Major league sensory overload

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

merll2005
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2006, 1:49 am

Last Sunday at about 2am, three guys came into my dorm room to talk to my roomate. I talk to them a good bit too so that didn't bother me. I knew they were drunk but they had never cause any problem. The difference was this time there were three of them and they were in a semi-circle behind me and I was at my desk. That combined with the fact that they reeked like alcohol and smoke. Then one of them reached next me to look at something on my desk. I don't remember the next undetirmined amount of time beyond that. I just remember everyting echoing and getting louder. I only saw a narrow field of about 10 degrees and , and then I began to feel compression and I don't know if I actually could but when I tried to move my arm it seemed incredibly heavy and it seem as if I couldn't move. That is still bothering me. It wasn't the fist time I have had some kind of sensory overload but it was the first time it was that bad and that sudden. It was the first time I was actually terrified by something like that. When I realized that it scared me even more. I think it lasted about 5 minutes but at the time it seemed like days. I really don't even know why I'm posting this but I got this far so I'll post it anyway.

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Feb 2006, 2:38 am

A lot of people at college are really immature. :x

merll2005
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2006, 11:49 am

alex wrote:
A lot of people at college are really immature. :x

Yes, the pope is catholic. The thing was is that 2 out of the three people I talk to quite a bit and they didn't really do anything out of line. Especially since I told him he could look at what he was reaching for, this was before I realized there were three of them. I just never had that amount of helplessness and fear from that sort of thing.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 3:41 pm

They were very lucky some people like me don't freeze up but go directly to fight or flight mode when overloaded or suprised I'm not the easygoing type and react very poorly without thinking. I had one of my roomates friends on the floor in a head lock before even I realized what was happening. Not good, I'm somewhat better at controling it now but still have my moments.

merll2005
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2006, 4:59 pm

I was in flight or fight. My first instinct was flight but I when I went to move I realized I was surrounded and I couldn't move back because my chair wouldn't move (I had one of my shoes behind it). That sent me into the deep dread to the point where I just started to overload to the point that I couldn't move or see or hear anything recognizable. I only got there when fight or flight didn't work

parts
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 7:02 pm

Quote:
That sent me into the deep dread to the point where I just started to overload to the point that I couldn't move or see or hear anything recognizable

for me thats when things get dangerous just start lashing out in every direction full force like I said I'm much better now then when I was in school. Freezing up is probally a bit safer( but no less frustating for you) for everyone but maybe you should have a talk with whichever one your most comfortable about doing things like that in the future to avoid possible problems

merll2005
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2006, 10:42 pm

parts wrote:
Quote:
That sent me into the deep dread to the point where I just started to overload to the point that I couldn't move or see or hear anything recognizable

for me thats when things get dangerous just start lashing out in every direction full force like I said I'm much better now then when I was in school. Freezing up is probally a bit safer( but no less frustating for you) for everyone but maybe you should have a talk with whichever one your most comfortable about doing things like that in the future to avoid possible problems

Yeah, I want to talk to one of them but, I don't want to exlain why what they did bothered me and there isn't any good expaination that won't require going places I don't want to go.