Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

So I went to that mental health center for my 'walk in' appointment......and now I am not sure I want to go back. First off I was told on the phone I could come in during the hours on any week day and they'd do an intake appointment for the help they offer. So I show up and the person at the desk tells me they have a paper I can feel out but that they might not have anyone availible to see me.

So I was kind of dissapointed since I walked all the way there to try and save on bus money but I took the paper and filled it out and gave it back to the person at the desk. She takes it and then it was like from that point on I didn't exist...she didn't say anything to indicate if that was all they needed from me today and I could go or if they wanted me to show ID, give a phone number or anything. So I ended up sitting there like an idiot until the other employee asked if they could help. So I made a stuttering idiot of myself basically trying to explain I was just confused as to wether that was that for the day and I could go, or if there was anything else they wanted.

So basically I feel the staff was already rude to me and I really don't want to go back there and deal with more of it, especially when they want me to pay a 5 dollar fee for their services. It's only 5 dollars but I don't want to pay them if that is the treatment I can expect. If I do go back on Monday like the one said I think I'll call first to make sure they actually have someone to talk to me rather then wasting a trip there.

I am just pretty dissapointed about this, I go for help only to end up feeling stupid......FML! So should I go back? try and find somewhere else? or continue trying to tough it out and risk an extreme mental breakdown?

Oh and a bit of a side note but now I probably have to tell my mom I lied about having a specific appointment because I didn't want her to nag me......if I want to express my dissapointment of them not having a walk in appointment avalilble. I just didn't want her thinking I wasn't planning my walk in quick enough I told her I called so I felt like if I said it was a walk in she would have been nagging me to go that day, the very next day or whatever when I felt it would be better to give it a few days first. Its not so much the nagging I didn't want though, its more I knew it would stress me out and then I would be less likely to go in the first place.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm

Here in Washington State they have these Neighbourcare Centers. I joined the one about 3 miles from my apartment. It costs me $75 every time I go there to see a doctor. I don't have a choice because I'm actually ineligible for standard health insurance due to history of a stroke, AS, and history of suicide attempt. $5 is actually pretty good, huh? Yeah I hate that waiting crap. I had to do it, too, so we're in the same boat.

Interestingly enough, I can see why the staff is rude. I was actually there when this guy just started yelling at the staff out of the blue. They just looked at him like he was crazy. Because they deal with the homeless and the poor they, unfortunately, have to deal with less than savory characters every day. Nothig to envy there.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Here in Washington State they have these Neighbourcare Centers. I joined the one about 3 miles from my apartment. It costs me $75 every time I go there to see a doctor. I don't have a choice because I'm actually ineligible for standard health insurance due to history of a stroke, AS, and history of suicide attempt. $5 is actually pretty good, huh? Yeah I hate that waiting crap. I had to do it, too, so we're in the same boat.

Interestingly enough, I can see why the staff is rude. I was actually there when this guy just started yelling at the staff out of the blue. They just looked at him like he was crazy. Because they deal with the homeless and the poor they, unfortunately, have to deal with less than savory characters every day. Nothig to envy there.

5$ isent bad but I could use it for better things then paying people to make me feel stupid, I guess I can hope the desk staff does not reflect the behavior of the mental health professionals they have there. But yeah I don't care what they had to deal with, making someone feel stupid for going for help is pretty low in my opinion. I mean what the hell is the point of not telling someone who comes in if they are free to go or if they would like to see Id or a phone number or something? I mean I don't see what would have really justified just leaving me to sit there like an idiot instead of saying something like 'thanks, thats all we need from you today.' or just some sort of indication she was done with me and I didn't need to sit there any longer.

Maybe they should be trained to handle these situations, a place supposed to provide help...shouldn't have desk staff that make potential patients feel stupid. I mean I hate to be paranoid but maybe it did have something to do with me checking off no insurance and no income... :? But regardless of the why I am not even really so concerned about why its a matter of as usual I do something to try and maybe improve my situation and it goes to sh*t all because someone decides I am not good enough to be treated like a fellow human.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 6:17 pm

I'd go back. There might be a different secretary next time and who knows, the therapist might be nice. If you try that place and the therapist doesn't click with you then try another place.

NTAndrew
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2012, 6:33 pm

Go back.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 10:18 pm

Go back, it's worth the $5 and the fresh air.

