Are people with Aspergers more likely to commit suicide?

Page 5 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 2:44 pm

For the record, while suicide itself(and making attempts) is actually relatively rare in those who are depressed, fantasizing about it is pretty much a criteria for the condition.

Mouldy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2010, 7:24 am

I think people with AS feel more pressurised with social things and trying to understand everyone and everything that it just becomes too much and revert to suicide :( sad but true thats my guess

My favorite letter is the squiggly! ~ :D

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 3:08 pm

Quote:
Are people with Aspergers more likely to commit suicide?

Yes.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 9:54 pm

I'd say so. If life gets so bad that you can't find pleasure or see it in the future I consider suicide a good option. If i see somebody in a movie suffering from blindness or paralysis I think to myself that if I was them I would kill myself. Even in horror movies, if I knew there was no way to escape and if captured I would be tortured, suicide is the answer.

I enjoy life for the most part and wouldn't kill myself, but I consider suicide in some situations a logical and wise option. In general I think those with Autism are more likely to consider it than those without.

CosmicCowboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2010, 2:09 pm

I am 48-49 less than a year ago i was living out of my vehicle for 7 months, I have been married my unchecked conditioned probably destroyed it, and I have spent many years in lonely isolation, I am a multifaceted highly functioning AS, accomplishments of genius proportions are an arm length long. and last week before I found out about AS, I was begging God to have mercy on me and kill me and send me to hell. and then cursing him for not. With a rant that I would sure scare the hell out of a lot of AS'ers.

...for now it was an immense relief, to know I wasn't totally alone, I guess even hell likes company.

CosmicCowboy

10 May 2010, 2:38 pm

Oh yeh,

and the thought of suicide, has run through my mind at different times in my life, just a few weeks ago, knife in hand cooking then BLAM flash of incredible passion of hate and anger betrayal just a mico second and I will bleed out. Ex special forces, much specialized training, Samurai Class Dragon.

Can do this...
...then

DAMN THE LOGIC,
I haven't done anything worthy of the execution, I would be violating the Virtue I have been fighting for all these years I would be disgracing a non disgrace.

I am a Ronin of a many degrees, a Samurai can only perform Seppuku after he has desgraced his name and family, if his master disgraced himself, he would be freed to seek another, but being alone he was now RONIN, purgatory, outcast. Still standing for all that is good just and right but alone. I could not violate so many codes, my last disgrace would be greater than the first. So to be true, to truth and and what my existence has been for so far, my hand is stayed.

Crucify him?
...why what evil has he done?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 2:52 am

CosmicCowboy wrote:
I was begging God to have mercy on me and kill me and send me to hell. and then cursing him for not.

:?: why did you want god to send you to hell? [and not heaven]

sofell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2010, 3:08 am

I've got same problem also
and seeing so many people have the same problem here

my answer definitely YES

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2010, 3:13 am

I believe Aspies would be more likely to have suicidal thoughts than non-Aspies, but I doubt all Aspies are depressed. Even then, I'm sure there are ways of getting help, and suicide is a really awful extreme that no one should have to resort to.

CosmicCowboy

15 May 2010, 9:57 am

auntblabby:
why did you want god to send you to hell? [and not heaven]

...again Logical Assumption through indirect and direct association of events, If I am worthy of heaven, why couldn't the creator of the universe give me a comfort of heart, except that he denies me peace and comfort for he abhors me so their is only the alternative. He after all created all things would it be such a great thing to give me a bone, and not a stone...

Proverbs 16-7
When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.
my friends are barely at peace, forget my enemies...

I will even cut him some slack he can be liar and a cheat but at least make one of his almighty promises come true. So based on my bitter heart, that he willfully caused to be hard, he is an enemy not by my choice, for I served just like the little boy that [M_p_furo] mentioned
I served God for many years trying to please him by caring for his people, who could care less for me but I thought that was just part of the thankless, foolish Job of preaching, never got paid for it, I would never take money for being kind & loving someone, that sounds like prostitution, and there is a lot of PIMPS and WHORES in the religious world, so I had a full time job, and I ministered all through the week. Preaching on Sundays, teaching in homes, visiting the fatherless, visiting the aged. Just like it was written by the SON of MAN,
Willingly, Freely, with love...

Some of us might be created for the day of Evil...

"Romans 9:15-22
For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

Based on my knowledge, & life experiences, I am a dishonorable vessel, rejected by life...
I'm a Death Angel prepared for that day,
Given a photographic mind, with some, crazy Extra-ordinary intelligence.
Trained by the armed forces to be a cold killing machine. You will not take me alive...
So I can hit self-destruct if necessary... and complete it.
Groomed to have a callused cold heart. by family and so called friends
Trained by every social fiber known to society, to understand their worlds better than they know them.

Given a stony heart from the creator of the universe.

All I need, is to tool-up and see what my next assign will be...

