karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 11:06 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:
You seem to be completely misunderstanding why people don't like the name of the campaign--it's not because it has the word "boobies" in it. That is not what is offensive about a breast cancer campaign called "Save the Boobies", just that it has the word "boobies" in it. It's because it makes the effort to fight cancer about saving women's body parts rather than saving their lives. It contributes to the idea that women are just life support machines for breasts and vaginas, and that our worth is directly tied in to how our parts please men rather than just having intrinsic worth as human beings.

My friend with her life situation being what it is understands that better than you do, so her opinion on the matter has a lot more weight to me than yours does.

There you go again. You are LITERALLY THE ONLY ONE SAYING THAT. Nobody else is making that connection. Just you. You are putting words in other people's mouths and offending yourself with them.

But that is the problem and what you are missing right there: lots of people are making that connection, especially women who've already lost their breasts to cancer. It's a real thing in life that women get valued for their body parts, that is a thing that billions of women feel. This is not something I've invented. There is a reason why the name was so unpopular, I'm just telling you what the reason was and you're not listening because you are emotionally invested in being right and "feminists" being wrong.

Fine, whatever. We'll shut down the charity and stop helping hundreds of thousands of people (both men and women) who are suffering from cancer because you decided to add a bunch of unrelated crap to the slogan and offended yourself. I hope that would make you happy. And I also hope that if that were to happen that you would be the one who got to explain to all those people who were no longer getting help that they were in fact lucky and should be thanking you because you got rid of the nasty sexist slogan. Wouldn't that just be so worth it?

I don't want it to be shut down, I've said that several times. I just would like them to change the name. Are you not actually reading my words and just reacting to your own feelings here? Because it's beginning to sound like you're arguing not with me but with the boogeyman evil feminist in your head.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 6:53 am

FunkyPunky wrote:
Last night I saw a post on Facebook saying that breast cancer charities that use shirt like "Save the Boobies" or "Save Second Base" need to be shut down because it was misogynistic. I left a comment asking if it really mattered since the charity was literally saving women's lives. Shouldn't that be enough? I woke up with a reply list a mile long calling me a misogynist a mansplainer and a dozen other names I won't repeat here. Why are people so determined to be offended that they would rather leave cancer patients without treatment than put on their big kid pants and deal with it?

Because these people are ret*d and drama queens.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 8:43 am

That is not what is offensive about a breast cancer campaign called "Save the Boobies", just that it has the word "boobies" in it. It's because it makes the effort to fight cancer about saving women's body parts rather than saving their lives.

"Save the boobies", as tasteless as it is, is concise and makes people think "heh, must be for breast cancer, my sister would get a kick out of that shirt".

"Save womens' lives" is pretty vague.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 3:24 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
That is not what is offensive about a breast cancer campaign called "Save the Boobies", just that it has the word "boobies" in it. It's because it makes the effort to fight cancer about saving women's body parts rather than saving their lives.

"Save the boobies", as tasteless as it is, is concise and makes people think "heh, must be for breast cancer, my sister would get a kick out of that shirt".

You're right, I suppose it is stupid and wrong of me to be concerned about the feelings of the women I know with breast cancer. Next time I see my friend I will tell her her feelings about cancer charity campaigns that focus on tits rather than saving people from cancer are stupid and she shouldn't care, and should just not have feelings about her husband leaving her when her breasts were gone because there is no purpose getting offended over it. I'm sure her feelings about it will completely change then and she will be happy I told her her feelings on the subject are stupid.

Problem solved, thanks guys! :)

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:

You're right, I suppose it is stupid and wrong of me to be concerned about the feelings of the women I know with breast cancer. Next time I see my friend I will tell her her feelings about cancer charity campaigns that focus on tits rather than saving people from cancer are stupid and she shouldn't care, and should just not have feelings about her husband leaving her when her breasts were gone because there is no purpose getting offended over it. I'm sure her feelings about it will completely change then and she will be happy I told her her feelings on the subject are stupid.

No problem. While your at it maybe she can explain how a woman's breasts are part of her so by saving them they are also saving the woman. Because you are apparently under the delusion that breasts are a pair of parasites living on a woman's chest instead being, you know, her breasts.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 4:28 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

No problem. While your at it maybe she can explain how a woman's breasts are part of her so by saving them they are also saving the woman. Because you are apparently under the delusion that breasts are a pair of parasites living on a woman's chest instead being, you know, her breasts.

He says about a woman who has had hers surgically removed to save her life, which it didn't. You guys are so empathetically stunted this thread would be hilariously ironic if it weren't so disgustingly insensitive at the same time. I will be sure to pass on all your wisdom to my friend, I'm sure she will think very highly of you for it.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2018, 4:35 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

He says about a woman who has had hers surgically removed to save her life, which it didn't. You guys are so empathetically stunted this thread would be hilariously ironic if it weren't so disgustingly insensitive at the same time. I will be sure to pass on all your wisdom to my friend, I'm sure she will think very highly of you for it.

Gotcha. Hers didn't make it (sad, but it happens) so that means... breasts are no longer part of the woman? They're all around offensive? We should pretend they don't exist? Literally no cancer victim matters except her? Oh wait, I got it! We need to shame breast cancer charities and those monsters who donate to them for setting feminism back centuries.

