Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 10:59 am

I am finding it very hard to live with aspergers.

Any advice? I have a passion for life but because of my label I have no dignity or respect :cry:

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 11:11 am

Think of it as a personal trait instead of an identity or a label.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 11:16 am

Societal stigma and prejudice disables us :(

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 11:38 am

What I've been finding out, more and more, is people with Asperger's tend to also have issues such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc. Those issues are treatable, to a certain extent, but Asperger's isn't because it's not an illness.

It then seems like a lot of issues we face was not brought on by Asperger's itself but the cormorbid issues. Think about it. If we all have Asperger's then we should all be feeling we're living lives devoid of dignity and respect. Of course, that's not true. Many of us are happy, maybe even most. I'm not sure a lot of us face societal stigma or prejudice either.

It stands to reason then to focus less on the Asperger's and more on your symptoms and get those treated by a health professional. I know some would say exercise, too. That's a good idea. I just try to stay as busy as possible even though I get down sometimes, but I don't blame my Asperger's. I'm avoidant so am alone all the time and have issues with depression. Those are the treatable bits.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 12:57 pm

Labels are for jam jars.

Take your passion and find a direction for it.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 4:43 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I am finding it very hard to live with aspergers.

Any advice? I have a passion for life but because of my label I have no dignity or respect :cry:

      Being an Aspie is the most wonderful thing anyone could be.
You better believe it because you've got it, and if you believe anything else your life is really going to suck hardcore.

   Besides, it's true.

Respect is what others think of you.
Dignity is what you think of yourself.

If you think of yourself what others think of you, then which 'others' are you choosing?
There will always be people that hate you.
There will always be people that like you. (even if you lie to yourself by refusing to believe it)
And even if you personally know 70 million people, there will still be 99% of the population that doesn't even know you yet.

People judge books by their cover; scruples and doing difficult things will boost your dignity, and there's your cover. =)

arnoldmcguire335
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2013, 9:12 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Societal stigma and prejudice disables us :(

1401b wrote:
Being an Aspie is the most wonderful thing anyone could be.
You better believe it because you've got it, and if you believe anything else your life is really going to suck hardcore.

   Besides, it's true.

Respect is what others think of you.
Dignity is what you think of yourself.

If you think of yourself what others think of you, then which 'others' are you choosing?
There will always be people that hate you.
There will always be people that like you. (even if you lie to yourself by refusing to believe it)
And even if you personally know 70 million people, there will still be 99% of the population that doesn't even know you yet.

People judge books by their cover; scruples and doing difficult things will boost your dignity, and there's your cover. =)

Both are true. I myself have to fight for it.