The last time I tried to talk to someone I didn't have to jump through hoops like a trained poodle. Talked to GP, GP referred me to another guy, other guy was 10 minutes late, had the nerve to give me hell for standing outside to have a smoke to wait for HIM. He introduces himself and says he has ADHD.... just like throws it out there hoping I'd bite, WTF, then he gets reading what I had written down on the intake sheet.... turns to me and says "In my home country, we would take people like you to the edge of town and shoot them." 8O He was trying to accuse me of milking the system. His reasoning? I was too young to have these problems..... So I just poured my personal problems onto an intake sheet just to have him wipe his arse with it. I was in and out of there in 7 minutes......

That was two years ago, I dwelled on it for two whole years before trying again. Two more years of BS.

I'm trying to get help again, same setup as you just described but I don't have to pay anything, just show up, do the intake assessment and then wait around till someone talks to me. Panicking just thinking about leaving my house, let alone going to a busy University hospital... But I am going to do it.

I won't settle this time around, I've always settled and never felt at all comfortable with the therapists/psychiatrists I got stuck with, therefore I never got to work out anything. Just left more confused, upset and drugged than before.

If it doesn't work out for you with this office, there are lots of other therapists out there. Don't settle for someone you aren't comfortable talking with.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 11:58 pm

Yeah those clerks are just the gatekeepers. The people who have a better chance of helping you are on the other side of the door. I've found every place pretty much has irritating people right where you walk in, it could be a bank, or a doctor's office, or a politician's place. Carry it in your mind when you go back that these kinds of people will probably be doing the same seat-warmer job until they're too old to. Some can be nice when they're new there and become cranky as time goes on. I feel as much as you do that a first impression makes a big difference, but how likely is it that the desk clerk is going to tell you something that can change your life or has the power to write a prescription for decent meds, or can teach you helpful techniques?
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't shoot the messenger

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

I was going to go back today, but I can't do it...so I'll try again tommorrow. I think I would rather walk to the mall in my soon to be completely worn out shoes after digging up about 10 $ in change to see a movie so that I can regret having spent all my change on the movie and a soda then walk home and go to bed.

I'm sure my mom would give me 5 bucks for the appointment...on second thoughts maybe I'll just waste some time on the internet and go to bed, that's probably cheaper. Also I am kind of too embarrassed to tell anyone that that secretary made me so uncomfortable I am afraid to go back by myself. I mean I don't care about her it's just I'd prefer to avoid the anxiety that situation caused. I felt like a complete idiot and it was terrible and well one of my talents is NOT getting over things like that.

Oh and I'll probably see if there are any other places to help with mental health in the area, just in case.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

MarthaCannary wrote:
Go back, it's worth the $5 and the fresh air.

The last time I tried to talk to someone I didn't have to jump through hoops like a trained poodle. Talked to GP, GP referred me to another guy, other guy was 10 minutes late, had the nerve to give me hell for standing outside to have a smoke to wait for HIM. He introduces himself and says he has ADHD.... just like throws it out there hoping I'd bite, WTF, then he gets reading what I had written down on the intake sheet.... turns to me and says "In my home country, we would take people like you to the edge of town and shoot them." 8O He was trying to accuse me of milking the system. His reasoning? I was too young to have these problems..... So I just poured my personal problems onto an intake sheet just to have him wipe his arse with it. I was in and out of there in 7 minutes......

That was two years ago, I dwelled on it for two whole years before trying again. Two more years of BS.

I'm trying to get help again, same setup as you just described but I don't have to pay anything, just show up, do the intake assessment and then wait around till someone talks to me. Panicking just thinking about leaving my house, let alone going to a busy University hospital... But I am going to do it.

I won't settle this time around, I've always settled and never felt at all comfortable with the therapists/psychiatrists I got stuck with, therefore I never got to work out anything. Just left more confused, upset and drugged than before.

If it doesn't work out for you with this office, there are lots of other therapists out there. Don't settle for someone you aren't comfortable talking with.

Wow I think if someone told me that the whole in their home country they would shoot you I'd have a very strong urge to find an excuse to get the hell away from them. Also I didn't even get past the desk employees to talk to one of their therapists or mental health professionals or whatever. And now I feel kind of terrible because I cannot even bring myself to go back over some insignificant lady at the desk.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I was going to go back today, but I can't do it...so I'll try again tommorrow. I think I would rather walk to the mall in my soon to be completely worn out shoes after digging up about 10 $ in change to see a movie so that I can regret having spent all my change on the movie and a soda then walk home and go to bed.

