Feeling numb and passionless

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

elohobo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2013, 11:20 am

I don't know if it's an Aspie trait or not, but I never had any clear goals or ambitions during my lifetime. I was diagnosed with ADD and a learning disability, but I managed to get out of elementary and high school with enough hard work and the constant help from my parents.

Being in college right now, I don't know where I'm headed anymore. I'm in my third year of multimedia, and I feel like such an impostor for not having grasped any kind of knowledge related to the field. I just don't care about programming, web design, 2d animation, etc. The only subject that seems to pick my curiosity is 3d modeling, but my skills as a 3d artist are nothing to write home about. Since my only hobby in life is gaming, I thougth I should brace myself and at least complete the course and get my diploma.

Nothing interests me anymore. I feel like a zombie trying to find a soul. I'm really out of ways to solve the problem.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 11:28 am

Its not unusual to not know what career you want to go in at your stage in life. And finding out that your major doesn't excite you is still something learned. You are right too, in that having a degree is more important then what the degree is in. It may help to start researching what all jobs are out there and what they are really like. If you can arrang an onsight visit, thats even better. Don't limit your view too much, but broaden it to examine many areas. Taking those tests that tell you what jobs you are well suited for may also help.

Turquoise773
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2013, 8:33 am

If you are interested in 3d modeling,maybe practise improving your skills as a 3d artist.Maybe there are courses you could do to improve your skills.I think with your goals,rather than see it as a long stretch,do a bit at a time.Do something towards your goal every day,even if it's just a small step.You might be clinically depressed as lack of interest in anything can be a symptom of that so maybe talk to your doctor.Also try to think of at least 10 good things that have happened in your day,every day.Even if it's just a small thing like having a nice dinner or finding a coin in the street.I hope things get better for you soon.

elohobo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2013, 10:13 pm

Turquoise773 wrote:
If you are interested in 3d modeling,maybe practise improving your skills as a 3d artist.Maybe there are courses you could do to improve your skills.I think with your goals,rather than see it as a long stretch,do a bit at a time.Do something towards your goal every day,even if it's just a small step.You might be clinically depressed as lack of interest in anything can be a symptom of that so maybe talk to your doctor.Also try to think of at least 10 good things that have happened in your day,every day.Even if it's just a small thing like having a nice dinner or finding a coin in the street.I hope things get better for you soon.

Thank you for the kind reply, but I think that even with extensive training, nothing will come out. I've discovered this at the start of college.

elohobo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2013, 10:13 pm

Turquoise773 wrote:

Thank you for the kind reply, but I think that even with extensive training, nothing will come out. I've discovered this at the start of college.

EDIT: Whoops double repost