Self-affirmation Pledge for those with AS

Page 5 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

industrialx
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2010, 1:11 am

My pledge is:
It's easier for people to love you if you love yourself. But if you love yourself, it doesn't matter if no-one else does, be because you have the love of the most important person - yourself.

genedig65
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jan 2011, 5:08 pm

These have worked for me all my life and I bet quite a few of you know them too!

On My Honor
I will do my Best
To Do my Duty
To God and my Country
And to obey the Scout Law
To Help Other People at All Times
To Keep Myself Physically Strong
Mentally Awake
And Morally Straight

The Scout Laws
A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly,
courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty,
brave, clean, and reverent.

I had some of the best times of my life as a Boy Scout and the experience has left a deep impression on me.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 12:04 am

I deserve to be loved.

I will not compare myself to others and will strive to do my personal best.

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2011, 9:32 pm

I loved reading these pledges! I have just received my full assessment report and am surprised at some of the test results. It's a bit unnerving, but I will keep in mind that I'm the same person I've always been. Here are some of the things that I tell myself when necessary:

*I will continue to do what is right, even if it's not what is expected or deemed appropriate by society's standards
*I will keep my word, and put forth my best effort in everything I do
*I will forgive myself for making mistakes, and learn from them
*I will make time for me, to reward myself for all the hard work I do that goes unseen and unknown by others
*I will have faith in the outside world, and believe that NT's aren't really mean, they're just largely uninformed
*I believe in neuroplasticity (the idea that the brain can change as a result of becoming aware of it's own procceses) and will continue to challenge NTs' perceptions of what aspies are
*I will take my first-hand knowledge of what it is to be marginalized and try to uplift and acknowledge others in the same position
*I will find at least one thing each day to celebrate and be thankful for

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 12:26 pm

Thank you for posting that! I read her book, and meant to write it down for myself, but forgot to before I returned the book.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 6:09 pm

sunnycat wrote:
by Liane Holliday Willey

I am not defective. I am different.

I will not sacrifice my self-worth for peer acceptance.

I am a good and interesting person.

I will take pride in myself.

I am capable of getting along with society.

I will ask for help when I need it.

I am a person who is worthy of others' respect and acceptance.

I will find a career interest that is well suited to my abilities and interests.

I will be patient with those who need time to understand me.

I am never going to give up on myself.

I will accept myself for who I am.

BS.

questions28
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

Giftorcurse wrote:
sunnycat wrote:
by Liane Holliday Willey

I am not defective. I am different.

I will not sacrifice my self-worth for peer acceptance.

I am a good and interesting person.

I will take pride in myself.

I am capable of getting along with society.

I will ask for help when I need it.

I am a person who is worthy of others' respect and acceptance.

I will find a career interest that is well suited to my abilities and interests.

I will be patient with those who need time to understand me.

I am never going to give up on myself.

I will accept myself for who I am.

BS.

perhaps for you.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 3:18 pm

I'm come to the conclusion that it's best to be contented with the person you are..

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 4:44 pm

My nephew and his wife just adopted a baby whose parents died in civil war. Civil war is too polite. The parents and many in the village were slaughtered. They went through a years-long process to be available on these lists to give a child a loving home and now a baby, who would have no home, education or future otherwise, has all the benefits of being a free American citizen in a supportive family. I don't think he'll have any confusion about being a biological child, but even without his adopted parents' DNA, he has their hearts 100%. He is my sister's first grandchild. She is a very happy grandma who drove thousands of miles just to see him at the airport when they got off the plane because she couldn't wait for a special vacation or holiday or until they settled in at home. They are a beautiful family and we all couldn't be more proud of all of them.

Not everyone is nice in this world. There is some real evil out there. But there is also tremendous good. Don't let anyone's hate drag you down. A child won't go hungry, sick, uneducated, exploited, or unloved... this is a tremendous good. Saving this one life was only possible with adoption, giving two loving and competent adults a child to parent was only possible with adoption. My nephew, his wife and their baby weren't the only people saved by adoption. Adoption has permitted the creation of many loving families. This is one of the better sides of humanity. The kind of thing that makes life worthwhile.

Revival
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2011, 8:58 am

My pledge is to grow strong enough to protect others who used to be as vulnerable as me.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 10:08 am

from the Book of Taliesin:

"I am steel; I am a druid.
I am an artificer; I am a scientific one.
I am a serpent; I am love; I will indulge in feasting.
I am not a confused bard drivelling..."

http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/t03.html

reasoning." --William Blake

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2011, 10:19 pm

On my road trips, I've done and seen a lot that most people never do, and if it weren't for my ASD, I would never have become interested in road tripping.

No matter what happens in the future, and whether I ultimately win or lose the game of life, I have to be proud of how far I've come, literally.

There's my version of the self-affirmation pledge...

My motto is,

Ride on.

**********************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

klikmaus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 May 2011, 1:28 am

sunnycat wrote:
darkscorpion wrote:
my pledge is really simple: survive!

That touched my heart... :lol: I agree to that!

Exactly.

In my case, being true to myself and who I am destroys the few relationships I have left which I have struggled so desperately to maintain. This reality we exist in is far from perfect so compromises have to be made. As I have the problem, it is I who must make the compromises. While it may be illogical in some perspectives to continue living in a situation with people who are incapable of accepting me for who I am, the alternative is far more difficult and painful. Genuine help is truly hard to come by. My philosophy of surviving is making the best of the bad situations I am presented with. Those who have positive support systems are indeed lucky as I am certain that I am not alone in being expected to conform to everyone else's set standards, and expected to do so independently. I am a FIRM believer that A.S. is both a blessing and a curse. I have believed this long before I learned of A.S. and how it is A.S. which makes me who I am. I would readily trade my musical talents, mechanical aptitude, and intelligence for below average smarts, the ability to "fit in" among my peers, and the ability to get-- and keep a job. I HATE being treated like and being called a kid every day. Due to the mistakes I made as a teen-- a direct result of not being in control of myself-- I have ruined any chances I would ever have at becoming even slightly successful. I only have hope of surviving. There is no "magic pill" which can correct my issues. there is no "magic pen" which can erase the marks on my record which hold me back from obtaining a career in that which I excel in. I have a very hard time believing I am anything but a failure.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 8:14 pm

sunnycat wrote:
by Liane Holliday Willey

I am not defective. I am different. O rly? I disagree.

I will not sacrifice my self-worth for peer acceptance. I have no peers, so check.

I am a good and interesting person. Not so.

I will take pride in myself. I don't really have a reason too.

I am capable of getting along with society. That's obviously crap.

I will ask for help when I need it. Check.

I am a person who is worthy of others' respect and acceptance. Check.

I will find a career interest that is well suited to my abilities and interests. To hell with that, I'm gonna blow sh1t up.

I will be patient with those who need time to understand me. I have more effective methods.

I am never going to give up on myself. I haven't, and won't, but I'll give up on everyone else.

I will accept myself for who I am. I have. See above.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 7:44 pm

I am not just defective. I am dead.

Power and prestige is everything.

I am a cynic.

I hate myself with a passion.

Screw society.

Why ask for help when the samaritan will stab in the back for an iPod?

To me, everyone is scum.

I'll get a job just to hold me over, but my co-workers will conspire against me.

I'm tired of waiting for people to comprehend me. It's now or never.

I am dead.

I simply don't exist.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2011, 2:26 am

I will hope everyday that I find a magic sweater-vest that will make me confident and attractive.

If only I was living in Clone High...