Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2012, 1:35 am

Recently I have been so depressed. Since we had to get rid of our dog 2 years ago I have been so so sad. My family lives in an apartment which allows pets but our landlord says no pets. I can't stand it our neighbors have a dog but I can't. It is 4 year until I can leave my parent and get my own dog. But I can't wait. I read about autism dogs and I was wondering if a land lord can say no to a helper dog legally. Also what is the need for a helper dog. I am in special education in school, I have an aid, I look mental in public, I have 2 friends in total, I have cut myself in meltdowns, I can't handle being in crowds of people that sorround me, I can't handle social situations, I rock, hand flap, and some other things. I think a dog would help me but I land lord is a huge problem. Please tell me if he can say no and if I could even get a helper dog

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 1:41 am

Can a landlord be required to modify a "no pets" policy for an emotional support animal? In most cases: yes, but there are exceptions. Most cases involving housing and persons with disabilities are covered under the Fair Housing Amendments Act. Some are covered under section 504 of the Rehab Act, and some under the Americans with Disabilities act. To learn whether any of these laws applies in your own situation, consult a qualified attorney, your state's Attorney General, your state's Human Rights Commission, or the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jun 2012, 1:56 am

As auntblabby said. If you have a medical professional write you a recommendation/prescription for an emotional support animal, landlords are generally expected to allow that. Some may protest, but legally they have little recourse.

Service animals (mostly dogs, I think laws related to service animals focus on dogs in the US, too) have even more leeway, as you can take them with you just about anywhere.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 3:28 am

He may not know dogs, it may simply be ignorance (I mean he may have no idea what a dog can be, having never connected with a dog). So saying no, is no big deal to him. He will likely have no clue of the role disability dogs can play in people lives.

Don't make it a battle with him you have to win legally if you dont have to. Think about why he doesn't want any animals and try and get your family to remove all the barriers.

He may think dogs are always loud and damage things. So you need clauses in your tenancy to show that you will take that seriously. A well trained disability dog won't be loud or damage things, and you would replace/mend/repair.
Why wouldn't he worry about his property and neighbours?

He may be worried the neighbours wouldn't like it, so get them on your side. If they understood how much it meant to you, they might write letters of support for you. If your family can present those electronically you can also send him you tube videos of amazing dogs changing lives.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 3:55 am

moved from General Autism Discussion to The Haven

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 4:11 am

Here in the USA there are laws that require all places to allow service dogs. Every now and then someone breaks the laws about this, and then they get in trouble. I read just last week that a clothing store wouldn't let a blind lady come in because she had a seeing eye dog. They got in trouble because they broke the law.

Other animals can also be used as service animals. Some people use little monkeys. There are some people who use small ponies, or even miniature horses, as service animals. Some people are allergic to dogs, and the muslim religion is against the use of dogs, so they have to use the small ponies and miniature horses instead.

As one of the other posters said, you will need to get a prescription from a doctor for a service pet, and you will also need to check with an attorney to find out just which laws apply in your situation.

As for your neighbors being allowed to have a dog, did they have the dog before they moved there? Some places will allow new renters to bring an existing pet with them, and pay an additional amount of rent, but then not allow any new pet after the old one has died. My mother and I were going to move to a town house apartment like that with our lab, but the dog died a week before the move. Although the rules there were against getting a dog after moving in, we were eventually allowed to adopt a relative's dog while living there, as the dog had come over on frequent visits with the relative, and had been well behaved, and the manager knew that we had originally intended to move there with our previous dog. We did have to pay extra for having the dog, but he was worth it.

If the neighbors got their pet after moving in, perhaps it's not the landlord saying no to you having a pet. It might be that your parents don't want the additional expense of a dog right now, and are letting you think it's the landlord saying no, so you won't be mad at them. If that's the case, you need to realize that money is really tight for a lot of people right now, so you will have to wait until you can afford the pet on your own. Unfortunately, even with a prescription from a doctor, your parents are the ones who will have to foot the bill for a dog, and for the ongoing pet expenses--food, toys, vet bills, etc., so they may not be in a hurry to pay more bills in these hard times.

You should sit down with your parents and discuss getting a service dog, but remember, don't press them too hard if money is tight. It will only make them frustrated and angry that they can't get you one, if money is a problem right now.

Hope I've been able to help some.

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2012, 11:43 am

In our complex we all have different land lords. Our neighbors have a different one then we do. Dogs are aloud in the complex but the land lord says no. That is the problem my parent doing well with money so we could afford it. The land lord said we can have a cat but I am severely allergic to them. He doesnt want a dog becouse he thinks it wil ruin things the carpet the floor the walls. But aren't service dogs already house broken and don't chew on things?