Or you could just be an oversensitive little victim using your friend with cancer to validate your hurt feelings. I think that one's more likely.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 4:40 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

Gotcha. Hers didn't make it (sad, but it happens) so that means... breasts are no longer part of the woman? They're all around offensive? We should pretend they don't exist? Literally no cancer victim matters except her? Oh wait, I got it! We need to shame breast cancer charities and those monsters who donate to them for setting feminism back centuries.

Or you could just be an oversensitive little victim using your friend with cancer to validate your hurt feelings. I think that one's more likely.

You are getting very heated and personally insulting over this, and constantly putting words in my mouth. Seems like you are the one with strong feelings about this. Have fun continuing to argue with yourself points that no one else has made except you. :)

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2018, 4:41 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

You are getting very heated and personally insulting over this, and constantly putting words in my mouth. Seems like you are the one with strong feelings about this. Have fun continuing to argue with yourself points that no one else has made except you. :)

You poor thing. All those nasty people trying to help cancer victims and they're not taking your feelings into account at all. It's almost like lives are worth more than feelings. Have fun with your pity party. Be sure to tell your friend how we all hate her now that she doesn't have breasts.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 4:44 pm

Stay classy, WP! :lol:

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2018, 4:46 pm

Will do and thanks for proving literally every point I made in the first post.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 5:11 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:

I'm glad you agree that the person you're arguing with, yourself, made all your points for you. That worked out serendipitously for you (and you.) :wink:

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2018, 6:21 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:

I'm glad you agree that the person you're arguing with, yourself, made all your points for you. That worked out serendipitously for you (and you.) :wink:

I haven't responded to anything you didn't say. You threw a fit because you thought the shirts only wanted to save the breasts not the women (as stupid a statement as that is) and I responded. You brought up your "friend with cancer" in just about every post to validate your opinion instead of just saying what you thought and I responded. The original argument I was referring to in my first post wanted the charity shut down and then you came in agreeing with them. If you didn't want it shut down you should have pointed that out immediately instead of waiting until it made you look bad. Other than that you've just been whining about how I'm so mean and lack empathy and you're going to tell your friend with cancer about me.

I haven't put any words in your mouth. You just don't like the way I'm repeating your words back to you.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 6:41 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:

I haven't responded to anything you didn't say. You threw a fit because you thought the shirts only wanted to save the breasts not the women (as stupid a statement as that is) and I responded. You brought up your "friend with cancer" in just about every post to validate your opinion instead of just saying what you thought and I responded. The original argument I was referring to in my first post wanted the charity shut down and then you came in agreeing with them. If you didn't want it shut down you should have pointed that out immediately instead of waiting until it made you look bad. Other than that you've just been whining about how I'm so mean and lack empathy and you're going to tell your friend with cancer about me.

I haven't put any words in your mouth. You just don't like the way I'm repeating your words back to you.

It's interesting what you see as "throwing a fit". You really need to portray my posts as more emotional than they are, when you are the one obviously emotionally involved in this discussion as you can't make your point without throwing around insulting language. I never once expressed agreement that the campaign should be shut down, you assumed that and you admitted to that incorrect assumption already even though you keep contradicting yourself since admitting the assumption was yours and was incorrect. You have yet to repeat a single thing I have said back to me correctly, you have simply repeated your initial incorrect assumption about my feelings and my position over and over again, adding hyperbolic exaggerations each time I tried to correct your assumption.

Maybe if you take a break from this discussion and calm down a bit you will be able to see more clearly where the flaws in your argument are and how you keep misrepresenting my argument and then arguing with your own misrepresentations over and over again. You seem too emotionally involved to have this discussion as it is right now.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2018, 6:49 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:

It's interesting what you see as "throwing a fit". You really need to portray my posts as more emotional than they are, when you are the one obviously emotionally involved in this discussion as you can't make your point without throwing around insulting language. I never once expressed agreement that the campaign should be shut down, you assumed that and you admitted to that incorrect assumption already even though you keep contradicting yourself since admitting the assumption was yours and was incorrect. You have yet to repeat a single thing I have said back to me correctly, you have simply repeated your initial incorrect assumption about my feelings and my position over and over again, adding hyperbolic exaggerations each time I tried to correct your assumption.

Maybe if you take a break from this discussion and calm down a bit you will be able to see more clearly where the flaws in your argument are and how you keep misrepresenting my argument and then arguing with your own misrepresentations over and over again. You seem too emotionally involved to have this discussion as it is right now.

Simply saying that I'm misinterpreting you doesn't make it true. You really did say everything that I responded to. And if I'm getting emotional you can deal with it. I'm not the one trying to shame a life saving charity and the ones who donate to it because it hurts my feelings. That by itself is far more insulting than anything I have said to you.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 6:57 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:

Simply saying that I'm misinterpreting you doesn't make it true. You really did say everything that I responded to. And if I'm getting emotional you can deal with it. I'm not the one trying to shame a life saving charity and the ones who donate to it because it hurts my feelings. That by itself is far more insulting than anything I have said to you.

Sure buddy. Have a good weekend!