Colossal lack of dopamine or initiative or something

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 2:48 pm

So my spouse is at adult day care (he has dementia) and I had several business affairs to do while he's gone. Set up a medical appointment for him, cancel a home aide service, call a credit card company to request waiver of a late fee. Shouldn't be all that hard.

But it's a dark, partly rainy day, and I didn't sleep much last night. It was really hard to get started on these things. Dozed while drinking coffee.

I knew these are small tasks (and they were, once I accomplished them) but it was really hard getting started on them.

Still to do: pick up spouse and make supper. I can do this! Yes, I can!

sigh.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 3:06 pm

So is he talking any medication for the dementia? I met someone that was able to be released from the hospital and go home with their husband, once they got on the right medication for it.

Maybe you’re feeling blah because you guys aren’t together as much? I have blah days where I know I should be doing something other than lay in bed browsing the internet. And these aren’t even rainy days. Days like that I’ve noticed I wanted to be with someone but couldn’t.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 3:10 pm

Rather than a lack of dopamine or initiative, I'd consider it a self-care day. Anyone in your position deserves a day to rest, decompress, and shut down a little bit when they have time alone.

I'm glad to hear your husband is getting more direct care now.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 3:13 pm

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate
Probably your circumstances getting to you. Perhaps anxiety and depression.
Can't say for sure.

Hard to know what to do in such a situation.

Just out of interest, I have read that B12 methylcobalamin version and phosphatidylserine both may help improve cognitive functioning

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 4:43 pm

Take heart:

Procrastination is my middle name.

As long as you get these things done eventually....

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 4:52 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
So is he talking any medication for the dementia? I met someone that was able to be released from the hospital and go home with their husband, once they got on the right medication for it.

Maybe you’re feeling blah because you guys aren’t together as much? I have blah days where I know I should be doing something other than lay in bed browsing the internet. And these aren’t even rainy days. Days like that I’ve noticed I wanted to be with someone but couldn’t.

Yes, he's on meds for dementia... and has pretty good care from his team - I make sure of that. He hasn't been hospitalized for it. He does go to this adult day care place one day a week, which he enjoys because he likes to socialize. During the pandemic we've been together TOO much. The day care is considered "respite" for me (the caregiver) so I don't burn out.

On the drive home today it was dark and rainy and the main highway was bumper-to-bumper, so I took back roads and got lost. At least now the dinner is in the oven so I can listen to the news and relax.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 4:53 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Rather than a lack of dopamine or initiative, I'd consider it a self-care day. Anyone in your position deserves a day to rest, decompress, and shut down a little bit when they have time alone.

I'm glad to hear your husband is getting more direct care now.

Thank you!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 4:56 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate
Probably your circumstances getting to you. Perhaps anxiety and depression.
Can't say for sure.

Hard to know what to do in such a situation.

I'm very susceptible to low light levels and bad weather. If it had been sunny today, my mood would have been sunny too.

madbutnotmad wrote:
Just out of interest, I have read that B12 methylcobalamin version and phosphatidylserine both may help improve cognitive functioning

Are you recommending that for him, or me? :lol:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 4:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Take heart:

Procrastination is my middle name.

As long as you get these things done eventually....

Well, that's part of the problem. Why do you think I needed to get a late fee waived? I hated to call and ask for that but I know from previous experience if it's the first time you've done it, most banks will waive it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 5:10 pm

Yaaay. Go BeaArthur , sounds like inspite of having much on your plate . Your accomplishing much !
Hope you get to use your day off for just yourself , sometime soon . Take of you so you can do for him too .

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 5:12 pm

You had the initiative to call about getting the late fee waived.....think of it that way.

There are days when I wouldn't even do that!

My credit used to be in the toilet.....because I couldn't be bothered to put the check in the envelope, put a stamp on the envelope, and mail the payment!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 5:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You had the initiative to call about getting the late fee waived.....think of it that way.

There are days when I wouldn't even do that!

My credit used to be in the toilet.....because I couldn't be bothered to put the check in the envelope, put a stamp on the envelope, and mail the payment!

Interesting coincidence used to have days that it seemed my life was in the toilet as well . :|

where ever you go ,there you are

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 6:06 pm

You have so much to cope with!
All the tragedies and crises this year must add SO much emotional pressure to what you’re already carrying!
Do you know how much you are impressing people with what you accomplishing?
I don’t think you see what a strong person you are :!:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 8:16 pm

I do think that last week's gun massacre followed by this week's are making me feel down. I like to listen to the news but sometimes it gets my husband agitated so I have to block it. (Common advise for caregivers for dementia patients: turn off the news!)

I hope that other people suffering from low mood will remember that this has been a very hard year and many, many people are having mental health declines. Knowing there's a cause, and the cause is not permanent, can be what helps us to regain perspective (somewhat).

Thank you to those who have responded.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 9:53 pm

Om Nom hugs