Are people with Aspergers more likely to commit suicide?

Page 7 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

oblivionpulled
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2010, 2:32 pm

Meow101 wrote:
oblivionpulled wrote:
I have only recently begun to think about suicide.

I was a total optimist until I past middle age.

At this point I finally realized that I would never have friends, never have a partner, never be fully competent at my job, and never be able to retire with any dignity. My career and single most important accomplishment - my children - now adult and NT - reject me for my weirdness. My life is exhausting and meaningless.

Then I needed to have an operation with general anesthesia. When I awoke, I missed the oblivion of unconsciousness. I yearn for it at times. Suicide is a heavy thing to lay on children though and I love them deeply.

My kids are the only reason I haven't done it. This summer I came about a millimeter from it. I can't do it to them, ethically. So I'm here whether I like it or not, at least till they're all able to take care of themselves, and then who knows. I still might not be able to do that to them. I hate life, I hate the rejection I get from ppl, and most of all not understanding it and because I don't understand it I can't do jack sh*t about it. Every day I wish I could forget that I have that obligation and when I hear somebody dies I envy them. When things improve I don't trust them because they always turn to crap again. I don't do anything to people and they still treat me like I have the freaking plague. damn.

~Kate

I have tried so very hard to analyze behavior - other's and mine - so I could figure out how to be a good mother and good friend, but there is something essential missing that I cannot figure out. People just know that I am not okay in some way. I feel okay when I can stay home alone, but I need to be employed until my kids are on their own (they are late teens). I hate to be a ward of the state :(

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:24 pm

I imagine so.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:28 pm

---

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2011, 1:39 am

I think about it every day. And I don't have children. That's the best thing I never did, is pass on this agonizing existence to another generation. Besides, my ancestors do not deserve the honor. So, I have a pet that I love, but other than that, there's not much keeping me here

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 3:17 am

i have some more jejune thoughts/queries to air here on the special pages of WP-

does low-functioning=hermithood/high-functioning=successful NT emulation [for better or worse]?
does low-functioning=single incel virgin/high-functioning=happily randy and lucky party animal?
does low-functioning=poverty/high-functioning=upperclass mansions and toys?
does low-functioning=victim of compassionless higher-functioning bullies?

somebody please tell me that nikki bacharach is in heaven now, god rest her soul. - [click my purpleness, por favor 8O ]

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2011, 7:52 pm

I don't doubt for one second that the rate of suicide attempts and completion among people with ASD is very high and has not been adequately addressed or acknowledged.

Even now, the specter of suicide is always there, as a potential way out.

I have tried three times seriously (the second time, when I was 18, I had to be "pumped out" and remained hospitalized for almost a week) and I'm only 29.

********************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 8:19 pm

I'd bet it's high. If depression is often comorbid (or whatever the term) with AS , then I don't see why not. Ive certainly considered it myself at times in my life, though never tried. But I think many people do.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 8:29 pm

From everyhting I've read, I'd say risk of suicide in people with neurlogical disorders is significantly higher than in those without.

I have AS (and likely ADD) and I suffered from depression for a long time in my early to mid teens, but never to the point where I considered suicide. I guess I'm one of the outliers, sort of, in this community from everything I've read. I just held the idea in mind that tomorrow was a fresh start, another chance to do something I liked to do, and that was more than enough to keep me going.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 2:27 am

Zokk wrote:
From everyhting I've read, I'd say risk of suicide in people with neurlogical disorders is significantly higher than in those without. I have AS (and likely ADD) and I suffered from depression for a long time in my early to mid teens, but never to the point where I considered suicide. I guess I'm one of the outliers, sort of, in this community from everything I've read. I just held the idea in mind that tomorrow was a fresh start, another chance to do something I liked to do, and that was more than enough to keep me going.

you are fortunate to have enough of the right stuff to survive.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
you are fortunate to have enough of the right stuff to survive.

And people still tell me I'm overly negative at times; but it's mostly about concrete, tangible, personal issues. I guess at a core psychological level, I'm pretty optimistic where it counts, and pretty much addicted to life's stimuli, both internal and external.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2011, 7:05 am

marynewport wrote:
P.S. the best revenge is to live happily and well.

This.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 9:47 am

learn to love the reflection in the mirror in the morning. find something, ANYTHING, to truly love about oneself and be appreciative of. find something positive about oneself which differentiates oneself from the world of other people. there is always something.

jesuslittleaspie77
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jun 2011, 7:06 am

I don't know but I know I have been often. Have tried attempting it. It was better then it was but now i have these major mood swings. It is because we aspies feel different.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:23 pm

I've been having periodical feelings of suicidalness lately. I keep thinking about how I'm never going to compare to these NT's.

And furthermore, I'm not sure I fully understand what friendship is supposed to be. The First-grade teacher said that friends is something your supposed to "have" in order to keep you happy or something. Ever since then, I kept viewing people as objects for some reason. Psychologically, I keep thinking that friendship is necessary in order to live life when its not. I don't know how to care for other people besides myself when they start forming their "boyfriend-girlfriend relationships". Talking becomes more difficult when your not aloud to talk about certain things because they are too personal.

NT's seem so much smarter then me. They treat me like a kid sometimes.

NT's always have something to do to keep them occupied so I'm kinda curious about what they do exactly that I don't.

No one understands myself more then I do but just barely that. I don't expect them too.

For some reason, they see us as "Mentally-retarded"" or "stupid" when they come the the conclusion that we're autistic when we stay quiet for 3 weeks of school-life so they automatically ignore us.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

I do not think it is my AS that makes me suicidal....its probably the other mental issues I have including depression, anxiety, PTSD and some issues probably related to having a rather horrid childhood and A very unstable family. I am not always suicidal lately I have been kind of on and off. Also another somewhat unrelated thing that does not help is how a lot of people think people in my economic situation regardless of why are parasites, worthless, garbage ect and the media feeds on it. I guess that sort of mentality kind of disturbs me considering the sorts of things humans have been capable of in the past.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 1:19 am

many aspies who are blue about their whole situation, should take a hint from the deaf peoples' coping playbook- aspies should also have their own language and culture separate from NTs, as the deaf do from the hearing world. a deaf person doesn't consider him/herself inferior to a hearing person, just differently abled, and an aspie should think likewise about him/herself relative to NTs. just my 2-cents' worth, adjusted for inflation :)