Potential collapse of society

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 10:11 pm

I'm very worried that I am going to see the potential collapse of society as we know it because of the current direction we are going. I mean a scenario where millions of people will die, which will make WW2 or other similar horrible events in the West since about the 18th or 19th century look like a child's play.

I read about scenarios like an EMP attack on America by another country where everything relying on electronics stops and will culminate in total chaos. If I was a survivalist, I would merely only have a chance of making it. I was recently on an airplane for vacation which prompted the thought to come to mind that after an EMP airplanes will fall from the sky too and hundred thousands of innocent poor people die without a chance of survival. It will be even worse today because we only rely on solid-state circuitry in our vehicles, etc. Why, oh why must so many innocent people die in this country just because someone in another part of the world hates America so much. I even get very raged reading about it. But I can't help feel horrible and sad for those in said scenario, for many would be a certain death sentence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 10:46 pm

I don’t see this scenario coming to fruition.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 11:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t see this scenario coming to fruition.

You are entitled to feel the way you do and so do I.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 11:13 pm

It is common to have fears. But the key question is what are YOU going to do about it. Most people do nothing. I protect some of my essential electronics by placing them in a Faraday cage.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 1:11 am

jimmy m wrote:
It is common to have fears. But the key question is what are YOU going to do about it. Most people do nothing. I protect some of my essential electronics by placing them in a Faraday cage.

Well, I guess that is still good advice. What electronics do you store in yours?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 5:56 am

jimmy m wrote:

That never occurred to me. What do you protect? How would it help if everything else went down?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 11:46 am

The first part made me think this was another threadh about coronavirus, but turned out it wasn't. I suppose the fact that I assumed that says a lot about me. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 12:02 pm

You put your important papers (like leases, mortgages, birth certificates, things like that) in a safe with a combination.

And make sure all your computer files are backed-up----twice.

Society could have "collapsed" during the Great Depression---where there were doctors who had to sell apples in order to stay afloat. And many professionals were living in "Hooverville"-type slums in major cities. But it didn't collapse.

Society could have "collapsed" many times----but it didn't.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 1:51 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Well, I guess that is still good advice. What electronics do you store in yours?

I protect a short wave radio, a digital voltmeter, an electronic nuclear radiation detector. I also protect my digital camera and video camera (these are not essential but I would not want to lose them). I also protect a portable computer.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 2:00 pm

blazingstar wrote:
How would it help if everything else went down?

First thing is I would want reliable information. A working radio is very important for finding out what happened, how many people are affected, scope of emergency.

An EMP pulse can destroy many pieces of electronic. It can also damage electronics so their lifetime becomes short. I will need a means of fixing things that contain electronics after an EMP (such as most automobiles). A voltmeter is an essential piece of equipment.

An electronic radiation detector is important is assessing danger. Generally an EMP pulse is generated by a nuclear explosion high up in the atmosphere and normally radioactive fallout should not be a problem. But I would want to immediately check the levels. Other things can cause similar destruction. It is important to know if radiation levels are dangerously high and one would need to seek cover immediately.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 11:04 pm

jimmy m wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
How would it help if everything else went down?

First thing is I would want reliable information. A working radio is very important for finding out what happened, how many people are affected, scope of emergency.

An EMP pulse can destroy many pieces of electronic. It can also damage electronics so their lifetime becomes short. I will need a means of fixing things that contain electronics after an EMP (such as most automobiles). A voltmeter is an essential piece of equipment.

An electronic radiation detector is important is assessing danger. Generally an EMP pulse is generated by a nuclear explosion high up in the atmosphere and normally radioactive fallout should not be a problem. But I would want to immediately check the levels. Other things can cause similar destruction. It is important to know if radiation levels are dangerously high and one would need to seek cover immediately.

Also, I'm worried/scared about the other innocent people traveling in the sky or any other dangerous area during such an EMP strike. Why, oh why must innocent people die in a horrific way?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 12:56 am

But as far as I can tell, EMP cannot be created without a nuclear explosion though, right? It seems that the idea of an EMP bomb is just a theory, but not a proven fact yet. Unless there are such things and I am wrong?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 3:42 am

This isn’t the first global pandemic. This isn’t the first time the economy has crashed. The world as we know it has survived many wars. Times may get tough, but life will go on. It always does.

And if by chance, for the first time in history, it doesn’t, well, there won’t be anything left to worry about. So, who cares? :? :)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 4:55 am

ironpony wrote:
But as far as I can tell, EMP cannot be created without a nuclear explosion though, right? It seems that the idea of an EMP bomb is just a theory, but not a proven fact yet. Unless there are such things and I am wrong?

Not only do they exist they’re in active use, though I’m more worried about a solar event.

Non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NNEMP) Edit
Non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NNEMP) is a weapon-generated electromagnetic pulse without use of nuclear technology. Devices that can achieve this objective include a large low-inductance capacitor bank discharged into a single-loop antenna, a microwave generator, and an explosively pumped flux compression generator. To achieve the frequency characteristics of the pulse needed for optimal coupling into the target, wave-shaping circuits or microwave generators are added between the pulse source and the antenna. Vircators are vacuum tubes that are particularly suitable for microwave conversion of high-energy pulses.[7]

NNEMP generators can be carried as a payload of bombs, cruise missiles (such as the CHAMP missile) and drones, with diminished mechanical, thermal and ionizing radiation effects, but without the consequences of deploying nuclear weapons.

The range of NNEMP weapons is much less than nuclear EMP. Nearly all NNEMP devices used as weapons require chemical explosives as their initial energy source, producing only 10−6 (one millionth) the energy of nuclear explosives of similar weight.[8] The electromagnetic pulse from NNEMP weapons must come from within the weapon, while nuclear weapons generate EMP as a secondary effect.[9] These facts limit the range of NNEMP weapons, but allow finer target discrimination. The effect of small e-bombs has proven to be sufficient for certain terrorist or military operations.[citation needed] Examples of such operations include the destruction of electronic control systems critical to the operation of many ground vehicles and aircraft.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 2:37 pm

Okay well, if they are in active use, what are some events in history where an EMP bomb was detonated then?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 5:50 pm

ironpony wrote:
Okay well, if they are in active use, what are some events in history where an EMP bomb was detonated then?

Oh, come on.. they would never tell us.