i always seem to give up.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 8:19 pm

i always seem to give up when the going gets too difficult. when i am faced with a problem the communication challenges make things so hard for me. i see a lot of nt's doing things with their friends that look like fun but i know that i can't do those things because of my limitations. sometimes i just don't do something even though i know it is well within my capabilities just because i think it won't be fun for me, then i feel like i should have done it because it might have been fun. i don't think i will ever be as successful as many of my nt friends. i can't seem to handle big challenges its not because im lazy its because i have challenges that other people do not have.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 8:29 pm

I think it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between the challenges that would just stress you out and cause you to burn out if you were to attempt them, and the challenges that seem daunting at first but that would actually be rewarding. Sometimes we might mistake one for the either and either get stressed out by trying to do something, or persevere with something, that is too hard, or, conversely, we might miss out on something that was actually doable but that we were too afraid to try.

I think the best you can do is try when it doesn't seem too daunting, and try not to beat yourself up if it doesn't work out.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 8:36 pm

Looking back at my life, my greatest advances in life were gained in circumstances where I had no choice but to do it, ready or not. When I start a new thing, and something goes wrong, or even just not very well at the outset, my natural inclination is to quit and start over, or just plain quit. This probably was one of the things that made me leave school, but led me to join the army, where quitting simply isn't an option. I'm not saying you should do this, but if you put yourself in a situation where you CAN'T quit, where you MUST finish, no matter how bad things are going, you might find that you adapt much, much better to things than you might think.