Broke my hand. Can't calm down.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

emmyy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2013, 2:32 pm

So I broke my hand today at work.
It's been many hours but I just can't calm down.
It hurts, it feels uncomfortable on my skin and painkillers making my tummy hurt.
I feel like a mess, I am hyperventilating every now and then and I just CAN'T calm down.
All I can think is pain on hand, and this uncomfortable feeling of cast.

What can I do?
Any of you been in same situation?
I can't even go to sleep.. Or shower..

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 2:58 pm

It's just a broken hand. I've broken my hands multiple times, and all of my fingers many of which have broken multiple times too. I guess I'm used to it. Buck up, It will get better. The cast is uncomfortable sure, but you would be way more uncomfortable without it. The pain would be worse, which would cause you more discomfort. Just in case, are you eating food with the pills you are taking? It's usually advised to do that. Make sure to drink lots of water too because the pills can cause dehydration and constipation.

emmyy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2013, 3:24 pm

Well I have sensory issues and I'm really sensitive on my skin and body. So I just. Can not handle the feeling on my hand, on my stomach and just. I just want my mom here on my cousin.. I don't want to take those pills. I suck really badly at swallowing pills.. But if I don't take them then my hand hurts.. UGH

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm

Could your mom or cousin call your doctor for some medicine to help with your anxiety? Some medicines have a combination of pain and anxiety decreasing agents. I would strongly advise that, since you do need to calm down and rest so your body will be able to heal your hand quickly.

MaxShock
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

Go to the doctor tomorrow and get a cast, get medication, and take care of it. That's the only thing you can do.

And whatever happened, try to not do that again.

Also, try to sleep on a couch or something that is raised upward, with your hand on your chest/stomach. I did the same after surgery on my shoulder, it should work for hand too. But make sure it doesn't move, I'd suggest to tape it on your clothes, but I am unsure if that is a stupid idea or not.

And please, don't be freaking out. You might injure yourself worse if you overreact.

emmyy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2013, 10:26 am

I was in hospital again today.
They said my hand needs a surgery, I'm going to surgery next monday.

Now it's even more scary, I have ever been to surgery before I'm scared..
And I'm alone, no one is even coming with me...

MaxShock
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

I had surgery last year, it's not that scary. They'll just put you to sleep to operate on your hand, you won't even feel a thing, not even when you wake up for a while.

However, you should be aware, that they'll be making the nerves on your hand asleep for a few hours, so it will be petrified and unable to move for a little while. Don't bash it by accident, you don't want to hurt it any worse than it already is.

emmyy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

I'm just so scared of being alone there in hospital.. No mom. No cousin.

MaxShock
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

Can you call one of your family members before and after the surgery? At least you'll have someone to talk to, even if by phone.

emmyy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

Yes I can. But it'd be so nice to have someone there with me. Because all the weird noises.. Smells.. People. Lights..

MaxShock
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2013, 1:51 pm

Don't know what the surgery is like for hands, but with mine, I was alone and only the doctors were there. No weird people.

Also, the smell isn't that bad, and the lights, you can close your eyes.

emmyy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2013, 1:57 pm

Yes. I try.. Thank you. And I also have my stuffed husky and also doctors know about my problems.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:21 pm

How come you will have no one with you? Do you have no one who can come to visit you while you are there?

(Personally I prefer to deal with being in hospital by myself ... it is very overloading and I don't like to have to try to communicate with my husband on top of all that! The staff always think it odd that I am by myself)

emmyy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2013, 4:06 pm

Because I am far away from home.. And I'd prefer my mom or my cousin just to be in room so I'd feel safe and calm. Just sitting next to me and holding my (healthy) hand while I'm sleeping. And talking to doctors because I don't want to.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

emmyy wrote:
Because I am far away from home.. And I'd prefer my mom or my cousin just to be in room so I'd feel safe and calm. Just sitting next to me and holding my (healthy) hand while I'm sleeping. And talking to doctors because I don't want to.

How far from home are you? Is there no way that your mum or cousin could come to help you with this? I'm sure they'd be happy to if it were possible, even if it involved some significant difficulty getting there.

emmyy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2013, 9:47 am

Well it takes 16 hours to drive here by car from where they live..