Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

NomadicAssassin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2011, 3:30 pm

I have a bad case of separation anxiety, where when my mom leaves the house or I go to school I start to get really paranoid even a little scared, how do I counter this?

Albert Einstein

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:58 pm

The normal way for small children to deal with separation anxiety is to find a substitute object which they use to calm themselves when their mother is not around. In a way they project their feelings towards their mother onto this object and having this object with them makes it easier to deal with their mother being away. In a way that object becomes a substitute mother that helps the child to deal with his/her emotions. In many cases this object is some kind of toy (like a teddy bear) or the proverbial security blanket.

I'm not saying that I think you are on the emotional level of a small child. What I'm trying to get at is that there is a very effective way to deal with separation anxiety that works for most people without them even fully realizing it at the time. Maybe you can find a way to use this mechanism to deal with your mother's absence? For example, a mobile phone can also be a token of your being able to call you mother at any time and talk to her. Or a small, soft object could be kneaded and help you to dissipate some of the emotional energy into physical activity. Something that belongs or belonged to your mother might also be helpful as it would remind you of her and of how she takes care of you even when she's away.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 11:43 pm

FluffyDog wrote:
The normal way for small children to deal with separation anxiety is to find a substitute object which they use to calm themselves when their mother is not around. In a way they project their feelings towards their mother onto this object and having this object with them makes it easier to deal with their mother being away. In a way that object becomes a substitute mother that helps the child to deal with his/her emotions. In many cases this object is some kind of toy (like a teddy bear) or the proverbial security blanket.

I did that, wait dose an imaginary friend count?

SaNcheNuSS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 6:12 am

NomadicAssassin wrote:
I have a bad case of separation anxiety, where when my mom leaves the house or I go to school I start to get really paranoid even a little scared, how do I counter this?

Is there something you could wear that would be on you at all times, relating to your mother?

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 12:31 pm

Titangeek wrote:
FluffyDog wrote:

I did that, wait dose an imaginary friend count?

Yes, I think an imaginary friend can become a substitute mother object as well, although it/he/she would be a rather immaterial object/person. The point is simply that the child's emotions towards his/her mother get transferred to another object that is likely to be with the child when the mother is not. In some cases this can be a rather unusual object. Some children like to carry around some kind of tool or a picture book, so why shouldn't some children use their imaginary friend in this way?