I am 16 and i am scared to try new food
My diet is chocolate but only galaxy,ripples,buttons
Chips but only if they are not greasy
pizza but only with chesse and tomato on it
Ice Lollies but only fabs

Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 12:11 pm

I have some sort of medical problem where I just can't try new foods at all.

If I eat something I've never had before or not for a long time I get really sick.

I've eaten pizza probably everyday of my life. It's quite ridiculous and sad. But I can't do anything about it.

Meh, I'm not overweight or underweight so I never considered it much of a problem. It's just if I ever want to dinner with someone all I could have is pizza. =_=

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 12:40 pm

I was rally picky as a kid, I can smell food and know right a way if I will like it or not. Everyone says 'how do you know if you do not try it?' this quote just dosn't apply to me and no one seems to get it.

If I look and smell a dish, I can instictivly tell if I will like it or not, and it NEVER fails. I gave in to some people's pestering and tried the food anyway, and guess what...... I was right, I did not like it.

But come to think of it, maybe I was never picky, I just wasn't into the food that my mom likes, she likes traditional newfoundland food... I do not. I love Japanese food and my mom won't even try it... so I was able to get her to eat her words. Downtown St.John's has some of the best restaurants you will ever eat at and most are international... I love trying these places. I tried to get my mom to go to some of these places with me... but she refused... and we went to a newfoundland restaurant instead.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 1:00 pm

My college roommate was from Newfoundland, and she was also an extremely selective eater. (She didn`t even like fish, even though her vocabulary was full of fish words :?) For the most part, she only wanted to eat chicken fingers & fries. When we went to McDonald`s she would get McChickens without any toppings.
I guess this doesn`t really help, I just thought I`d share...

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2008, 1:18 pm

I went through a long phase, 7 years, of eating almost nothing other than pizza, cheeseburgers, mars bars double-deckers and maltesers, toasted sandwiches, bread and/or crackers and cheese, etc. ( the only exception was indian meals, and even then I always stuck to chicken tikka with nan bread and salad. The rice didn't interest me! )

I (almost) never ate meat ( except in burgers) or veg ( other than tomato on the pizza , and gherkin in the burgers) or fruit or salad or fish or eggs. :(

It turned out that I was actually "intolerant of"/allergic to both dairy and wheat, that wheat/gluten in particular was largely responsible for my recurring and deepening depression, and the two together, plus sugar in the chocolate bars, were contributing to my increasing mood disorder/hypo-manic behaviours.

Food intolerances often act like an addiction, worsening as time goes on as lose interest in any other food, to the point where no other food seems tasty or pleasant or attractive.

I went on an exclusion diet, discovered the "awful truth", :wink: and have in fits and starts since then excluded them from my diet and now eat lots of other things, having rediscovered a taste for them now that I am not addicted to wheat and dairy and sugar anymore.

8)

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2008, 3:23 pm

It was amazing to see how many general health problems disappeared as a result too. Particularly headaches and frequent colds, aswell as the mental health problems, and painful abdominal bloating/irritation. :)

8)

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 10:40 pm

babycakes221 wrote:
I am 16 and i am scared to try new food

:?: The vast majority of food won't try to eat you, most of it won't try to hurt you or even scream at you. :lol:

I don't suppose that realizing being scared to try new food is irrational would help any?

Well, you're not alone. Most people are scared of trying new things. The way I see it there are two things you can choose to do, and there are at least three outcomes. 1. You refuse to try new things thereby abating the fear. 2. You fight through the fear and try it - 2a. You see that nothing bad happened and enjoy the experience thereby abating the fear. 2b. The fear has such a negative effect on your experience that it is a bad one(You're so scared you become nauseous). Possibility of 2c. The food is just plain bad.

So the question would be is the possibility that you could have a good experience worth overcoming your fear? If the food you currently eat isn't boringly monotonous and potentially burdensome or unhealthy and causing physical problems, probably not.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 4:46 am

I just find that you have to try new things. If it's unpleasant, make sure you have a glass of milk or something beside you so you can wash the taste away. Even if you don't like the smell you can push it away if you find it to be very offensive. I have tried (and liked) many different foods this way. I'm now a huge fan of apple crumble when I hitherto wouldn't touch the stuff.

A diet as limited as the one you're on babycakes221 cannot be healthy for you. Your body is suffering from the lack of decent nutrients.

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2008, 5:59 am

When I was a kid my Aunt Billy had a Newfoundland. Ive never eaten dog (that I know of) but I hear it is accepted and expected in some cultures. 99.9% of the arguments Ive had with Billy were food related. I would like to recommend that we all eat pasta salad. I have heard that if you swallow goldfish whole you should do it head first so that the fins dont stick you on the way down. I have also heard that you can get ink poisoning from eating fish and chips wrapped in newspaper. Rumor has it that human flesh more closely resembles pork than any other meat. I put a hamburger in a blender and drank it through a straw, when my mouth was wired shut.