It really irritates me..

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 7:24 am

I posted a question on yahoo answers asking people's opinions on writing up contracts for a litter kittens (whom are 6 weeks old and soon to go to new homes). Most people were good about it and acutally answered the question, but a couple of people decided that rather than answer the question they would instead tell me how I was a negligent pet owner for allowing her to have kittens, how I am killing shelter cats by allowing my cats to breed etc.etc.

It gets me very worked up when people say things like that, because it has nothing to do with the question. I did not ask people's opinions on the fact that my cat had kittens, I asked people's opinions on kitten contracts. The fact that my cat had kittens at all were only mentioned because I was asking about kitten contracts for these guys.

Also...why do they have the right to pass judgement on me when they have no knowledge of me or my cat? I do my best not to judge people based on a couple of lines of text, and whenever I respond to a question I try to answer with the facts, rather than my own thoughts/feelings. If someone says something I agree with I try (though not always succeed) to respond in a non-aggresive way. I don't try to inflict my beliefs on anyone else.

-sighs- I cannot understand why people always judge what they do not understand.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 7:35 am

Some people on the internet are just jerks. You should not see it as a personal attack, they are just trolling around for the fun of it.

Just ignore them. On a online forum, you can ask a moderator to clean the subject, but I do not know if that service has moderators like that.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 8:29 am

There was a post here a couple of weeks ago about someone who asked for advice about their lizard on a pet forum; they got similar abuse from other members, despite having done nothing wrong.

The internet brings out the troll in a lot of people; people say what they like without worrying about social niceties or respecting the other person's viewpoint, even if it differs from their own. Personally, I can see where the person was coming from, but that's only after I read it; before that, I was thinking more along the lines of 'kitties! awwwww!'. Just because they have thought about it and are morally against cat breeding, doesn't mean that they should flame others for holding the opposite view; it's counter-productive anyway.

(it took me many years before I realised that ranting about animal cruelty will not persuade people to become vegetarians)

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 8:50 am

Lene wrote:
There was a post here a couple of weeks ago about someone who asked for advice about their lizard on a pet forum; they got similar abuse from other members, despite having done nothing wrong.

The internet brings out the troll in a lot of people; people say what they like without worrying about social niceties or respecting the other person's viewpoint, even if it differs from their own. Personally, I can see where the person was coming from, but that's only after I read it; before that, I was thinking more along the lines of 'kitties! awwwww!'. Just because they have thought about it and are morally against cat breeding, doesn't mean that they should flame others for holding the opposite view; it's counter-productive anyway.

(it took me many years before I realised that ranting about animal cruelty will not persuade people to become vegetarians)

I can understand why they are coming from aswell. I don't believe that it is fair on a queen to allow her to become pregnant several times a year. It wasn't so much the fact that they were pointing out the obvious, it was how they were doing it.

I don't believe in flaming people for holding different views. Personally, I think that you are not going to make people think the way you do if you try to make them by force. Through thought out reasoning and facts, perhaps, but not trhough abuse and insults.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 11:46 am

I think perhaps that it could be one of several things - maybe they "have no voice" in their day-to-day world, so the only place they can vent is online (which is pretty pathetic, but it happens). Or they could be rabid about their beliefs, much as those people who bang on your front door and tell you you're going to hell if you don't go to their particular church. Or, maybe they have really abysmal communication skills. But I do hate it when those kind of answers pop up.

Another is people who have nothing useful to say about the subject - I posted a week ago asking for specific advice and got "gee, well at least it's not like my cousin's situation." I didn't ask about their cousin - who's situation had NOTHING to do with what I posted. I also got some "Gee, that sucks...." posts. Yes, it's easy to just scroll past them, but really, what in the world....? It sounded like they were all posted by 13 year old kids. Which, I guess, they may have been. Hmmm.

(No, I never got a legit answer to my question.)

Tias
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 12:13 pm

Asterisp wrote:
Some people on the internet are just jerks. You should not see it as a personal attack, they are just trolling around for the fun of it.

Just ignore them. On a online forum, you can ask a moderator to clean the subject, but I do not know if that service has moderators like that.

Just cause they say something else, that might be true, it's trolling?

wow

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 2:52 pm

Tias wrote:
Just cause they say something else, that might be true, it's trolling?

wow

Depends on definitions of course, but it is impolite to go too far off-topic in conversations. But then again, I have been on the old-fashion plain-text mailing lists and rules were a bit more strict on those lists.

And some people just have to make their political opinions heard, and drag every subject toward their own. Even if it is not helping the TS of the subject.