Botched medical care (female issues) - Rant

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2010, 10:34 am

So, after having horrible headaches for months, and being told by several doctors it was due to alleriges, my husband finally reads, in detail, all of the side effects on all my prescriptions. My "migraines" were a side effect of the nasonex. Against the allergists advice I stopped taking it.

I felt much better, but still very fatigued and having bizarre mood changes. Again I did the rounds of doctors.

Still feeling bad, and remembering my husband's AHA moment with the nasonex, I put two and two together. "I feel really fatigued, irritable, and overall SICK. I feel like I'm pregnant. (I had two horrid pregnancies, nearly died). I can't be pregnant, I have an IUD." AHA There is something wrong with the IUD.

I went to the OBGYN to have the IUD taken out. At first she said, this doesn't have side effects, but I'll take it out if you want. After poking around some she said "I can't see it. We need to do this in the ultrasound room."

I get the ultra sound. The IUD isn't where it's supposed to be. She pokes around some more with the ultrasound technician pushing real hard on my abdomen to try to poke the sucker to a place she can reach it. No luck. Very Very Very Painful!! ! Unspeakably painful.

The look on her face is the same look my three year old gets when the Mallificent curses Sleeping Beauty. The look on her face is saying - "This is bad. This is scary bad. I don't think I can handle all this scary badness."

She tells me to come back on Sat. so that the head of the practice can try to get it out, if not, surgery. She then prescibes serious antibiotics (just in case she may have scratched me a bit) while poking around in there.

Now I am having a bad reaction to the antibiotics. I'm having CONTRACTIONS!! !! This is really really painful.

I am starting to really dislike doctors.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 11:08 am

This is why I get very squeamish when I mention my particular bout of mensy problems and the answer is always.....Go to a doctor....... 8O.....Yeeeeee!! !! You know..that you have the right to sue these people....especially if they are the ones who put the iud in you....

glamourdollxoxo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2010, 9:00 pm

I would go to the ER I had pargard in and it was so painful and when my doctor couldn't help me I went to the ER and it came out easy. If you are in that much pain dont hesitate to go in and get looked at.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2010, 12:42 pm

Ruddy medicos.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 5:10 pm

I spent a couple of months working in a gynae clinic and from what I saw, the vast majority of IUD's are easily removed, but some do get lodged. It's not usually due to any incompetence on the part of the doctors, just bad luck. Your doctors were probably correct to refer you to the senior doctor; I've seen one get a stuck one out in under a minute. The junior doctor probably didn't want to continue poking around any longer than necessary because she knew it was hurting you.

If you feel you are having a bad reaction to the antibiotics, ask for different ones. Don't stop them until you are told to though, or you could end up with serious blood poisoning.

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2010, 6:50 pm

Lene, you are exactly right. The senior doctor had it out in under a minute, no pain.
They had me stop taking the antibiotics.
Looking back, none of it was really due to the incompetance of the doctors, more that my body is having uncommon reactions to standard proceedures. My body just doesn't appear to tolerate alien stuff like allergens, iud's, and prescriptions.

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2010, 9:44 am

I'm glad it worked out for you. Yikes! Just thinking about that made me cross my legs into a vise-like pretzel! *shudder*

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 9:57 am

yeah, glad to hear everything turned out ok! :)