I feel so bad for my friend!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 5:59 pm

Let's call her Anne, ok? It's her middle name. I went to school with her. She was one of the group of four girls who I was friends with then. She wasn't best friends with me, I was best friends with another girl, and she was best friends with another girl (We were like young or so then) but went through high school together later on, stayed friends, went to each others spend th night parties, I went to her debutane ball, she got presented, I did not. Etc.

Anyway, we lost contact for years, then hooked back up a few years ago on facebook. She's come out now as gay. Well, so? She's still Anne! She's absolutely hilarious and has been the cause of me spitting drinks out of my nose in the past. We are FRIENDS. A lot of her friends got wierd on her when she came out. I dunno why, but hey did.

Anyway. Today her Aunt died. They wouldn't let her come to the hospital, she says they won't let her come to the funeral or the house, etc. THAT IS WRONG! Anne, is a sweet girl who loved her Aunt and should be allowed to mourn with her family!

I am so ticked off! They shouldn't do her like this! I want to cry thinking of how she is feeling now! I wish she didn't live so far away and I could go over with beer or coco or fries or something and help. Even if it's just sitting there with an arm around her, lstening it can help.

WHY CAN"T PEOPLE GET OVER THAT ONE SMALL THING ABOUT OTHERS??? They are actually leaving a beautiful, sweet, caring, smart, successful, girl out of the funeral. For one little thing that WONT EVEN MATTER! It's not like she would bring her partner to THEIR HOUSE!

I wonder how I'll feel about this when I quit smoking? Probably madder!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 4:36 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Let's call her Anne, ok? It's her middle name. I went to school with her. She was one of the group of four girls who I was friends with then. She wasn't best friends with me, I was best friends with another girl, and she was best friends with another girl (We were like young or so then) but went through high school together later on, stayed friends, went to each others spend th night parties, I went to her debutane ball, she got presented, I did not. Etc.

Anyway, we lost contact for years, then hooked back up a few years ago on facebook. She's come out now as gay. Well, so? She's still Anne! She's absolutely hilarious and has been the cause of me spitting drinks out of my nose in the past. We are FRIENDS. A lot of her friends got wierd on her when she came out. I dunno why, but hey did.

Anyway. Today her Aunt died. They wouldn't let her come to the hospital, she says they won't let her come to the funeral or the house, etc. THAT IS WRONG! Anne, is a sweet girl who loved her Aunt and should be allowed to mourn with her family!

I am so ticked off! They shouldn't do her like this! I want to cry thinking of how she is feeling now! I wish she didn't live so far away and I could go over with beer or coco or fries or something and help. Even if it's just sitting there with an arm around her, lstening it can help.

WHY CAN"T PEOPLE GET OVER THAT ONE SMALL THING ABOUT OTHERS??? They are actually leaving a beautiful, sweet, caring, smart, successful, girl out of the funeral. For one little thing that WONT EVEN MATTER! It's not like she would bring her partner to THEIR HOUSE!

I wonder how I'll feel about this when I quit smoking? Probably madder!

I've never figured out why this is such a big deal to folks either, or why it's grounds for excluding someone from family.

I hope your friend is able to manage. Even better if her family gets their heads out of their own intestinally-based reality.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm

I'm sending your friend some sweet pea hugs because I also feel bad for her.Image

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 6:42 pm

I don't understand this behavior either. So what if they don't agree with her choices. I, because of my personal beliefs, don't agree with homosexuality. But, The person is not their lifestyle. The person is family. My nephew is gay. I don't see him often, but it's because we really don't have much in common, not because of his choices. I love sports, video games, and outdoor stuff. He's not really the outdoorsy type, and I doubt he'd want to come over for video games. I don't understand people turning on anyone else. When he was having trouble at home and needed a place to stay, we took him in. He is family and he needed us. I don't judge people. It's not my place. All people deserve to be loved and taken care of.
This may seem off-point, but here's how I see things.
I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I wasn't when I was growing up. One year around Christmastime, Hubby and I were living with my parents, brother and sisters.
We had set up a separate living area in the formal living room. It is completely separate from the family room. No way for anyone to see one another from one room to the other.
Anyway, Christmas eve comes. My Dad comes in to me and had this to say. "We all talked about it and have decided having you here on Christmas morning would make us uncomfortable. Could you please find somewhere else to go. You should leave by around 5-5:30 am."
I was shocked. This was my flesh-and-blood family kicking me and my husband out in the cold with nowhere to go because they were made "uncomfortable" by my existence. I was the same person I had been for the first 20+ years of my life. Goofy, silly, annoying, me. I made a choice that they didn't like so I was tossed out.
It makes no sense.
I hope your friend's family can see past their bias and allow her to come and grieve and say goodbye.
I'm sure her aunt would want her there. It's not right to make something that should be all about her (your friend's aunt), all about them.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"