I really feel... that I'm losing my best friends

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

crouchtig
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2011, 2:28 pm

This is going to be long and messy.

Chinese language was one of my interests for a while, so I spent two years in China.

I came back unnanounced and surprised my friends. Sadly only two of them still live in the same city as me (we'll call them friend 1 and friend 2). Friend 1 actually said when I met him that I'd come back at just the right time because he'd finished his degree and we would have lots of spare time to do fun geeky things together. Unfortunately both he's been so busy with bands and work that I go weeks without seeing or hearing anything from him. One time I told him that I've been feeling lonely and that it bothers me when he forgets to reply to my texts. He was apologetic but nothing changed.

Last week I wasn't going to see his band play because I felt angry that he'd been ignoring me so long, but another friend (we'll call him friend 3) who is still at university in a nearby city came over so I figured I could at least enjoy his company. I didn't speak much to friends 1 or 2, but I didn't ignore them either, I just made sure I spent more time meeting new people.

A few days ago friend 1 texted me saying some of them were at the pub and invited me to join them. I foolishly revealed my hand and asked if friend 3 was there, letting him know that I wasn't going to bother going for just friends 1 and 2. He texted back saying he was p'ed off and wasn't going to tell me. I said that I was only joking and that since it was late I probably wouldn't go (I've been learning to lie).

Now I'm waiting. Friend 1 must realise that I'm upset about the way he's been ignoring me. If he doesn't care enough to make an effort to put things right then obviously he can't give me what I need and I'm better off without him. Friend 3 will hopefuly still be part of my life when he's finished uni in a few months, and maybe he'll act as a go-between. In october I will join some societies run by my local university. Trampolining is a definate.

Friend 2 is presumably still unaware that anything is wrong.

I've known these people for a very long time and they're the smartest, funniest, and most tolerant people I have ever known. But I just can't deal with the disapointment and humiliation of being ignored for long periods of time. I just want to be involved in their lives on a regular basis. Is that so much to ask?

Apologies for the rant.

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 2:55 pm

You shouldn't apologize for the rant. I've been dealing with the issue of losing friends. Only for me, it's because I'm leaving school and after I leave a school, I lose contact with my friends. Have you talked to any of them about this? Writing this down to seek advice was a good move. Now that you've tried that, see what advice you receive, take bits and pieces you think would be effective in solving this and talk with your friends. See how that goes...

crouchtig
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2011, 3:25 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to be the one to bring it up because I feel that they will only take it seriously if they are forced to notice it for themselves. Of course I may be wrong...

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 5:25 pm

Don't underestimate your friends if they have proven to be tolerant and compassionate.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 5:44 pm

Quote:
I didn't speak much to friends 1 or 2, but I didn't ignore them either, I just made sure I spent more time meeting new people.

Keep going along with this tactic I think.

It sucks losing friends but there's no point in trying to desperately hang on; since friend 1 and friend 2 treat you as an aquaintance/old high school friend , just do the same back.

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2011, 11:49 pm

crouchtig wrote:
A few days ago friend 1 texted me saying some of them were at the pub and invited me to join them. I foolishly revealed my hand and asked if friend 3 was there, letting him know that I wasn't going to bother going for just friends 1 and 2. He texted back saying he was p'ed off and wasn't going to tell me. I said that I was only joking and that since it was late I probably wouldn't go (I've been learning to lie).

Now I'm waiting. Friend 1 must realise that I'm upset about the way he's been ignoring me. If he doesn't care enough to make an effort to put things right then obviously he can't give me what I need and I'm better off without him. Friend 3 will hopefuly still be part of my life when he's finished uni in a few months, and maybe he'll act as a go-between. In october I will join some societies run by my local university. Trampolining is a definate.

Friend 2 is presumably still unaware that anything is wrong.

I've known these people for a very long time and they're the smartest, funniest, and most tolerant people I have ever known. But I just can't deal with the disapointment and humiliation of being ignored for long periods of time. I just want to be involved in their lives on a regular basis. Is that so much to ask?

Apologies for the rant.

I think you may have upset friend 1 by saying "I wasn't going to bother going for just friends 1 and 2." Saying you were joking may not have made it better. Rather than tell you they may just not contact you or leave it for a while.
Friend 1 probably does not realise you're upset about the way he's been ignoring you. If he didn't respond when you told him I doubt it would occur to him after a lot of time has passed.

I have found that people are only friendly when you are in regular contact with them. Coming back after a long time, you may not be able to pick up where you left off. It may take some time to catch up, to tell them what you have been doing while you were away and ask what they were doing. They may still come round with time. It is positive that they texted and invited you to something.

crouchtig
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

Things are actually looking up. Someone I met last week who is a mutual friend of myself and friends 1 and 2 invited me to church today and we ended up all chatting and joking together. Maybe having more acquaintances in common with them will increase the amount of time I spend with them. It's not the solution I was imagining, but it's a potential solution nonetheless.

abc123 wrote:
I think you may have upset friend 1 by saying "I wasn't going to bother going for just friends 1 and 2." Saying you were joking may not have made it better. Rather than tell you they may just not contact you or leave it for a while.
Friend 1 probably does not realise you're upset about the way he's been ignoring you. If he didn't respond when you told him I doubt it would occur to him after a lot of time has passed.

I have found that people are only friendly when you are in regular contact with them. Coming back after a long time, you may not be able to pick up where you left off. It may take some time to catch up, to tell them what you have been doing while you were away and ask what they were doing. They may still come round with time. It is positive that they texted and invited you to something.

I should clarify that I didn't actually say I couldn't be bothered to go just for them, but that was what was implied by me asking if friend 3 was there. Yeh I've noticed that it's even more difficult and awkward with people who you used to know but lost contact with than with people you just met. When there's a history it complicates things because no one (including NTs) is sure where you stand or what's appropriate.

crouchtig
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm

P.S. thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I'm reading and re-reading all of them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 12:23 pm

I hope that things work out for you in the future and that you can get your friends back into your life.