Worried about my future career as a Graphic/web designer...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2011, 2:03 pm

Today, a creative director from a graphics corp, came for a lecture to tell my class about Interactive media work. He showed us his powerpoint. And told us that it's now when you have to choose which way to go(animator,designer,etc....), no problem there, designer for me... But when he told about the monthly salary, it was low. And for some reason, I became depressed.... At the same time, it was pressuring work, actually designing as fast as possible without bothering with perfection. I'm afraid that this would make me loose my appreciation for the art itself... :cry:

I'm not sure what's wrong with me when hearing about getting a job and stuff? Having to sit in a cramped cubicle, pressured to rush work without thinking of perfection?

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 2:59 pm

Kvornan wrote:
Having to sit in a cramped cubicle, pressured to rush work without thinking of perfection?

Sounds like a job to me

Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2011, 7:00 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
Kvornan wrote:
Having to sit in a cramped cubicle, pressured to rush work without thinking of perfection?

Sounds like a job to me
Well, not my ideal way of engaging with art.... Designer monthly salary here: $250-$470... not that much

raspberryswirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jan 2011, 9:58 am

You could always peddle your wares all around the area or in online positions as a freelance web designer! That way you'd possibly get a bit more creative freedom and time to make things look as nice as you want them to.

That goes on and on; as it's been, so it shall be

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 10:52 am

Kvornan wrote:
MidlifeAspie wrote:
Kvornan wrote:

Sounds like a job to me
Well, not my ideal way of engaging with art.... Designer monthly salary here: $250-$470... not that much

I am not versed in average salaries in Thailand. How does that compare to a waiter or a retail job?