ADHD boy Rule boy
OCD boy Negative boy
Fantasy boy Angry boy
Anxiety boy

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:21 am

This is terribly over-simplfied. It also makes no mention of girls. Medications are suggested for other types than the ADD types, which makes no sense because there is no drug therapy prescribed for ASD's. I want to know who wrote this. I do not think this person was qualified.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:26 am

What about logic girls?

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2009, 8:56 am

Seems sort of "fishy" to me... :? I think I will stick to the other "diagnostic scales" for now. Thanks for sharing, however. :D

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:50 am

That does not look to me like a reputable web site.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 1:47 pm

I have heard of this before, my wife has a copy of the book "Parenting your Asperger child". It seems more lightweight It weighs 350 g (paperback edition) than Tony Attwood's complete guide to AS (700 g in paperback).

I think that if you looked at the AS community you could devise all manner of ways to divide up and classify us. But then we would have to ask the question of how valid or useful it is. If I was to take 1000 WPers and ask then a set of questions then I could put them on a scale depending on how interested they are in star trek. I could also work out where each one was on another scale such as how tall they are.

I would end up with four groups

1 Tall aspies with no interest in star trek
2 Tall aspies with an interest in star trek
3 Short aspies with no interest in star trek
4 Short aspies with an interest in star trek

The great question then is does any difference exist between the four groups in terms of their needs, wants etc. I could create the hypothesis that those aspies in group 2 can not get a life partner and do not ejoy life while those in group 3 have partners and enjoy life. But until I test the hypothesis it is just a guess.

I very much doubt if there would be in important difference.

The book might be right or it might be wrong, it does not clearly indicate where the author got the idea from. The idea appears to be an untested hypothesis, I hold the view that an untested hypothesis might be interesting but it is of limited if any use. I think that the authors of the book or some other interested party should do some good quaility research which will either confirm or refute the hypothesis that these groups exist.

The book has very few references which makes it hard to follow back where the authors obtained their ideas from.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:33 pm

Woodpecker, I much prefer your way of categorising asperger types!

(not so sure about the technique of weighing books to see how 'heavy-weight' the literature is... apparently there is a bookshop somewhere in New Zealand that uses the same method to price novels :P)

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:05 pm

OCD and Paranoia are no more subtypes of Aspergers Syndrome than carrot and potato are subtypes of onion.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:21 pm

Lene wrote:
Woodpecker, I much prefer your way of categorising asperger types!

(not so sure about the technique of weighing books to see how 'heavy-weight' the literature is... apparently there is a bookshop somewhere in New Zealand that uses the same method to price novels :P)

Well I thought that in terms of the ideas and content that Tony's book was more of a heavy weight, I could not however resist the tempation to go to my kitchen and weigh the books using the scales.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2009, 10:50 am

I think I belong in the Fantasy boy section.

smilyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2009, 2:32 pm

Ok, sorry for posting this :x

MrKnott
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2009, 9:56 pm

I saw this stuff in the book "Parenting Your Asperger's Child." Some NT people with AS kids swear by it (should we swear at it?) I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea of subgroups of AS--but this stuff doesn't sound right to me. Still, I remember reading Attwood's book that was published in the 90s, and saying, "No, this isn't me at all." This book described the typical person with AS as humorless and literal-minded. There is a broader understanding of the condition now, I think.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 10:26 pm

This is brilliant. It deals more with the kind of AS I have. I think I would be the "angry" and "paranoid" with traits from several of the others, especially "fantasy boy". I'm not at all like the traditional school book example of AS. These kinds of subtypes are necessary in order for my diagnosis to even have a purpose.

Great thread. I'm happy there are others in the world who noticed this about subtypes.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 12:24 am

I don't really trust this site - not only does it completely exclude girls, but it is too generalizing and oversimplified. Still, I do appreciate that more people are noticing that we're not all the same. If my parents had known when I was little that Asperger's didn't have to mean that I was humorless, literal, and obsessed with trains, they might not have been so quick to decide that I didn't have it.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 12:33 am

I like this, i think you could place most people on the spectrum under one of these headings. Obviously i think the "reccommended approach" part should be ignored though.

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2009, 1:47 am

I'm not an expert by any means, But I don't think AS can be sub typed because some symptoms fade while others get worse. For me is seems i have had all of those at times in my life. The biggest i have to say is Fantasy boy.