Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 5:24 pm

I've started having panic attacks and I just wandered what helps you of you have them.

:?:

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2008, 6:00 pm

Sensory Imput.

First, I focus on my breathing. I try to breathe in a pattern, such as five counts in, hold for two counts, and out for five. Any pattern works, as long as it serves to help you regulate and slow down your breathing.

Second, I try to get some sort of sensory imput with my hands. Brick walls are especially effective, but jeans and carpet work ok also.

Pacing helps, as long as it is controlled and doesn't accelerate.

I focus on my breathing and the sensory imput to my hands until I feel clear headed again.

Of course, you need to get out of the situation, if there is one, that is causing the panic attack in the first place.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 6:41 pm

miserylovescompany wrote:
I've started having panic attacks and I just wandered what helps you of you have them.

:?:

Used to have them. They had no specific trigger, they just happened.

EXERCISE is the main thing that will defeat a panic attack. Run, bicycle, swim, whatever you prefer. It generally needs to be cardio. Its almost like you outrun your panic.

All I can say is the worst thing you can do is just sit there when you have it. NOTHING you can do will make it worse.

traveller011212
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2008, 10:48 pm

Exercise works preventatively, but while they are happening I do the following.

Picture a candle. I put up my hand in front of me (tip of middle finger is in line with my nose, knife edge is facing out with my palm facing to my left as it is my right hand. From there I have my pinky and ring finger curled down.) and picture the flame where my hand is. I breath deliberately, deeply, and slowly as I draw my hand down, imagining myself coming back to center or balance. As I do this I shut out everything that is not vital to life. I shut out the noise and the light and any thought that plague my mind.

From there I remove myself from the situation if I can.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 4:07 am

Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 4:54 am

Anxiety and panic attacks are different animals.

Anxiety can be major stress bought on by excessive sensory input, by situations, people screaming, etc. The cause is usually obvious and you can just walk away.

Panic attacks tend to come without warning and can hit you just sitting there watching TV. You have a serious fear that you are in your last moments of life. The cause or trigger is not always obvious. The last thing you want to do is sit there although moving can be difficult.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 10:10 am

try magnesium or an herbal preperation

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 10:36 am

Wow, what great suggestions! I wish I had had some of this information when I had a panic attack. Generally, I just had to talk myself down once I recognized it. Just kept repeating that I was going to be ok, that I wasn't hurt, that others were not hurt, that the world wasn't coming to an end, etc. I haven't had one for some time though.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 11:56 am

This nice little pill that I put under my tongue and deep breathing.....maybe some deep pressure stimming. Works for me :)