Why am I hitting myself? (NSFW)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 2:23 pm

(I would first like to say that in the event that I am violating one of the rules for making posts on WrongPlanet, I apologize.) When I'm really stressed, I frequently resort to mild self-harm to make myself more calm about my current predicament. These tactics usually include smacking and punching my head and slapping and punching my stomach. Even though I know it's unhealthy for me, I have few other ways to keep myself calm when life throws me an obstacle. I'm afraid that if I don't take out my frustration on myself, I might instead start damaging my belongings or even hurt other people. Please help me.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 2:35 pm

Well if you are getting to the point where you are self-harming then you are frustrated about something. What is it that is upsetting you and can you take steps to distance yourself from it? Or is it more random than that?
I smacked myself in the head a couple of times last week (massive meltdown.) Anyway, it was the first time in a while that I'd done anything like that in probably over a year. For me, it's my meds that keep me even. Although I have learned some tricks: deep breaths and focus on breathing, clenching and unclenching fists/muscles, distraction. I find that when I get to that point I am hyper-focusing and not seeing the big picture, so I try to distance myself from the situation.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 2:47 pm

You need to see a mental health doctor and/or therapist on this one. Try to get one with experience in self harming. Don't put it off and good luck to you.

Monolithe
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2013, 3:38 pm

^
This

And until you get an appointment, try to do things that make you feel less frustrated and more happy, things that can help you get your mind one something else, something positive - Point being to try to prevent/reduse self harming thought's and actions, in addition to prevent yourself from thinking about causing damage/hurt to other people.

Wish you well

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 3:50 pm

Are you aware of what thoughts cause you to self harm?

I find the reason for wanting to self harm is when the world is just being too uncooperative and I am running out of ways to keep anger at bay and deal with the situation. However, if you could try and actually Feel the anger (it is extremely unpleasant to just feel it and do nothing but so is self harm), you may find it's enough and you won't need to self harm as much. I find it's like being in a psychological equivalent of standing in a sea full of excrement and suddenly a large wave washes over you. It's disgusting. It makes you feel violated. I think self harm is basically a way to distract oneself from acknowledging this feeling. The pain masks the other unpleasantness. I think people with ASD have a hard time moving on (not getting stuck in thought patterns) which is why it's so tempting to jolt yourself out of it by application of external interruption. But if you learn to ride the sh***y wave and keep riding until you get to clear water (and expect to get to clear water), you may find it possible to not self harm when you need to avoid it in order to fit in/not cause alarm.

PS have you ever tried writing out your frustration when it happens? I have found this to be very helpful. Just write down all the thoughts as they are occurring to you at the time. You don't need to ever show this to anyone if you dont' want to, but getting it out of the head helps.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 4:38 pm

Have you ever considered a punching bag? It can be really relaxing to just put some gloves on and unload all your anger and frustration into the bag.

By the time your done, you'll be tired and calmed down.