Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

BazoQ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2007, 7:05 pm

Ever since my diagnosis, I've been constantly reflecting on what I say or write. It's getting to a point where I'm becoming almost mute. And my writing is blocked as well.

I'm perpetually re-editing myself so much that nothing comes out.....

Does anyone else have this problem?

myeyesseekreality
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2007, 7:13 pm

Why do you do that? It's pointless you are the same person you were before. You just now know why you are different.

DaQwerk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2007, 7:14 pm

Yes...a lot...I do a lot of second guessing...I don't like breaking
rules, so I tend to err on the side of caution. I know there are
some tough grammar police out there...... :wink: Not to mention
all the people who are more articulate and excel in areas that I
do not. In cyber and non cyberland.... I seem to feel that less is
better for me, at least. It might have somewhat to do with how
much confidence I have in myself, but in my experience most
people are not really interested in what I have to say, so I just
don't bother talking unless someone initiates the conversation.

Kahil Gibran

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 7:24 pm

I used to do that a lot and it was painful and depressing... I finally realized that there IS a point to writing-- to share your eperiences when you can't have an experience at the moment.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2007, 8:22 pm

I tend to do that a lot. I'll edit a forum post a few times before making it, and in some cases won't submit it at all. The same is true for my blog. I'm getting a bit better though.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 9:33 pm

I definitely find that I am more formal and particular in my writing than my speach. Depending on the topic, I will edit the sentance several times in my mind, and have a natural tendancy to use specific wording. In fact, I have written papers that have sent English Professors running to the dictionary and/or stating that I have used words incorrectly (when I am not).

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2007, 11:44 am

I think you'll find that this habit will ease with time. I went through the same thing after I was diagnosed last January, and it's starting to fade. I think it's just part of adjusting.

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2007, 9:22 am

I have always been that way. I probably write 3 times as many replies to posts here than I actually post. I don't really know why I don't go ahead and click the Submit button after spending several minutes typing a response, but if I guess it comes from the uncertainty that there is any real point to making the post. Of course without making it one will never know if it would have been useful to someone.
I find that is one of my main blocks to talking to people too. I self edit out anything that I don't think will be of interest to them. With people I know well that can still leave me with things to say, but with strangers I am left with virtually nothing.

HurricaneRae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2007, 4:40 am

I have also always been a self-editor. It also keeps me from talking to people or at least initiating conversation. Once I'm in the swing of a conversation, I feel more comfortable and think about it less.

I'm not entirely certain it is just an Aspie thing for me. I grew up with the influence of my family to be very self-conscious and rediculously apologetic.

Are other Aspies really apologetic when they realize they have broken a social norm or have been even slightly rude or just plain made a simple mistake?

-Rae

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Sep 2007, 4:46 pm

HurricaneRae wrote:
I have also always been a self-editor. It also keeps me from talking to people or at least initiating conversation. Once I'm in the swing of a conversation, I feel more comfortable and think about it less.

I'm not entirely certain it is just an Aspie thing for me. I grew up with the influence of my family to be very self-conscious and rediculously apologetic.

Are other Aspies really apologetic when they realize they have broken a social norm or have been even slightly rude or just plain made a simple mistake?

-Rae

I used to appologize alot when that happened, often ppl would say I dont need to appologize I did nothing wrong (eather they were lying to make me feel better or I was paraniod I screwed up when I actually did not).

I self edit, but ony really do it after a conversation, its strange but if the other party reacted weird or angry to something I said or I feel Iscrewed up, ill replay the conversation and notice my errors.