Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 8:54 pm

When we were all about to have dinner, the stovetop started making this repetitive clicking sound as if something was wrong with one of the burners, and my mom and stepdad were trying to figure out what was wrong with it. My younger half-sisters were both saying silly things like, "We'se all gonna die" and "We're all going to explode" and I'm just wondering how they can be so relaxed and happy when we all might indeed explode....I mean, there wasn't any gas on at the time and no flames, but that didn't make me any less paranoid. My stepdad also burned some of his fingers really bad trying to get the metal part of the stove plate...thing that was making the clicking sound and we can't find any aloe for him.....then after we all ate he threw the circuit breaker for the stove and the clicking stopped. I'm starting to calm down again and my breathing is back to normal (I didn't breathe that much while the clicking was going on - so scared that I forgot to) and I'm just glad we're all still alive and okay and that we didn't all explode.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm

Your stove is electric? Or gas? If it's gas, then maybe the clicking was a malfunctioning ignition switch (the thing that lights the gas so it can be used by the burner) and the only thing you'd have to worry about is asphyxiation from the unignited gas filling the room, but you can smell natural gas (the gas company purposely adds odor to the gas so you can smell it) so you'd know if you were in danger. You said the stove has a circuit breaker, if it's a gas stove then the circuit breaker is likely for the electric part of the stove, which is the ignitors. I think your folks should get a repairman out and get him to look at the stove. I don't think you'd explode, the worst problem with gas stoves is that some of the older ones (1950s and earlier) can fill the room with gas if the ignitors quit, and the REALLY old ones had to be lit with a match, and people would turn on the gas, then get distracted, and come back and light a match. BOOM! That's why they invented self-igniting stoves, cause too many people were blowing themselves up, some on purpose (suicide, usually). Your sisters were likely joking, while you thought that they weren't and that you really WOULD explode. All aspies think literally.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 11:16 am

Well I hope it gets sorted out and it probably is a fairly easy repair I would think. Mechanical/Electronic stuff breaks all the time. But it reminded me of a humorous (afterwards) event that once happened to me.

I was once hanging out with partier friends in a small room. We were all sitting on couches and chairs in a circle listening to music and joking around. One of the guys was playing around with a blow torch and turning knobs and such on it. It was lit and I guess he caused a leak and the whole thing went up in flames, and he instinctively threw it on the floor in the middle of everyone. Everyone thought it might explode (we were all dumbass teenagers) and each of us kicked it away but then of course sent it towards a friend, and this hilarious panic ensued with every man out for himself (although we were all frightened while it was happening). Yep, no one was going to throw themselves on the grenade to save his buddies in this bunch. Finally the most level headed guy grabbed a coat or blanket and threw it on the torch and it went out instantly. We all just kind of sat there for a minute catching our breath and then noticed one guy had actually leaned behind another guy and was holding him in front like a human shield. Everyone was so dazed at first that the guy being held as a shield didn't even realize it for a few seconds. But then then he looked behind him and realized what was going on and yelled 'WTF are you doing?' and 'You Bastard!' At that point we started laughing our heads off and couldn't stop for a long time.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 1:34 pm

^ Toy_Soldier (OP I'm sorry), but this made me laugh a lot.