heaven help those that are in the way of humans

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 9:40 am

i never create new topics, and i have searched for a topic that i could say this in, but i did not find any topics that were appropriate.

i want to say in my preamble, that i do not expect any "hugs" or stuff like that, and i also will possibly not return to this thread to respond to any correspondence to me.

i always have had a dim view of the way humans pave the world over with their roads, and how they cut the trees down and level the ground so they can build houses for themselves, and make money to feed their families at the expense of what they see as lesser lives (innocent animals).

humans just bulldoze the habitat of non human lives in the self justified belief that they are god's favorite beings, and that the world belongs to them.

humans get a notion that they must go somewhere, and if any non human gets in their way, they will be annihilated..

the reason i am writing this is this:

today i was driving in my car along a road that was one lane in each direction. as i was driving along, i saw a pigeon sitting on the road in the center of the lane on the other side of the road. i thought "goodness! that bird looks like it is not going to move even if a car comes toward it". as i passed by, i saw that it did not look injured, and it was looking around in a terrified fashion, but it failed to get up and fly off as it should.

there were cars coming the other way, and i looked in my rear view mirror and i saw 4 cars drive straight over the top of the pigeon, but the pigeon was not hurt because it passed under the center of the cars.

i wondered how anyone that was driving toward it could continue to drive over it without stopping, as it was obvious that the pigeon was not going to move.

i decided to do a U turn and return to it, but i had to go another 500 metres (1/3 mile approx) before i could do a U turn due to the narrowness of the road.

i intended go back to the bird and stop where the bird was and put my hazard lights on, and i did not care less how many people got angry behind me. i was going take my shirt off and gather the bird in my shirt and take it to a vet. i would have told the vet that i would pay whatever it takes to help it.

as i was desperately looking for where i could do a U turn my heart started to panic on behalf of the bird, and i felt so deeply the panic it must have felt having to let cars undercarriages pass over it's head. i thought "because the bird is in the middle of the lane, then there is little chance that any tire would have hit him by the time i get back there".

when i got back there, i saw it was flattened on the road. it was squashed as flat as a piece of cardboard.

i pulled over and took about 20 minutes to recover, and i hated humanity more than i ever did before.

heaven did not help that sweet little one that was so helpless in the face of humans who flattened it on their way to their non essential destinations.

i have not yet gotten it out of my system. the bird was alive and looking around in fear, and i so understood what it must be feeling, and a few minutes later it was pressed feathers and blood squished on the road.

everyone must have seen that it was alive as they drove toward it, and no one thought it important enough to stop and prevent it from being run over.

and as i write this, i see a justin bieber ad on the left and i just think "what a twisted species of animal are humans"

whatever. sorry to take up your time, but that pigeon had one life in the forever of time and it is gone now. i created a new thread solely for the memory of that sweet birds life.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:06 am

I understand the feeling. It's visceral. I once saw a squirrel caught in the middle of six lanes of heavy traffic. I could feel the squirrel's panic. Something like that bothers me for days.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2010, 10:21 am

There are a lot of people out there that make me ashamed of humans.

However, bear in mind that there would have been other drivers who would have avoided that pigeon too, so you're not alone in despairing of the inhuman morons.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:23 am

Aimless wrote:
I understand the feeling. It's visceral. I once saw a squirrel caught in the middle of six lanes of heavy traffic. I could feel the squirrel's panic. Something like that bothers me for days.

it is visceral i agree. i hope that it only takes days for me to get over it.
the poor little squirrel. i guess the squirrel did not survive?

all the truckloads of junk that rollover the highways do not equal the life of the squirrel in my mind.

humans can kill life easily, but they can not create it or resurrect it.

humans march on in a diminishing spiral of worth in the eyes of any mind that sees the value of reality.

i will never interfere with the world so do not worry about the scant accord that i attribute to humans.

some people are very beautiful, but when i look at a surging traffic jam of destruction, i do not bother to search for any.

i am off to sleep now so i will not reply again tonight.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:30 am

SilentScream wrote:
There are a lot of people out there that make me ashamed of humans.

However, bear in mind that there would have been other drivers who would have avoided that pigeon too, so you're not alone in despairing of the inhuman morons.

thanks for your nice words, but it remains the fact that the pigeon was killed within 6-7 minutes of human progress.

i must admit i was surprised and i am trying to think of a reason they may not have noticed the bird.

i do not hate humans. i am just disappointed. i will return to a state of benign benevolence after a few days. it just happened today and i reacted psychologically in a severe way to it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:47 am

b9 wrote:
i always have had a dim view of the way humans pave the world ...cut the trees down ... level the ground ...
... on their way to their non essential destinations.

Such as your own while you were out traveling?! ;)

b9 wrote:
today ... driving ... i saw a pigeon sitting on the road ...
... and i saw 4 cars drive straight over the top of the pigeon ...

Paved world or not, that is definitely a sad commentary on us human beings.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 11:01 am

Poor bird. It's such a minor thing to slow down and drive around an animal in the road. It's hard enough for them that there are roads in the middle of their habitat. People should take care not to hit them,. We owe them that much at the very least.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 11:06 am

b9 wrote:
heaven did not help that sweet little one ...

Janissy wrote:
People should take care not to hit them ...

So then, it really was only our own fault.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 11:24 am

Very sorry to hear that. People are so callous. I had a similar thing happen but it was a cat. Poor creature was alive bleeding from a head wound and people just drove past. Myself and my mom wrapped him in a coat and took him off to the vet but he died anyway. :(

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:43 pm

I agree. I always bring up the holocaust in comparison to slaughterhouses and it's rarely a popular opinion.
It's a deep rooted instinct for humans not to kill humans, people will justify killing animals with any number of excuses because it doesn't naturally pack the same emotional punch.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:54 pm

I think it hurts more.

I brake and swerve for animals. I won't go around if there is another car behind me (because what if I go around and they go straight and hurt the animal?) People should stop devaluing the lives of nonhumans. I'm so sorry to hear about the pigeon. I would not have read through if I knew it would end so sadly.

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2010, 1:04 pm

when i was a child i placed a realistic stuffed squirrel in the middle of the road to see if people would slow down to let it pass (i attached a fishing line to make it move a little). i hid in the bushes alongside the road and watched for a while. many cars slowed down, probably long enough to see that it was not alive, and then moved on. a small majority behaved as if they did not notice it. i am sure that most of them did but felt that they had the right-of-way. a few people went out of their way to hit it.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:46 pm

I can't understand those that tear flowers, cut down trees for no proper reason either (like building a garage or a shopping mall) - even less so those that would cold-bloodily kill a pigeon. Just running after whatever it seems so much important - catching some silly quiz show on the TV? Football game?

Oh well, 40 more years to go, then I luckily won't have to see or hear about such matters any more.

Last edited by Booyakasha on 03 Nov 2010, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:54 pm

soon enough this earth will slough-off its human infestation.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 12:12 am

I agree with you, and would have been really shaken by that incident as well. I feel embarrassed to be human sometimes. :(

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 1:40 am

Don't worry about it. pigeons and squirrels are not endangered species. If you stopped in the middle of the road to help the pigeon, you might have only ended up with a wrecked car and possibly getting your ass kicked. If you crash into somebody or cause somebody when dodging and animal in the road, you are likely to get sued. if there is ever another animal in the road, it is best for all concerned if you run it over or let it get run over.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud