What to tell the doctor?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2013, 10:08 am

So... I've been really depressed for over two months now. I thought of killing myself but I don't really want to; I just can't see how else to resolve this.
So I have managed to get an appointment with my GP. That wasn't easy - I had to wait more than a week and I could only see a locum doctor, not one of the doctors who is part of the GP practice. So I don't know this doctor. I googled the surname, which was all I had, and found out that it is a man, but that's all I know.

I'm nervous about going and I worry that I might just talk about the vertigo which I've also had and not say anything about the depression. I know I can write the symptoms down, but I did that before, and then ended up not giving the paper to the doctor because I couldn't find the right opportunity and in the end I only told the doctor that I had a cough and never mentioned my depression. (I did have a cough, but that wasn't why I was there...) And that was with a doctor I knew. The one I will see now is one I don't know at all.

So... any ideas on how to do this?

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 10:32 am

Can you email the practice your depession symptoms list to give the doc at your apt for you? You need to give the doc your list first thing when you walk in, before small talk can distract you.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 11:07 am

A GP can prescribe an antidepressant just as well as a psychiatrist can.  Now, for example, Zoloft works great for some people and doesn't do a thing for others, and typically takes at least four weeks to tell.  Just that everyone's biochem is a little different and it really is trial and error in a respectful sense.  Also it's often important to phase down from the medication in steps, even if it doesn't seem to be working because your body may have still gotten used to it. 

One medical emergency is thoughts of suicide combined with a present plan.  This may not be the only medical emergency.  (I know some stuff from what I've read and one conversation with my doctor, and there's a lot I don't know.  I have not yet tried antidepressants, but they are kind of my ace in the hole for future bouts.  I have struggled, at times quite a bit, and I realize other people may struggle even more.)

It's very hard to tell someone something personal when they breeze into the room and it's obvious they're trying to go as fast as they can.

If you email them, they may ignore it or they may take it as more of an emergency than you care to declare.  I like the plan of having a sheet of paper in your hand to give to the doctor the moment he walks in.  That might seem abrupt.  But given how fast the doctor is intent on going, it's not abrupt.

Please view us here at WrongPlanet as one available resource, for you to use according to your own timeline. 

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm

I did the sheet of paper thing, although I stupidly didn't realise they signalled depression. When I went into the room, the GP asked why I was there, I said something along the lines of, I'm experiencing a number of things. She asked me to elaborate, and then I handed her the list. It was uncomfortable, but it went fine. Not sure whether that helps.

Good luck, I hope you get the help you need.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 8:16 am

If possible, bring a relative or friend with you to appointment. People go in with family members all the time. That person's job is to prompt you on these things that need addressing. They can leave at appropriate moments once things are out on the table. They can also be a little moral support.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 7:40 pm

LookingLost wrote:
I did the sheet of paper thing, although I stupidly didn't realise they signalled depression. When I went into the room, the GP asked why I was there, I said something along the lines of, I'm experiencing a number of things. She asked me to elaborate, and then I handed her the list. It was uncomfortable, but it went fine. Not sure whether that helps.

Good luck, I hope you get the help you need.

Excellent advice. Just doing it works!