When There Is Little Support

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2008, 10:22 pm

How do you keep perservering when you've started seeing the 4rth therapist in 10+ years? I self diagnosed mostly as I worked with the first three. Turns out the person that I may work with for a bit has Aspergers similiar to mine.

I havn't told dh about this new person as he is under a lot of stress at work. Found my mom's comments about both my parents having met this person and not liking them rather depressing. I thought to myself Um yeah, I bet you don't want to ask people you know their opinion of me.

Having a deficit in one of the largest parts of one's life, being social, is sometimes bearable and other excruciating. I am pressing forward for my family's sake. If I wasn't married and raising a child I would probably just sit and watch the world go by without me on most days.

I tried to tell a relative that I think I have aspergers and she read me the riot act. I couldn't be autistic, I think too much and didn't you already ask me not long ago about another diagnosis. No I didn't I wanted to say, but I changed the subject. I am relieved to come here as it doesn't look like I will have much support for understanding mild to moderate aspergers.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 10:31 am

Pook, have you thought about carving out a little "me time" for something you enjoy? It might help you to cope with everything else going on in your life.

I understand the lack of support. Never really had it from my parents. I have found some support through a few close people. I also take time to do things that I enjoy. It helps make my world a more pleasant space.

Good luck!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2008, 9:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. That's a good suggestion, because as women many of us often try to overextend ourselves. I know dh is very busy at work presently and he won't go back to his regular schedule till the end of the year so that leaves me to do my own work and what the chores has agreed to do. He comes home absolutely exhausted so I am the one balancing the home here.