goes away but because she is a social worker I am worried that she could hurt our family.

What should I do?

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 10:49 pm

not sure how it works in canada but in washington state a case worker has to be assigned to the case in order to work on it. also in order to open a case there would have to be sufficient evidence. seems like she is not assigned to a case with your family and she does not have any evidence to support opening a case...i would leave it be and move on. You could always question her credibility by insisting on her taking a drug test and questioning her reliability as a witness which sounds like she is not credible. Also if she keeps harrassing you, you could get a restraining order.

Merp
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2011, 9:29 am

If she contacts us again I will get my husband to talk to her and tell her what she has done is illegal and that he is aware of it and that we will get a restraining order if she continues to contact us.

AldousH
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

1000Knives wrote:
Should I keep my energy drink habit going?

I need like one a day to like, feel awake in the morning, regardless of the amount of sleep.

I use them to cope, too, once when I had I guess a meltdown I was having like 4 16oz monsters a day. Average now is 2 a day to keep up with everything.

I know it makes me more productive and better at everything, but it's not healthy really. I have NVLD, nonverbal learning disorder, which means I have like, sorta right brain deficiency. My verbal IQ is like, 130, but my nonverbal is like 80. I notice it allows me to do everything better, caffeine, without like, changing me. It feels just like a better me. I have to kinda "think" out everything I do verbally, and caffeine allows me to get things done more fluidly it seems.

I could probably get an Adderall prescription, but that'd likely be even worse for me, considering it's speed. But, as it is, I feel like I'm just self medicating with caffeine and stuff.

Will I kill my kidneys?

Caffeine doesn't affect your kidneys that much, but besides it there isn't anything really usefull in energy drinks. You're better off just drinking caffee at a fraction of the cost.
Besides, energy drinks are kind of douchy.

Dent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2011, 8:53 pm

Alcohol took over my life when by all rights I should have been playing with action figures, discovering girls, and working hard in school. I've recovered quite a bit, but my mind doesn't work the same way anymore. I should have done like other kids and gotten into fights instead of ruining all the good things that I had.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 5:51 am

This is by all means absolutely NOTHING compared to a real alcohol problem but.....I think my body has become mildy dependant on drinking. It's only 1 or 2 a night, 3 max (quiet drink with my dinner at around 8pm and the following drinks until bedtime) . But when I go for days without drinking I get headaches, I become fatigued. I went home sick from work thursday last week as I could just not do a single thing a work due to extreme fatigue, migraines, tiredness and lack of energy to the point where it was draining to walk up the stairs. I was sitting like a zombie at my desk until cried from the tiredness. I hadn't had a drink since the sunday before, and I'm beginning to think my lack of drinking might have played a part in it, or maybe it was just a combo of my periods and not eating well enough, I dunno. I have NEVER felt ill like that before. I've only been regularly drinking since July or so (when Dan Murphy's Discount Liquor opened lol)