Anyone else have anxiety problems

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jackphd
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2013, 9:54 am

I have difficulties managing my anxiety and I was wondering if my issue was common amongst other people on the spectrum ?

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 10:03 am

Oh yeah. Im in a social anxiety group

ak_born
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2013, 10:17 am

Very bad social anxiety--unable to avoid panic attacks around other people without at least a little medication.

I've realized my level of fear in inherently high-risk activities is relatively small and manageable compared to the level of fear associated with social occasions. Motorcycles, flying, bungee jumping, snowboarding, etc. produce a level of fear that is small compared to being around other people—seems rather odd and quite illogical.

I finally forced myself to visit a doctor several years ago and give the confession that I was terrified of people and couldn’t suck it up like I could with other activities. With that, the medicine has significantly contributed to my quality of life. I don’t regret waiting though, because I like how fear helped me to learn to fight it and maybe even become counterphobic in the process. =)

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 10:19 am

My anxiety issues are helped enormously by a truck load of medication.

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2013, 10:38 am

Panic attacks, generalized anxiety, all that stuff. It sucks, but I think most of us have some amount of trouble with anxiety.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Nov 2013, 10:52 am

I have severe anxiety. My 11 year old who was diagnosed ASD recently was also diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder. However my 15 year old who was diagnosed Aspergers several years ago (and definitely has many strong aspie traits) does not have much anxiety.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 12:34 pm

I would say very common. Anxiety along with being uncomfortable in social situations were the first and most longstanding tendencies I have experienced.

The anxiety issue, which is often reffered to as a co-morbid condition to autism, in my case became more problematic over the years. In other words it did get worse. And it became more obviously unrealistic. It became very apparent I was worrying way too much over certain things that triggered it. But just reasoning was not enough to stop it and it came close to panic at times. No fun.

I was on a older lower level med for quite a while but eventually had to change to a stronger anti-anxiety med. The new med did work and has kept it at a comfortable level for about 5 years.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 1:20 pm

Tremendous Anxiety issues, along with Chronic Depression, they're comorbid parts and parcels of my AS diagnosis.

I don't take Big Pharma Psych meds, but I do use Chamomile for anxiety and it does help. You can make it super-strong using multiple herbal tea bags, or order it online in capsules. It was recommended to me by a Mental Health professional as a substitute for Xanax. I like that it takes the edge off my nervous tension without making me feel drugged.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 1:47 pm

Great anxiety here too, causes me to overlook major aspects to situations and then freak out when I realize what I'm about to do. For example I almost started a job that would have me work, combined with my other job, from 8a-12a Fri and Sat 8O I told myself that my current job would let me have Fri and Sat off, but they won't do it since I have important responsibilities those days (covering for other openers, etc.) Also I thought somehow that I could get out of work by I guess 2pm to go to the next job, which never happens. So I overlook these amazingly important details due to the anxiety of applying for, interviewing for a second job (which for some reason I'm supposed to have, so I've been trying to get one. I get about 36 hrs at my current job).

So yeah, I know anxiety... tricky little demon.... wish I could brainwash myself like the Cbt suggested, but it doesn't work with my mind coming up with all the other possibilities... then there's what *I* want to do ferkrissakes. Anywho...

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 1:58 pm

Willard wrote:
Tremendous Anxiety issues, along with Chronic Depression, they're comorbid parts and parcels of my AS diagnosis.

I don't take Big Pharma Psych meds, but I do use Chamomile for anxiety and it does help. You can make it super-strong using multiple herbal tea bags, or order it online in capsules. It was recommended to me by a Mental Health professional as a substitute for Xanax. I like that it takes the edge off my nervous tension without making me feel drugged.

I will second this; don't rule out OTC herbs. Since I suffer from terrible anxiety, though not depression--at least not in the last ten years--the only pharmaceutical drug that has helped me is Valium. But that is too habit forming, has serious tolerance issues, is an intoxicant, and requires a permission slip from a doctor to purchase.

What works for me is kava. It calms as well as Valium, is not intoxicating, and doesn't require ever-increasing amounts to be effective. It has worked wonders for me, though I have to be careful with how much I use; it does have some side effects.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 2:55 pm

I used to have terrible anxiety, but I've been feeling much better. At one point it was robbing me of all the joy in my hobbies and my studies. :(

What kind of anxiety issues are you having? Maybe we can offer some ideas.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 3:34 pm

I was recently diagnosed with severe depression and mild anxiety. I knew about the depression but the anxiety bit comes as a surprise. I've always thought I had issues with it but I didn't think it warranted an official diagnosis.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

02 Nov 2013, 2:20 am

I had lots of anxiety issues that are somewhat related to my Aspie issues & that's pretty common. Facing social problems, a need for routine, being misunderstood & the like. Buspar helps my anxiety alot(it's specifically approved for generalized anxiety) & Neurontin helps my OCD(it's a seizure med & OCD is a more alternative use)

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 9:39 am

Yes!

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2013, 2:14 pm

A good deal in social situations. I've been considering going to my university's counseling center for an intake + evaluation.

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2013, 2:15 pm

*Double post*