Why are people offended by everything?

Page 4 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 5:55 pm

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
Apparently the post I put up was taken down. I guess it was a little too real. But yeah guys, put more words in people's mouths, that'll show em.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that there are "offended" people complaining about a shirt whilst attacking others without provocation or threat, over imagined slights. This is nuts. Is there a way to block a thread? The level of toxic psychology here is suffocating.

If you're talking about me, who did I attack and how? I find it interesting that my mentioning my friend with cancer is somehow an attack on people here. That is some interesting psychology indeed.

Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 5:57 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:
My friend from high school is dying of breast cancer. She has had both breasts removed by mastectomy, so I guess she's not worth saving anymore. The woman might as well die once the breasts are gone, as they are the most important part of her to the man in her life. Also, her husband left her for another woman now that she is sick and no longer has any breasts.

Needless to say, we find "save the boobies" rather offensive. A woman is more than a walking pair of breasts, and is worth saving for more than just the sake of her tits.

You're putting words in other people's mouths. IE, you're offending yourself. You can't blame everyone else for these things when you're the one saying them.

I will pass that along to my friend, that she's only offending herself. I am sure that will be great comfort to her as she dies with no tits to save.

Be sure to show her this thread so that she'll know you're the only one who even mentioned that women are worthless without their tits.

The shirts don't say anything about saving women, only tits, and since my friend doesn't have any anymore I guess no one who supports "save the boobies" would be interested in saving her life. If they want people to know they care about people with cancer, maybe their campaign should state they are about saving people and not just tits.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 6:07 pm

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
Apparently the post I put up was taken down. I guess it was a little too real. But yeah guys, put more words in people's mouths, that'll show em.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that there are "offended" people complaining about a shirt whilst attacking others without provocation or threat, over imagined slights. This is nuts. Is there a way to block a thread? The level of toxic psychology here is suffocating.

If you're talking about me, who did I attack and how? I find it interesting that my mentioning my friend with cancer is somehow an attack on people here. That is some interesting psychology indeed.

:/ You're joking right? You really think I'm saying that you mentioning that you have a friend with cancer is the toxic psychology? .... holy hell. Yeah... I'm done here. No thanks.

I am a Bookwyrm.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2018, 6:23 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:
My friend from high school is dying of breast cancer. She has had both breasts removed by mastectomy, so I guess she's not worth saving anymore. The woman might as well die once the breasts are gone, as they are the most important part of her to the man in her life. Also, her husband left her for another woman now that she is sick and no longer has any breasts.

Needless to say, we find "save the boobies" rather offensive. A woman is more than a walking pair of breasts, and is worth saving for more than just the sake of her tits.

You're putting words in other people's mouths. IE, you're offending yourself. You can't blame everyone else for these things when you're the one saying them.

I will pass that along to my friend, that she's only offending herself. I am sure that will be great comfort to her as she dies with no tits to save.

Be sure to show her this thread so that she'll know you're the only one who even mentioned that women are worthless without their tits.

The shirts don't say anything about saving women, only tits, and since my friend doesn't have any anymore I guess no one who supports "save the boobies" would be interested in saving her life. If they want people to know they care about people with cancer, maybe their campaign should state they are about saving people and not just tits.

That's some serious mental gymnastics you're doing there. This is a charity to help stop breast cancer. Why would you think that just because your friend had her breasts removed because of breast cancer that they're suddenly going to stop caring for her? You don't think that, not really. You're just making excuses to be offended.

Don't contradict me on this either. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt of the doubt here. Keep arguing and I'll actually start to think that you're not pretending and that you really are that stupid.

Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 7:07 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:

That's some serious mental gymnastics you're doing there. This is a charity to help stop breast cancer. Why would you think that just because your friend had her breasts removed because of breast cancer that they're suddenly going to stop caring for her? You don't think that, not really. You're just making excuses to be offended.

Don't contradict me on this either. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt of the doubt here. Keep arguing and I'll actually start to think that you're not pretending and that you really are that stupid.

People really do value women only for their body parts, that is why the shirt is offensive. Did you miss the part where I mentioned that her husband left her? That was after her surgeries. He left her for someone else, someone with intact breasts. I'm sure there are other reasons (the number one reason being it turns out he's just a horrible selfish jerk) but one cannot deny a woman is going to feel like her breasts really mattered more to her husband than the rest of her did when he leaves her when she no longer had any breasts, to be with someone with intact breasts.

