Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2006, 8:41 pm

Hey, guys. I need your help. I think I am becoming way too addicted to the Internet. TOday, I planned to listen to CDs and relax on my bed for the afternoon, and instead, I stayed on the Internet with the RADIO on, only getting up from it to get a load of laundry done or use the bathroom. I was able to successively get off a few times, but when I did, I kept thinking up various topics to look up, mainly ceiling fans and parenting articles. Now, everytime I think about listening to CDs or watching DVDs, I instead get on the Internet.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can better control the time I spend online?

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

12 Jun 2006, 12:08 am

Man, I've got the same problem. I sit down to check my mail, then end up on Wikipedia for two hours, somehow going from Air Force One to pygmies to Charles In Charge. It's insane.

One thing I do when I'm working is I have a little kitchen timer that tells me when I can stop working.

Maybe the same would work for when to start.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2006, 1:31 pm

Nuttdan wrote:
Man, I've got the same problem. I sit down to check my mail, then end up on Wikipedia for two hours, somehow going from Air Force One to pygmies to Charles In Charge. It's insane.

One thing I do when I'm working is I have a little kitchen timer that tells me when I can stop working.

Hmmmmmmm, that sounds like a good idea.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 3:32 pm

I spend a hell of a lot of time on the Internet.

I do not really do anything useful, I just play and chat. The most i have spent on the computer in a day is around 16 hours.

I wouldn't worry. I don't. :D

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 3:57 pm

Yeah I spend to much time on the internet too. Don't worry

SparKitsune
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2006, 8:20 pm

hyper_alien wrote:
I spend a hell of a lot of time on the Internet.

I do not really do anything useful, I just play and chat. The most i have spent on the computer in a day is around 16 hours.

I wouldn't worry. I don't. :D

I don't want to be mean, but I have to say, if you can't control being on the computer, it just might be something to worry about. I can't say that I'm a hypocrite for saying that, but I definately have to say that I know this same feeling. As a result of my lack of control on the computer (and other stuff, too), I have to have some people try to help me control the time I spend on the computer with a schedule and put a little more involvement socially outside the internet. Even though I don't 100% agree with the things they have planned for me, I guess I get enough of the point to know that I should limit my time more on the computer. =/

Now, the only advice I can really say is to set your time limits on the computer according to how comfortable you, yourself, feel. If you think you might need some counseling on that, you can feel free to do so, but take to consideration that sometimes their advice might not fit your comfort zone.

Bleh, I know, psychology is confusing, but I hope my advice at least helped a little. I know how being in that situation feels, believe me. :?

Oh, and Tigerfire, no offense, but your avatar's too big. If you want to put that picture in your signature, I'm sure that might be okay.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2006, 12:12 am

Stereokid wrote:
Hey, guys. I need your help. I think I am becoming way too addicted to the Internet. TOday, I planned to listen to CDs and relax on my bed for the afternoon, and instead, I stayed on the Internet with the RADIO on, only getting up from it to get a load of laundry done or use the bathroom. I was able to successively get off a few times, but when I did, I kept thinking up various topics to look up, mainly ceiling fans and parenting articles. Now, everytime I think about listening to CDs or watching DVDs, I instead get on the Internet.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can better control the time I spend online?

I can get that way.. I have before... several times. One thing that kicks me into reality, is after an intital upset, I decide it's time to do something about it. Sometimes I have to literally force myself to not use the computer.

If you don't have the power to do this.. get your parents or someone to change the logon password, and let you on once a day.

You've made the first step: Admitting you've got a problem. Well done for having the guts to admit that.

hyper_alien- that's very unhealthy. It might seem okay when you're a kid.. but as you get older youc an't do that. The world around you desintigrates and the internet becomes the centre of your universe. If you want a decent life at all I would start trying to control it.

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2006, 2:46 pm

Nuttdan wrote:

Hahah I waste a lot of time this way too. Even worse, every bit of information that comes across my awareness ends up getting stored automatically so now my brain is full of useless trivia. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2006, 4:39 pm

Everywhere that there's an Internet connection, there's a good chance that I'll be Logged-On at some point, durring my time there, even if I'm only there for two hours.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2006, 5:13 pm

I feel same way, I sometimes feel I spend too much time on here (time flies when having fun chatting and imming!!) hey hyper_alian, I BEAT YOU IN TIME!! my longest time on internet was 48 hours once with toilet and trips to fridge during time. the next day I slept most of the day and the day after that I was back on later :lol: some people thought my internet was broken or had a computer virus that makes puter stay on internet. I have been on this laptop soo long that the touchpad has a smooth spot in middle. (its a month old)longest time I went WITHOUT using puter, was about a week and half.

i know its not the healthiest thing to stare at a screen for that long of time but the secret is to the long puter use is for about every 10 to 15 minutes look at something else in a distance then return to computer so your eye's internal muscles dont cramp up

when im on its yim, aim, aol browser (tabbed browsing) #wrongplanet, #windows irc channels, yahoo voice chat room, doityourself.com message board, and ebay about 2 times a week, also yahoo answers and lets not forget smartcomputing website too!(mostly chat and message boards are on my screen)

about every 2 months i will look at door hardware manufactes and visit the sites and pdf documents on hinges, door closers(those things that pull doors shut usually seen at top of door or on middle of push side on storm door), door openers, locks, knobs to see if any improvements or new ones are out there to self teach myself in their repair in the case someone has a broken one ill know what to do or say or suggest.

ElliottHird
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2006, 5:06 am

I spend around 17 hours a day on the computer, and I really wish I didn't. -_-

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 8:38 am

I don't know how long I spend my time on the internet, but I take a 5 minute break between every 1 hour (or 30 minutes). It's better for your eyes this way.

I think that those of you who spend a really long time should take at least a 5 minute break between every 1 hour (some people say 15 minute breaks are better though). It's not good for your eyes to use the computer for so long and not take breaks.

One strategy for fighting addiction: If you get the thought of using the comptuer, don't fight the thought or feel demoralized. Ignore the thought and let it weaken. Notice I said "let it weaken" and not "force it to weaken". If you force it to weaken, you are basically fighting the thought. IF you just let it weaken, you ignore the thoguht, which is what you want to do.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 10:30 am

Eh, I'm on alot, usually getting up only to run. I'm usually only on forums or KoL, so if noone's talking, or I've finished for the day, I usually get off.

TijuanaLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2006, 11:40 am

When Im home (which is most of the time) my PC is ALWAYS open. The first thing I do when I wake up is not going to the bathroom, just open my PC. Im really addicted, I say I spent 8-14 hours per day (always with breaks) on the Internet. I dont mind though, the Internet is huge...I mean you can socialize, read, watch videos, music...If you manage to exrcise a little or just go for a walk every day, theres nothng wrong with that.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 11:53 am

I think that it's useful to make a schedule when trying to manage your time. For instance, plan when to go on the internet, and make a to-do list for what you want to do. I still have a little trouble with this, so we're kind of in it together! But yeah, I feel that a lot more gets done when you make a schedule, and then you choose to follow it every day.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 11:31 pm

I've logged-onto the Internet five times, today while I was at my Clubhouse. Mind you, I was there for eleven hours, today.