What happens when you get overstimulated?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Prksrbrt
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2010, 12:34 am

I get twitchy and shaky when I get overstimulated. It's more violent than shivering and if I am super stressed when it happens I shutdown. What happens when you get overstimulated?

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 2:48 am

I get blunt.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:30 am

My thought processes get blocked, like a traffic jam.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2010, 5:16 am

Does anyone black out on sensory overload?

I've a feeling I might have done, once.

jec6613
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2010, 6:47 am

oddone wrote:
Does anyone black out on sensory overload?

If the overload continues, yes I can and have. It's why I've only ever told one other person my triggers.

I used to hyperventillate, but I learned to kinda control that by closing my throat so instead I just kinda give a whole torso shudder. I also stop thinking clearly, become nearly nonverbal and if I'm standing I have to concentrate to keep my balance and keep from falling.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 7:38 am

I start off by getting twitchy, which turns into stimming (which I hope still just looks like "twitchy," but I certainly can't judge). If the over-stimulation continues for more than a few moments, the twitching/stimming stops and is replaced by a sort of derealization. Like jec6613, I become essentially nonverbal and have trouble thinking clearly. In fact, I have a lot of difficulty processing any information at all when over-stimulated; I have trouble understanding sounds and, especially, words (which reach me as mostly-meaningless sounds). Everything blurs into one poorly-processed cacophony of sound and light, while I am inside my body thinking, "You know what's going on. This is overload. Just focus." Which, of course, does not work in the slightest.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 9:33 pm

From stress, I feel like someone just got done shocking me with a taser for a while - weak, shaky as a leaf, I start feeling almost like I've got car-engine soot floating in my bloodstream (that's the only way I can describe it).

I'm starting to think that this is something more related to hypoglycemia though, my blood sugar, while not diabetic by any means, does seem to roller-coaster a bit, snacking through the day helps but sometimes I have days where I could drink coffee morning noon and night and have it help my functioning, other days where I'm naturally so close to frazzled that I don't want a single drop of caffeine.

SaNcheNuSS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 10:49 pm

do you mean drugs?

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 2:10 pm

I snap out! if it's it negative stimuli.
If it's positive, I cry.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 12:31 am

I seem to be very sensitive to light. Today I had my bedroom light on (which is almost as bright as the sun :lol: ) and I was trying to focus on doing something, and it caused me to be overstimulated. When that happened, I felt stressed/irritated and couldn't concentrate, so I turned it off, my lamp on, and opened the blinds and all was good. :)

Has this or something similar happened to anyone else?

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2011, 6:24 am

I feel like I'm screaming inside my head and get extremely agitated. I feel like I want to run away from everyone and everything and I need to be alone. If I'm in public I very often find myself looking forward to going to the toilets just so that I can get away from everyone and stand there staring at the blank cubicle wall. :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 10:27 am

I become very sick. I've overworked myself to the point of no appetite and I have pneumonia at the moment.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 12:34 pm

When I'm overwhelmed, I'm short-tempered, unwilling to talk, unwilling to listen, need space (normally I don't have a physical boundary), I shush everyone (including adult strangers), close my ears, shut my eyes, try to conjure the sound of running water in my head (it relaxes me), or I leave the situation to find some monotoned white noise (also stabilizing).

Ergop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2011, 1:01 pm

I get this feeling like I have to run away. If the over stimulation continues for a long time I tend to shut down and stop thinking in reality. I can see what's happening but I'm really detached. Sometimes I'll feel detached for days before I get a chance to cool down.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 1:06 pm

I shake and shiver.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 1:08 pm