I have in my years gone what I call Trolling, or Troll or Orc Hunting...

Find an infested dive of human scum, seedy bar go in and setup the bait...
ME.
right in the plain sight of all,
Ok now you scummy F's, come pick on this poor son of a b***h. (thinking I have a 6-second kill zone radius of 20 feet) and I have deliberately chosen the right type of caustic stereotype to case the greatest disdain.
IE go in to a motorcycle hells angels type of Rock n Metal bar. Dressed like a cowboy, Black Stetson, Black Duster, Sharkskin Boots in a place that is standing room only smells like a locker room with beer all over the floor. I sit down at a table and order strait whiskey. Like some crazed seen right out of a movie thriller. And believe it or not I must have looked like I was a bounty hunter fix en to put someone down because, they gave me the table to my self in a packed room, and gave me lots of room, walking way around me not near...
Then turn right around a week later put on tennis shoes a rock t-shirt, and walk into a hard core Cowboy Bar and set up bait,

What you here for,
Just troll-in, (they are thinking for girls)
I'm think-in are you the next contestant?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 5:53 am

CosmicCowboy wrote:
[edit] If I am worthy of heaven, why couldn't the creator of the universe give me a comfort of heart, except that he denies me peace and comfort for he abhors me so their is only the alternative. He after all created all things would it be such a great thing to give me a bone, and not a stone...

Your intelligence and biblical expertise far exceed that of this heathen fella. This said, i have to utter the hackneyed but appropriate aphorism, "The lord works in mysterious ways." So i ask you, if God created the whole of existence, then why would God have created something that was abhorrent to God's own self? You and me and perhaps a few billion other humans on this sufferin' planet also have been known to feel lacking more often than not. Even Mother Teresa had her moments of existential doubt-

"Where is my faith? Even deep down ... there is nothing but emptiness and darkness ... If there be God—please forgive me. When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven, there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul ... How painful is this unknown pain—I have no Faith. Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal, ... What do I labor for? If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true."

CosmicCowboy wrote:
[edit]my friends are barely at peace, forget my enemies...

Your friends and enemies have to deal with their own karma and their own relationship with God which is totally individual. Worry about your own best friend, namely yourself, the one who looks back in the mirror at you- if you are not right to YOU, then nothing you do otherwise matters.

CosmicCowboy wrote:
I will even cut him some slack he can be liar and a cheat but at least make one of his almighty promises come true. So based on my bitter heart, that he willfully caused to be hard, he is an enemy not by my choice...[edit]

The only verities on this earth, for any and all, are of eventual physical death and some type of suffering. What biblical promises are you referring-to?

It's cold comfort that the only person/entity you can count-on is yourself. whatever you do in this life, it always comes back to yourself. If you keep bitterness in your heart, that is only going to hurt you. If you take your bitterness out on the rest of God's creation, that is only going to hurt you in the end. You served God in the best way you knew to serve God, and nobody can take that away from you, but yourself if you give up the spirit and let bitterness win your soul. Don't let years of earnest effort be rent asunder by bitterness, which cracks the door to far worse things.

CosmicCowboy wrote:
Some of us might be created for the day of Evil...

Don't give in to the dark side without a knock-down drag-out fight. Why volunteer for evil? Why do what you know in your heart is evil? If somebody wronged you, then how is wronging somebody else going to do anything but prove to the author of the universe that you can be just as evil as the next guy? Don't just throw away years of good works and service to creation! If you succumb to evil, then that just means there is one less good guy in this world which needs all the good guys it can get.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 7:21 am

If parents aren't nice to their troubled offspring, they will eventually take their own lives.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2010, 12:10 am

I attempted twice last year. I was severely depressed over pretty much nothing in life going the way I wanted it to. It's pretty tough to handle and understand.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 11:29 am

Dennis wrote:
I attempted twice last year. I was severely depressed over pretty much nothing in life going the way I wanted it to. It's pretty tough to handle and understand.

i wish i was your age again.

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2010, 5:59 pm

perhapes youve already found a reasonable explanation for this.

if not then unfortunately, there seems to be a positive correlation with AS and suicide (whilst taking into account that AS varies considerably between cases)

there is a reason for this though (at least my wild speculations); there are two types of depression: the kind where one is very down for a point in his or her life, but this kind is not linked to any kind of mental or physical problem. then theres the "official case" depression, in which it is classified as an illness due to activity in the brain (this is why there are medicines that supposedly "cure" depression). This has been linked to AS brain types but as i'm aware there is not substantial proof for this, but sadly, the general trend is that AS individuals are more likely to commit suicide.

Ive felt like this myself at many times (maybe i will again). Although i realise you might want comfort more than wild hypothesis, i wish i could be of more help to you.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2010, 5:49 pm

Unless my life gets better, next year, I am going to do it. I used to be afraid of dying, but now see it as a badge of honour to escape a world where I don't really want to be in the first place.