Headache from head banging.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Shai-hulud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2011, 10:49 pm

Sometimes when I get really upset, I bang my head against stuff. I don't do it very often, but sometimes I just loose it and can't help it. I've been sick for a while and I was really upset about it this morning, and so I fell down and started banging my head against the floor while thrashing around. Thankfully I have a wonderful girlfriend who came and held me down while I struggled against myself, and then took me back to bed once I calmed down. I slept for another 5 hours, but when I woke up I had a huge headache. It's been 9 hours since I woke up and my head still hurts pretty bad. I'm worried that I gave myself a concussion. I'm wondering what I should do, and if there's any thing you guys know of that will help alleviate the pain.

I know that the obvious answer is to go see a doctor, but honestly I know that as this happened 14 hours ago and I'm perfectly functional now, the damage has already been done and there's not much I can do about that now. But, taking ibuprofin didn't help, and I would really like the pain to subside, so I am hoping that you guys have some tips on this.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:04 am

From Dr Daniel Amen Brain Clinic website:

Your brain is very soft [the consistancy of soft tofu], yet it is housed in a very hard skull that has many ridges. Mild traumatic brain injuries can change people's whole lives and virtually no one knows it, because mental health professionals never look at brain function. Understanding this point means that we should not let children hit soccer balls with their heads; tackle football is really a form of child abuse; and as professionals we need to take even mild traumatic brain injuries seriously. Clinically, I have found that I have to ask patients at least 5 times whether or not they have had a serious brain injury. Often they forget, and therapists give them the diagnoses of personality disorders, when, in fact, they have brain damage from injuries or accidents.

http://www.amenclinics.com/clinics/info ... n-clinics/

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:15 am

Quote:
honestly I know that as this happened 14 hours ago and I'm perfectly functional now, the damage has already been done and there's not much I can do about that now.

This may be a very wrong assumption. When my daughter was your age she was in a minor auto accident wherein her head hit the side window leaving her with a headache. She was found to have a mild concuson. She was told to rest for a week at home with no bright light, no TV watching, no computer work or videos and no reading. The Dr said she needed to follow this regimine in order for her brain to heal properly.

Shai-hulud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2011, 12:59 am

Okay, thank you for the advice.