I feel like a total loser

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 6:33 pm

I feel like a total loser, to other people my life seems at least okay. But I still feel like a loser, I feel like at age 23 I have to restart my whole life. I am currently living at home with my welfare dependant dad, I still have not gotten around to getting a drivers license or a car, never been in paid work and find it very hard to find any work. I am hoping to get a car soon so I can get a job as a delivery driver.

Not mention I terrible in managing money and I am in quite big debts, I have not got much to show for this spending either. I currently have a early Pentium III TV, a very old stereo which a friend of my dad gave to us, a TV and a pay TV box, plus a few books, computer games and books.

I know things will get better in my life, I am studying accounting at university and will have a good paying job in the accounting industry in a couple of years time. I hope I can make some friends on campus and build up a social life for the first time in my life once I get back to university very soon. But until I sort my life out I am not going to into the dating scene seriously and taking any interactions with females beyond flirting.

I've paid quite a price in my life by letting my Autism run my life, I have to from now on be totally in control of my Autism or risk ruin down the road.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 7:11 pm

newchum wrote:
I feel like a total loser, to other people my life seems at least okay. But I still feel like a loser, I feel like at age 23 I have to restart my whole life. I am currently living at home with my welfare dependant dad, I still have not gotten around to getting a drivers license or a car, never been in paid work and find it very hard to find any work. I am hoping to get a car soon so I can get a job as a delivery driver.

Not mention I terrible in managing money and I am in quite big debts, I have not got much to show for this spending either. I currently have a early Pentium III TV, a very old stereo which a friend of my dad gave to us, a TV and a pay TV box, plus a few books, computer and books.

I know things will get better in my life, I am studying accounting at university and will have a good paying job in the accounting industry in a couple of years time. I hope I can make some friends on campus and build up a social life for the first time in my life once I get back to university very soon. But until I sort my life out I am not going to into the scene seriously and taking any interactions with females beyond flirting.

I've paid quite a price in my life by letting my Autism run my life, I have to from now on be totally in control of my Autism or risk ruin down the road.

I feel the same way a lot of the time. (Okay, probably not the same way, but I do feel like a loser every time I compare myself to my cousins and siblings and people I knew in high school and who I met at college during my first attempt. They are all graduated now, and I am starting over as a freshman. Two are married, all have great jobs, one even works for FOX and another as a PR rep for some company. What about that doesn't give me cause to feel like a loser?

I'm 22, I live at home, I still don't drive, I've managed to spend a TON of money I've made from working at my lousy job. I have a credit card I have to pay off, plus about $6000 in student loans that I'm paying off until the Fall when I start school again. And all I have to show for it being put on academic probation, and a nifty computer that is going to be replaced by an even niftier iBook.

I hope things get better, and I think they will. I got a handle on my money by hiring my dad as my accountant. I get $50 a paycheck for petty cash, and bigger expeditures as we discuss. School is going to be harder to conquer, but I think I've worked out systems that will help me succeed...plus, I KNOW what the problem is now, whereas before, I just figured I wasn't cut out for school and that I was inherently lazy when it came to school.

And you know what else? At my job, despite the fact that I live at home and am autistic, there are people there who are so much worse off than I am because they made silly choices. I guess it's not very nice, but whenever I go to work, I always end up leaving feeling a little better about myself, and whenever I feel like a loser, I try to remember that there's always a worse story. It doesn't really work, but sometimes it does.

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 8:12 pm

Too true. No matter how bad things seem, there's always someone out there who's got it worse.

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

jman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 8:10 am

dexkaden wrote:
newchum wrote:

Not mention I terrible in managing money and I am in quite big debts, I have not got much to show for this spending either. I currently have a early Pentium III TV, a very old stereo which a friend of my dad gave to us, a TV and a pay TV box, plus a few books, computer and books.

I know things will get better in my life, I am studying accounting at university and will have a good paying job in the accounting industry in a couple of years time. I hope I can make some friends on campus and build up a social life for the first time in my life once I get back to university very soon. But until I sort my life out I am not going to into the scene seriously and taking any interactions with females beyond flirting.

I feel the same way a lot of the time. (Okay, probably not the same way, but I do feel like a loser every time I compare myself to my cousins and siblings and people I knew in high school and who I met at college during my first attempt. They are all graduated now, and I am starting over as a freshman. Two are married, all have great jobs, one even works for FOX and another as a PR rep for some company. What about that doesn't give me cause to feel like a loser?

I'm 22, I live at home, I still don't drive, I've managed to spend a TON of money I've made from working at my lousy job. I have a credit card I have to pay off, plus about $6000 in student loans that I'm paying off until the Fall when I start school again. And all I have to show for it being put on academic probation, and a nifty computer that is going to be replaced by an even niftier iBook.

I hope things get better, and I think they will. I got a handle on my money by hiring my dad as my accountant. I get $50 a paycheck for petty cash, and bigger expeditures as we discuss. School is going to be harder to conquer, but I think I've worked out systems that will help me succeed...plus, I KNOW what the problem is now, whereas before, I just figured I wasn't cut out for school and that I was inherently lazy when it came to school.

And you know what else? At my job, despite the fact that I live at home and am autistic, there are people there who are so much worse off than I am because they made silly choices. I guess it's not very nice, but whenever I go to work, I always end up leaving feeling a little better about myself, and whenever I feel like a loser, I try to remember that there's always a worse story. It doesn't really work, but sometimes it does.

You guys really shouldn't compare yourselves to others. It's unhealthy and quite pointless. It's pointless because at some point everybody runs into hard times in their lives. Dexkaden those HS friends of your that are married, their marriage could end in divorce, one of them might lose their jobs, or one of their kids might *gasp* turn out to be autisitc (god forbid :roll: )

Anyways stop feeling sorry for yourself because you're *currently* not where you want to be in life. Everybody moves through life at a different pace. You're making an effort to improve your situation. a true loser is someone who makes no effort to improve their situation.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 5:34 pm

Oh yes, I know this. Sometimes, though, writing it down makes it easier to realize. And it's not every day, mind you, just some days. I think everyone has those days.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 6:32 pm

Don't feel like you're a loser because, at the end of the day, you're not. From what I can gather from the second half of your post you know what sort of things you want to do and seem determined to do them. And you have also decided that you cannot let your autism control your life which is good. I'm, like yourself, 23 years old and I am jobless (I walked out of my last one, my first ever full time job) and having to depend on relatives. Sometimes we need to do this in order to move on. The way I look at my situation is that I have nothing to lose but everything to gain (for me thats job, my own place, my independence and a driving licence). By the sounds of it you are taking steps to go towards doing what you want in life and does that make you a loser? No.