Possibly eulogy. Constructive criticism wanted

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 4:29 pm

My mother came from the day before what we think is normal, was called women's lib. She boke some glass ceilings, but even before that, she was so very respected as a nurse. Dr Joe Donald told this story about her and I really think it's the best one to tell to show her accomplishments. This was maybe about 1971. There was a surgeons group in Bham Called Donald, Peacock and Viare. That was Dr Joe, Dr Hansel and Dr Bill. My mother needed to have a small gastric surgery performed and told Dr Joe and Dr Hansel that she only wanted Dr Bill to do it. The problem was that Dr Bill was in the hospital in South Highlands with liver cancer. My mother was adamant. She wanted to wait on him. Dr's Joe and Hansel knew there was no waiting on him, so they went and talked to Dr Bill. He agreed to admit her to his service, from the hospital bed. They put her two rooms up from him. Back then, they put you in the hospital a day or two before your surgery. He rounded on her every morning, in his wheelchair. Many times he had an IV and a nurse with him. On the day of her surgery, Dr Bill promised to do it. She was taken to the OR and given anesthesia. Dr's Joe and Hansell were both there. They opened her up. Dr Bill was brought in, too weak to put on scrubs but not too weak to scrub, and he had on a gown and mask and hat. The nurse put him in a chair that had been washed for him for the OR. He did the meat of the operation. He was put bck in his wheelchair and taken to his room while Dr's Joe and Hansell closed and stayed with her. He rounded on her every morning, even when he could hardly get up. He came to her room in his wheelchair. When she was able, she went to his room, showed him her incision and labs and let him write on her chart from his bed. She came home. He died shortly therafter. My point with this is to show that she was such an extraordianary nurse and an extraordinary person that her wishes made a surgeon get up from his death bed to work on her.

She has done many things in her life. She has paved the way for many, many women today. In the last years of her life she was fiercly independent. She cleaned her own house, she cooked her own meals, many times with stuff to share. She refused to be an invalid. She was truly a beacon to tell us which way to go to find our own way. She fought the good fight, until the very end. She set the bar higher, she set the goal farther. It's our goal, I think, to reach that.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2014, 5:52 pm

Sounds like your mom was a wonderful treasure - with Mother's Day this Sunday, it's hard when your mom is not here. I still wish mine was here, too. Her Doctor was really old school, as well, and it probably made him feel better to be able to still be a doctor even when he was ailing...
Thanks for sharing this story.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 6:04 pm

Yes very nice story! Sorry about your Mom!

You might need a little more though.

muna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 May 2014, 6:42 am

I like what you have so far. I think the story could use a bit of context. Did Dr. Bill love his work and by being his patient did your mother help Dr. Bill find meaning in life even while she was sick and he was dying?