Severe weather, tornadoes, coming here

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 10:04 pm

I usually do ok with bad weather but we have had some killer tornadoes in Alabama, the most recent in April of 2011. They are talking about a high risk of severe weather here Monday and Tuesday. Right now they are saying we have a high risk of flooding, hail and tornadoes for Mon and Tues, but an extreme risk for damaging winds during that time. They said to spend the weekend tying down everything in your yard. I'm sure the high school will be closed those days, because they close the schools for that kind of weather here, especially since they built the high school right on the bank of the Cahaba River. My oldest daughter said that they are only doing review at college those days and she's not going to go if it's that bad because it's in Tuscaloosa and the last tornado tore up Tuscaloosa. My husband will probably go to work those days though and I'll worry about him. He's been down here 30 years but he's from up North and he was never taught much about being careful in bad weather. He still doesn't take tornadoes seriously. They also said for anybody in a trailer to find other places to stay those two days.

We live in a house, but we don't have a basement. We are also on the top of a hill. My mother is in the hospital right now (in Tuscaloosa - they transferred her) but her apartment is across the main road and abut a block or so down and at the bottom of the hill. It's also brick. We may go over there and stay while it's bad. We will put the dogs inside and leave them in and just come back and check on them. We can't take them there. There is a tornado shelter about a mile up the road but it's built above ground. It's supposedly made to withstand all that, and I know my house isn't. I wish we had a basement. My house is a slab built house, built in the 90s. It's a Jim Walter home. You could stand outside and push against it real hard and it would fall. One of those nice looking, big tract homes built in the 90s. Those are not built well at all. I did not pick it out, I wouldn't have. I take weather into consideration when buying a house, but I had no say in this (mother in law picked it and bought it).

Now, on top of everything else I have to worry about, my mother's seriously bad condition right now, financial trouble, a fine hanging over our heads that we can't pay by the 21st of next month that will mean a year of jail for my husband (hitting a dog laying in the middle of the road as he came over the hill at my MIL's house even though there is a leash law in Northport but the dog belonged to a retired deputy so the judge ordered 3k in restitution for VET BILLS and we missed a payment when DH was looking for a job so it's all due now), the freaking car we bought that's got problems, the way my whole family has made me into the bad guy but still looks to me to fix everything, etc. Now I have to worry about the weather. I sort of wish I could send my family and the dogs to an underground shelter and I'd just stand outside and wait on the tornado right about now.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 10:16 pm

Sounds like you've got quite a storm coming at you, and I'm not just talking about the weather. This storm will pass in time. Hunker down and do the best you can to endure. When it's over, count your losses and your blessings, and look for blue skies up ahead.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 5:54 pm

Oh lord,a Jim Walter home,I know what you are talking about,people had them built all in south Ark,it you owned the land you could get one built cheap.They had ads in the Rural Electric magazine all the time.
We are under the tornado watch also this weekend,I have a giant tree by the house,if it goes,it's not going to matter what room I'm in.For years I thought tornados wouldn't hit hilly areas,that's not true,they do.
I was in one as a kid,on Easter weekend,once is enough for one lifetime.
Sorry about all the other storms in your life,hope it gets better.