I'm sure my mom would give me 5 bucks for the appointment...on second thoughts maybe I'll just waste some time on the internet and go to bed, that's probably cheaper. Also I am kind of too embarrassed to tell anyone that that secretary made me so uncomfortable I am afraid to go back by myself. I mean I don't care about her it's just I'd prefer to avoid the anxiety that situation caused. I felt like a complete idiot and it was terrible and well one of my talents is NOT getting over things like that.

Oh and I'll probably see if there are any other places to help with mental health in the area, just in case.

Would you maybe feel more comfortable if your mum came with you and waited for you in the waiting room? That might help with the secretary problem a little bit. You really need to go back because if you keep putting it off, you wont go. You need that first session to make some kind of impact on you. Just tell your mum about the secretary, she might be able to give you advice or go with you and help you out. It doesn't even have to be your mum, it could be a friend or another family member.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 12:24 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Would you maybe feel more comfortable if your mum came with you and waited for you in the waiting room? That might help with the secretary problem a little bit. You really need to go back because if you keep putting it off, you wont go. You need that first session to make some kind of impact on you. Just tell your mum about the secretary, she might be able to give you advice or go with you and help you out.

No I would feel better if my close friend or my cousin came with me, my mom being there would just stress me out more especially if that same secretary is there. Also not trying to be stubborn really, but i am having a hard time convincing myself I 'need' to go back to that specific place if it made me that uncomfortable I don't need to go in there and start freaking out because I would prefer not to be put in a psych ward at this time. I mean you are probably right but i just don't know if I can go back.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
lostgirl1986 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Would you maybe feel more comfortable if your mum came with you and waited for you in the waiting room? That might help with the secretary problem a little bit. You really need to go back because if you keep putting it off, you wont go. You need that first session to make some kind of impact on you. Just tell your mum about the secretary, she might be able to give you advice or go with you and help you out.

No I would feel better if my close friend or my cousin came with me, my mom being there would just stress me out more especially if that same secretary is there. Also not trying to be stubborn really, but i am having a hard time convincing myself I 'need' to go back to that specific place if it made me that uncomfortable I don't need to go in there and start freaking out because I would prefer not to be put in a psych ward at this time. I mean you are probably right but i just don't know if I can go back.

I find that a lot of receptionists are stuck up, especially when it's a busy day for them. Maybe she was having a bad day. Just go with someone else, maybe she'll back down if she sees somebody else with you. Who knows, the therapist may be really nice. Heck, if she treats you rudely again, tell the therapist, he/she's probably the one who pays them. At least go back and try this therapist out, if they don't click, they don't click. Then you try somewhere else.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 12:43 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
lostgirl1986 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I find that a lot of receptionists are stuck up, especially when it's a busy day for them. Maybe she was having a bad day. Just go with someone else, maybe she'll back down if she sees somebody else with you. Who knows, the therapist may be really nice. Heck, if she treats you rudely again, tell the therapist, he/she's probably the one who pays them. At least go back and try this therapist out, if they don't click, they don't click. Then you try somewhere else.

Ok well it is her job to be a front desk seceratary, is she being paid to be rude to the mentally ill people who come in for help? Also its just the local mental health center they have a number of mental health professionals so I doubt any specific one of them is in charge of her wages. But I don't know or care about any of that.......point is I am just afraid to go back, maybe I can have someone come with me if I can quit being too embarrassed to ask.

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 4:17 pm

If you think you'll have a nervous break down, don't go back. Or even better get the friend to come with you.

If you'll be incredibly uncomfortable, stressed out enough to think about it for days later, sweaty palms.. and cold sweats from how rudely you were treated (as i've gotten) -- definitely go back.

I wouldn't take it personally, that person didn't know her job. Unfortunately in this world, you have such a huge gap between professionalism and realism. Managers hire people because they have a nice face, because they talk and act a certain way--and not on them being professional or fulfilling their job responsibilities. Secretaries are ironically the most stereotyped to fit this description.

As mentioned the real professionalism are from the doctors themselves-- but thats not a promise or guarantee, it is just the chance to possibly come closer to leading a less stressful life and to possibly be happy and fulfilled at whatever you decide to do. I'm taking the same chance myself july 1st as soon as medicaid kicks in, I hope you do too.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

There are a lot of rude, stupid receptionists in the world, I have found. It helps to think of them as trolls living under the proverbial bridges you need to cross. All that matters is that you get past them and see the professional on the other side.