depression vs being unhappy

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2009, 12:07 pm

Is there really a difference between the two?

At times I recall situations that have occurred that bother me. Sometimes they leave me feeling worse, other times I am able to not allow these thoughts to change how I feel. At other times when these things go through my "little brain" it chooses to ignore them.

I just don't understand any of this at all.

Does anyone else find that when they feel hungry they are not able to think clearly, and concentrate? That's how I feel now. I know if I wasn't hungry would have a lot more to add to this message. I have always had an issue with food. Really can't explain it right now, but I usually have a problem getting myself to eat something when my body says I should.

I hope to get feedback. Usually I don't. I think it's due to the way I write, my threads usually are pretty boring. No passion in them. :oops:

Thanks everybody. Hope to hear from you soon. irene

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:35 pm

irene wrote:
Is there really a difference between the two?

Generally depression is a chemical imbalance that includes other symptoms besides just sadness/unhappiness, like loss of appetite and insomnia. (Or overeating and oversleeping, for atypical depression.. although apparently about 60% of depression is atypical.. go figure.)

irene wrote:
Does anyone else find that when they feel hungry they are not able to think clearly, and concentrate? That's how I feel now. I know if I wasn't hungry would have a lot more to add to this message. I have always had an issue with food. Really can't explain it right now, but I usually have a problem getting myself to eat something when my body says I should.

Yes, totally. I get cranky, too.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 1:00 pm

irene wrote:
Does anyone else find that when they feel hungry they are not able to think clearly, and concentrate?

Low blood sugar.

Wikipedia:
Quote:
If blood sugar levels drop too low, a potentially fatal condition called hypoglycemia develops. Symptoms may include lethargy, impaired mental functioning, irritability, and loss of consciousness. Brain damage is even possible.

Has to be very severe to be fatal, but the effects happen to everybody. When blood sugar gets too low, insulin gets too high. Its why many are cranky and irritable first thing in the morning, until they've had a bite. For most of us, its the longest period of a 24 hour day, that we go without eating. That's why first meal is know as BREAK-FAST.