How do you cope when someone you love goes away?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2009, 12:52 pm

Like many of you, I'm a creature of routines and rituals and have strong attachments to people who make me feel grounded. Alone I go a bit wrong, my mind races and I have weird thoughts. Lucky for me I have a boyfriend who is also an aspie and he gets me completely. We can talk for hours. We have our ups and downs but whenever I need him he's not majorly far away. But now he's going to uni, 70 miles away. Neither of us have cars or much money. We've been together for 3 years and I know he'll stay faithful but I'm more worried about what I'll do without my emotional crutch. Any similar stories/helpful advice?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 11:36 am

Just contact by IM, e-mail, phone, Skype, etc.

70 miles isn't that far if there's good transportation.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2009, 10:53 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Just contact by IM, e-mail, phone, Skype, etc.

70 miles isn't that far if there's good transportation.

Well there isn't good transportation, as I said. We don't have cars and we won't have much money to visit each other by train. We're going to do all the stuff you suggested, we already do as we don't live together anymore. But it'll be weird him not being near enough to visit on a whim. What if something happens to me? I've already had to go through a mini version of this as he used to have a car and I would get him to come over for tiny stuff, even spiders! When his car died I had to learn how to stand on my own two feet. Now I'm independent and don't ask anything of him but I worry if there was a real crisis or emergency I'd be alone in it.