I don't understand: Shouldnt I be happy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 2:02 pm

My life has gotten waay better. My mother and I are on friendly terms, I MAY get back into therapy, I passed all my exams and didn't have to take 2 of them because of my high grades, I'm in honors classes, my step dad actually said he was proud of me, and I somehow became very popular in my new guild on WoW. So what's depressing me? I MAY HAVE talked a guy out of suicide. No reason to be depressed there. So why am I?

We met completely by chance online on some website. I was honestly just there to troll because I have nothing better to do at 12 AM. But before I could type whatever it was I was gonna type, he tells me he is about to kill himself. For all I know, this guy was lying about being suicidal, but I decided not to take the chance and I tried to talk him out of it. Two hours later, he says I gave him something to think about and that he wouldn't kill himself just then. I gave him my crap email address in case he needed to talk again, and he hasn't tried to communicate with me since so I assume/hope he is okey. Nor has he spammed me or delievered any viruses.

Whenever I slow down, I start thinking about that guy again. What if he really had been holding a gun to his head? What if I hadn't been there; would anyone else have tried to help him? What if he was just lying and I'm worrying over nothing? Afterall, who goes telling strangers that he's gonna kill himself (he said that he had more of a chance with a stranger than with the people he knew, but whatever). Assuming he was telling the truth, why does it bother me? Shouldn't I be happy he isn't going to be a statistic?

Sorry for the rant; I've lost sleep over this.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 2:26 pm

Maybe you're just feeling emotionally drained from the experience? Or talking to this guy brought up unpleasant memories from your own past?

Either way, well done for talking him out of it. Even if he wasn't 100% serious about it, you probably helped by listening.

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 3:22 pm

I'm soooooo happy to hear that you are feeling better, GammaGeek. I know you've been through difficult times, but things seem to be improving at long last.

And concerning your experience with this guy, I think you have done well. Even if he was not seriously suicidal, you cannot possibly have caused harm by this and you intended to do the best you could. Try to take pride in helping another person and not to feel doubt or guilt about it. There is nothing you have to blame yourself for in this. :)

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 4:09 pm

Lene wrote:
Maybe you're just feeling emotionally drained from the experience? Or talking to this guy brought up unpleasant memories from your own past?

Okey, this is plausible. I was suicidal at a young age until just a few weeks ago when I finally stopped wanting to die, so theres the bad memories. And I'm always emotionally drained lol.
Thanks guys. It's not that I feel guilty, its just that if I wasn't there, some guy I never would meet would have killed himself and I would never have known. Eh, that doesn't make sense. I'm fretting over what MAY have gone wrong in the past even though everything's okey. I hope he's still alright...

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 4:18 pm

GammaGeek wrote:
Eh, that doesn't make sense. I'm fretting over what MAY have gone wrong in the past even though everything's okey.

This is what I was trying to express. Take pride in what you did for this guy and don't fret over what else might have happened. You can never know that anyway and you did the best you could.

hello07
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2011, 5:40 pm

Feelings are so wierd sometimes...

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 10:20 pm

hello07 wrote:
Feelings are so wierd sometimes...

Isn't that the truth. I should be happy and yet I'm sad. I feel a little better now, thank yins!