Would anti-depressants help reduce jealousy feelings?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 9:59 am

Besides anxiety, one of my other biggest problems is jealousy. I get horribly jealous of other people for being NTs, and can't stand to hear people going on about their luck and their jobs and boy/girlfriends, and other things that I can't seem to have. I try so hard to distract my mind from what my NT cousins are doing, but sometimes it just gets to me. My uncle and two of my cousins have been away on a vacation all week and are back today, and are coming to mine tomorrow evening, and I know that all they're going to talk about is the friends they have met on holiday and the ''pretty girls'' they have chatted up (the boys are both in their teens and are starting to seek girls). The reason why I get horribly jealous is because each time I fancy a man, something happens where I can't ever see them again, even if they fancy me back. It's just my luck, and hearing about my peers going on about their lovelifes just makes me feel more isolated, which turns me into a nasty, jealous freak. Obviously I don't show jealousy to their face, but it does eat at me inside.

I have tried anti-depressants before, but I was on a higher dose and didn't get on with them, but I was thinking of trying again on a lower dose, and staying on them for a little longer. But I was wondering if going on anti-depressants will help to reduce these horrible feelings of jealousy and isolation a little more? I can't cope with being such a jealous freak, and I've been getting jealous of others for years, and I'm starting to wonder if it's a personality trait what I may never get rid of, but I just wanted to see if anyone else here knew anything about meds helping to reduce jealousy. I can't go on like this, I'm having outbursts because of it, calling people horrible names and thinking everyone else is better than me because they've got jobs and relationships and I haven't, and it's all getting to me and I just can't stop being horribly jealous. I also find myself wishing bad things to happen to my cousins, not evil thoughts, just things like hoping one of them would become severely depressed and not want to go out. It's horrible because it's not my nature to think like that about people, but I know it's because I'm just jealous. Then when bad things do happen to my cousins, I suddenly turn into a sympathetic counsellor.

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2012, 11:32 am

I've been in a similar situation, I still deal with a bit of jealousy when it comes to certain family members, and I know how awful it feels when you start thinking of the good things other people have, because it makes you realize some of your own deficiencies. I would think the best meds could do would be to reduce anxiety and depression, depending on what you'd take. You could take something to help your focus as well. But ultimately, the kind of stuff you're thinking about, It's how your perceiving life.

Sometimes I'll think that everyone struggles, suffers, and I see someone who's got something good, I try to be happy for them. We all struggle to make it, and to be happy. And if someone else has something good, that doesn't take away from me....

But at the same time, is it so good for them? Maybe their lying or embellishing, they too have insecurities, maybe they've suffered and are so excited that they finally met someone, or got the job, that you could say they deserve the things they have.

There's too much pain and awfulness in comparing what you have to someone else, or depending on someone elses happiness to determine your sadness.

There's nothing wrong with being happy for other people while remaining sad about your situation, I'd say it shows some solid character.

Meds could certainly help with getting you to a good place though..

Crankbadger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2012, 11:54 am

Yeah. They help reduce all feelings.

solitarymonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2012, 11:44 am

I haven't read all your post due to time restraints but in a word. nope. some of them may have a slight jealousy reducing effect. but from what I know, it's not really something medication can help. and counseling is hit and miss. off the top of my head, cbt therapy is your best bet. but you have to be willing to put the work in to make it effective
I hope I helped. if even only a little
all the best!

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2012, 12:41 pm

knowbody15 wrote:
But at the same time, is it so good for them? Maybe their lying or embellishing, they too have insecurities, maybe they've suffered and are so excited that they finally met someone, or got the job, that you could say they deserve the things they have.

^ I think this is a good thing to focus on. And why wish to be NT? None of us have been both, so no one can say which would be better. It's certainly socially easier to be NT because you'd be in the common group, but then you'd give up all your unique qualities. Just because it's sometimes hard to be an aspie now, doesn't mean it always will be. :)

I think it would be best not to spend so much time thinking about your cousins. They're not you. But if that's not working, why not think about something they don't have but you do? For example, if you think they're prettier, I bet they're not prettier in every way. So you could say to yourself, "Cousin X may have nice hair, but I have a much prettier smile, so I'd rather have my smile than her hair." It's maybe a little snarky to think this way, but it's better than always coming up the loser.

And when it comes to boyfriends, etc. Think about whoever they're dating. Would YOU want to date that particular dude? My guess is no. He's probably not into what you like, not into your jokes, maybe not even smart enough. So just because she has A boyfriend, doesn't mean he's one YOU would want. It just depends on how you think about it.