depression to aggression?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

grunt200
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Oct 2012, 7:24 pm

In the past if I went for any time with out my anti-depressant i would fall in to a pit of nothing but blackness, but for the pass 2-3 mouths it has been extreme anger and aggregation that i can control but if it gets much worse i mite not be able to deal with it, has any got any advise?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 7:46 pm

see a doctor immediately.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 8:01 pm

It's my experience that anger and depression are two sides of the same coin.

Decades ago I was under a lot of stress and felt frequently angry and agitated. I had two small children at the time. My sisters told me that the irascible way in which I was interacting with my children bordered on abuse.

I took them seriously and through will, stopped being terse with the kids. I started crying frequently; depression overcame me. I realized that it was simply more comfortable for me to experience my anxiety as anger than depression.

That took me into therapy and for a while, anti-depression drug therapy. I have revisited therapy three periods in the ensuing decades. I am much improved. Much of my therapeutic work was done in the area of my anger.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 2:23 am

What medication are you on? With many antidepressants it is unwise to suddenly stop using them because they can cause unpredictable mood swings.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 8:06 am

Idk maybe more quiet time

Mishra2012
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2012, 2:04 am

I have no advice. Therapy works for some people. I have anger and aggression. I actually feel better angry than depressed. The things that have caused me and cause me to be depressed often are things that anger me as well.

Last edited by Mishra2012 on 15 Oct 2012, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 2:12 am

Mishra2012 wrote:
I have no advice. Therapy works for some people. I have anger and aggression. I actual feel better angry than depressed. The things that have caused me and cause me to be depressed often are things that arnger me as well.

Its the same for me, feeling angry feels better than feeling depressed. I mean I hate to say it because its not how I am but feeling angry at least makes me feel more in control in a weird way than feeling depressed. Though I tend to hold back my anger since I don't want to hurt anyone but I am getting to my breaking point.

I think when I get set off and my anger gets triggered the adrenaline rush creates kind of a high but like a speed high and that to me feels dangerous and the closest thing to actual speed I've done would be adderall and the state I get into when provoked is even more intense than that.

Mishra2012
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2012, 4:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Mishra2012 wrote:
I have no advice. Therapy works for some people. I have anger and aggression. I actual feel better angry than depressed. The things that have caused me and cause me to be depressed often are things that arnger me as well.

Its the same for me, feeling angry feels better than feeling depressed. I mean I hate to say it because its not how I am but feeling angry at least makes me feel more in control in a weird way than feeling depressed. Though I tend to hold back my anger since I don't want to hurt anyone but I am getting to my breaking point.

I think when I get set off and my anger gets triggered the adrenaline rush creates kind of a high but like a speed high and that to me feels dangerous and the closest thing to actual speed I've done would be adderall and the state I get into when provoked is even more intense than that.

Yes I have much more control angry. I am tired of holding back my urges. I might have a much more productive life if I hurt others. Seems to me most of the "bad" people have better lives anyways. Depression hurts and seems to have a very negative effect on my health anger does not.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 4:06 am

Mishra2012 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Mishra2012 wrote:

Yes I have much more control angry. I am tired of holding back my urges. I might have a much more productive life if I hurt others. Seems to me most of the "bad" people have better lives anyways. Depression hurts and seems to have a very negative effect on my health anger does not.

I just cannot get over the weird urge in the back of my mind to just give in and hurt others, but I don't want to so I try to direct my energy to inanimate objects but even that is a bit of an issue. I mean I don't want to freak out and throw crap around in front of my little brother but its like I cant help it. I mean he is my brother and so I get concerned when her boyfriend gets on his ass about crap because I don't want him to have non existent confidence like me.

I think I've already scared him with my symptoms so I want to talk to him and really see what he thinks. I mean I try to be there for him as best as I can but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 5:04 pm

Yeah being a little angry, keeps people off your back when you are depressed. Too much though and it has the opposite effect.