Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Seris
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2011, 7:22 pm

I'm looking to find a new medication. I was on Lexipro for a while and that was working, but the effects faded and then it was doing more harm than good. That is what usually happens to me on medications. It works great for a while and then the beast breaks free. I am an Aspie and Bipolar. I also have sever anxiety. I just need something to handle my nerves and even out the manias. I do see a psychiatrist, but nothing she has prescribed has been very helpful. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

anikatheoddone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm

dont worry your not the only one. my friends were put on meds that did all kinds of things, one even became suicidal! i've never taken meds myself and im glad i havent!! !! !!

hyperbole
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:10 pm

perhaps a new class of drug. lexapro is a SSRI

there are other classes of antidepressants
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
Noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressants (NaSSAs)
Norepinephrine (noradrenaline) reuptake inhibitors (NRIs)
Norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs)
Selective serotonin reuptake enhancers (SSREs)
Norepinephrine-dopamine disinhibitors (NDDIs)
Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
Monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOIs)

so there are other classes of meds that may suit your brain chemistry a little better. You need to cover it with your Psychiatrist

utherdoul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2011, 12:08 am

I've been on meds for most of my life. I started smoking and I'm off all my other drugs. I'm not saying its a good route to go but its certainly helped me.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 Jan 2011, 3:29 pm

If I was you i'd stop all meds. side effects really arent worth feeling like a slobbering zombie that has no idea of whats going on

when i took medications, thats exactly how I felt.

Seris
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jan 2011, 6:47 pm

The only problem with all the medications that i've tried is that they screw with my emotions worse than what is already happening. Not being on a medication is not an option right now because my mood swings are really erratic. One minute I'm relatively happy and then five minutes later I could be crying my eyes out for no reason. Like hysterical, scare your sister when she hears you crying, crying. I didn't even know what I was upset about I was just upset.

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 7:59 pm

Perhaps it would be better to try and go drug free for a while, and perhaps ask for some psychotherapy sessions to help you with any emotional problems you are having? There is no cure-all pill for these things, often a combination of medication and regular therapy, or just a good therapist on there own, works for a lot of people. These drugs all have adverse effects, and are not surefire answers to life's problems.

Andie09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2011, 12:28 am

Yes, being drug free is ideal, but it's not always an option. I have bipolar and aspergers as well and I need my meds to survive without a doubt. According to my psychiatrist (who actually is aspie himself), antidepressants are bad news for people with bipolar. Zoloft induced manic episodes for me and made me a nutcase. I'm currently taking a cocktail including an anticonvulsant, antipsychotic, and mood stabilizer. All are at low doses but have worked miracles. For example, in college I went from having dropped out twice with a 2.2 GPA to working a 17 credit hour semester ending with a 3.9. Perhaps you should mention these drugs to your doctor...or even better find a new one.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 1:17 am

If you do go off drugs, do it gradually.

I know when I miss my anti-anxiety pill for a couple days, I can feel what seem to be electrical discharges (I would know, I've been shocked so many times...) inside my head/face now and then. Probably not a good thing.