Oh no, missed an SSI appointment...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 7:34 pm

Apparently it was an appointment just to redetermine SSI, basically just prove I haven't become un-disabled, but yeah I have to contact them by the 23rd or they'll stop payment. I never remember getting the notice that i even had an appointment though, but I might have just forgot. I tried to call the number and extension on the letter the day before yesterday and today but got voice-mail both times. I think I will probably just go to the SSI office tomorrow or Monday because I don't want to drag it out playing phone tag which always seems to happen with things like this.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 7:52 pm

Forgetting an appointment can happen to all of us. I wouldn't wanna play phone tag either, I hate phone tag lol. In Ontario you can drop in to see your disability case worker without an appointment any weekday, hopefully they won't make you come back another day for another appointment and can just work it out while you are there.

I never got called in to have my disability status reassessed, all I got was a letter in the mail once after being on disability for 9.5 years stating I still met the requirements. I assume they have direct access to recipient's medical records here.

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2016, 12:19 am

Those appointments are easy to overlook because SS sends all these pages and the appointment date/time is buried in the middle somewhere. Sometimes they don't even send a notice.

I agree, going in will take care of it quicker than phone tag with the workers at SS.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 3:37 am

Exact same thing happen to me. They never called, never sent s letter. They made an appointment then said I was a no show and threaten to stop payments. Maybe they hope we'll be too anxious to call and they can just stop paying us.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 3:54 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Apparently it was an appointment just to redetermine SSI, basically just prove I haven't become un-disabled, but yeah I have to contact them by the 23rd or they'll stop payment. I never remember getting the notice that i even had an appointment though, but I might have just forgot. I tried to call the number and extension on the letter the day before yesterday and today but got voice-mail both times. I think I will probably just go to the SSI office tomorrow or Monday because I don't want to drag it out playing phone tag which always seems to happen with things like this.

I got a letter like that, sometime ago, and ignored it too. Because I only check my mail box about one time a month at best. When I saw it, it was already a month past the time I was supposed call them. I just forgot about it, but nothing happened to my benefits. I figured if they actually sent me a notice that my benefits were being cut, I would deal with it at that point. Im not sure if they can really cut you benefits just because you didn't respond to a letter.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 8:00 am

They have some goofy way of sending mail. It often comes in batches like you described, I have seen them send something out saying "You have an appointment on ______" and the date in the letter is already past before you receive it.

So, yeah, you gotta take care of this, and no, it's probably not your fault.