The offence is real because lots of men (including my friend's soon-to-be ex-husband) really do treat women like all that matters about them is their lady parts. Look up the numbers on how often men leave women when they get cancer compared to the reverse. I'm sorry you're unable to understand why a shirt stressing the importance of saving breasts rather than lives might upset someone like my friend, it must limit your interactions with others to be so empathetically stunted that you can't comprehend the emotional states of others.

Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:02 pm

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
LittleCoyoteKat wrote:

:/ You're joking right? You really think I'm saying that you mentioning that you have a friend with cancer is the toxic psychology? .... holy hell. Yeah... I'm done here. No thanks.

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted what you said. I have been attacked and called a troll before on here for sticking up for myself and it may have caused me to be oversensitive and read your comment wrong. If it wasn't directed at me then I apologize for reacting the way I did to it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:08 pm

It’s Trump’s fault.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:54 pm

For a massive variety of reasons unique to each person, but I have a few ideas...

I think people cluster together on the extreme ends of the political spectrum. Some ASD's have trouble with this as we're already shunned out of everything, including political clusters, but your average person likes to go towards extremes. Typically when someone BECOMES their political view, they become their arguments as well. Lacking in facts and full of holes and logical fallacies. They become what they're arguing against as well. When someone is on the far left arguing to punish all men, they are just the inverse of someone on the far right arguing to punish a disliked minority. This both hurts the country and those of us who don't want to participate in this giant failed chess game and contribute to this society, willing to hear and seek the reality. Those people who responded to you using terms like "mansplaining" are using terms that they don't truly understand, and that don't have a factual basis. That word isn't something someone from the 1800s would be throwing around, is it? They are highly entangled in a political-cultural mess and they don't know how to get out. Criticizing them, even lightly, is like an attack on their existence, not just on a flawed view.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2018, 9:03 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:

People really do value women only for their body parts, that is why the shirt is offensive. Did you miss the part where I mentioned that her husband left her? That was after her surgeries. He left her for someone else, someone with intact breasts. I'm sure there are other reasons (the number one reason being it turns out he's just a horrible selfish jerk) but one cannot deny a woman is going to feel like her breasts really mattered more to her husband than the rest of her did when he leaves her when she no longer had any breasts, to be with someone with intact breasts.

The offence is real because lots of men (including my friend's soon-to-be ex-husband) really do treat women like all that matters about them is their lady parts. Look up the numbers on how often men leave women when they get cancer compared to the reverse. I'm sorry you're unable to understand why a shirt stressing the importance of saving breasts rather than lives might upset someone like my friend, it must limit your interactions with others to be so empathetically stunted that you can't comprehend the emotional states of others.

I sympathize with your friend for having cancer and losing her breasts. I'm sure that was a horrible experience for her. What I don't have sympathy for is you putting words into people's mouths that they never said in order to justify your hurt feelings. If your friend really has suffered through cancer, then I can't imagine that she would actually want to shut down a charity whose soul purpose is to help ease the suffering of people going through the same thing she is. And for what reason? Because it's slogan uses words she doesn't like? Don't you see how completely and utterly selfish that sounds?

Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 10:34 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
I sympathize with your friend for having cancer and losing her breasts. I'm sure that was a horrible experience for her. What I don't have sympathy for is you putting words into people's mouths that they never said in order to justify your hurt feelings. If your friend really has suffered through cancer, then I can't imagine that she would actually want to shut down a charity whose soul purpose is to help ease the suffering of people going through the same thing she is. And for what reason? Because it's slogan uses words she doesn't like? Don't you see how completely and utterly selfish that sounds?

I never put words in anyone's mouth, I just said I am offended by a campaign called "saved the boobies" rather than "save women from cancer". And I never said my friend wants to shut down the campaign, she just thinks their name is insensitive to women who have already lost their breasts to cancer. They could rename it something less crappy and thoughtless.

Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 10:42 pm

You seem to be completely misunderstanding why people don't like the name of the campaign--it's not because it has the word "boobies" in it. That is not what is offensive about a breast cancer campaign called "Save the Boobies", just that it has the word "boobies" in it. It's because it makes the effort to fight cancer about saving women's body parts rather than saving their lives. It contributes to the idea that women are just life support machines for breasts and vaginas, and that our worth is directly tied in to how our parts please men rather than just having intrinsic worth as human beings.

My friend with her life situation being what it is understands that better than you do, so her opinion on the matter has a lot more weight to me than yours does.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2018, 10:44 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:

I never put words in anyone's mouth, I just said I am offended by a campaign called "saved the boobies" rather than "save women from cancer". And I never said my friend wants to shut down the campaign, she just thinks their name is insensitive to women who have already lost their breasts to cancer. They could rename it something less crappy and thoughtless.

You said that people who wear those shirts only consider the boobs to be worth saving not the entire woman. That is putting words in people's mouths because nobody ever said anything of the sort. That is the kind of "oppression" that feminists WISH they had to deal with because then they'd be able to paint everyone in black and white the way they want to. The people I was referring to in the beginning wanted to shut the charity down because it hurt their feelings. The fact that you were taking their side made me assume you wanted to as well.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2018, 10:45 pm

You seem to be completely misunderstanding why people don't like the name of the campaign--it's not because it has the word "boobies" in it. That is not what is offensive about a breast cancer campaign called "Save the Boobies", just that it has the word "boobies" in it. It's because it makes the effort to fight cancer about saving women's body parts rather than saving their lives. It contributes to the idea that women are just life support machines for breasts and vaginas, and that our worth is directly tied in to how our parts please men rather than just having intrinsic worth as human beings.

My friend with her life situation being what it is understands that better than you do, so her opinion on the matter has a lot more weight to me than yours does.

There you go again. You are LITERALLY THE ONLY ONE SAYING THAT. Nobody else is making that connection. Just you. You are putting words in other people's mouths and offending yourself with them.

Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 10:52 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:

You said that people who wear those shirts only consider the boobs to be worth saving not the entire woman. That is putting words in people's mouths because nobody ever said anything of the sort. That is the kind of "oppression" that feminists WISH they had to deal with because then they'd be able to paint everyone in black and white the way they want to. The people I was referring to in the beginning wanted to shut the charity down because it hurt their feelings. The fact that you were taking their side made me assume you wanted to as well.

Now you are doing what you are saying I'm doing, putting words in my mouth.

I said it contributes to the idea that women are only good for their body parts, not that everyone who wears one of those shirts thinks that. I just think the name is dumb, I don't think everyone who supports it hates women or something. It would be easy enough for them to change the name, wouldn't it? It was just a bad idea to call it that and they should have changed the name when it was pointed out to them that they really didn't think it through how it might hurt some women who've lost their breasts to cancer already instead of doubling down on it. How hard is it to say "Oops, we didn't really think about how it might sound to some people but now that it's been pointed out to us and we see that it's really hurtful to women who have already lost their breasts we'll just call it something else. Sorry!" ??

Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 10:55 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:

There you go again. You are LITERALLY THE ONLY ONE SAYING THAT. Nobody else is making that connection. Just you. You are putting words in other people's mouths and offending yourself with them.

But that is the problem and what you are missing right there: lots of people are making that connection, especially women who've already lost their breasts to cancer. It's a real thing in life that women get valued for their body parts, that is a thing that billions of women feel. This is not something I've invented. There is a reason why the name was so unpopular, I'm just telling you what the reason was and you're not listening because you are emotionally invested in being right and "feminists" being wrong.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:

But that is the problem and what you are missing right there: lots of people are making that connection, especially women who've already lost their breasts to cancer. It's a real thing in life that women get valued for their body parts, that is a thing that billions of women feel. This is not something I've invented. There is a reason why the name was so unpopular, I'm just telling you what the reason was and you're not listening because you are emotionally invested in being right and "feminists" being wrong.

Fine, whatever. We'll shut down the charity and stop helping hundreds of thousands of people (both men and women) who are suffering from cancer because you decided to add a bunch of unrelated crap to the slogan and offended yourself. I hope that would make you happy. And I also hope that if that were to happen that you would be the one who got to explain to all those people who were no longer getting help that they were in fact lucky and should be thanking you because you got rid of the nasty sexist slogan. Wouldn't that just be so worth it?