Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mikaela
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm

When I set a goal, I am determined to reach the goal regardless of the self expense (in this case, paying for college...I need a cosigner for loans.) I may ask people for help, but I do not expect help. I would never want someone to help me if they didn't have the resources or feel comfortable about it. I don't consider myself a selfish person. I try to adhere to the needs of those around me...In fact, I just realized that I don't HAVE to do everything for everyone. I can be my own person. I can choose to stay home even if my friends want to hang out really badly. I can choose not to carry someone's books around school because they "don't feel like stopping at their locker."

Could the transition between extreme selflessness to an apparent "selfishness" make me appear more selfish than I actually am ?
Also, I feel like I don't understand how others perceive selfishness.
What is the definition of being selfish?

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2013, 4:49 pm

Don't get so hung up on definitions.
What you are experiencing is the sense of self awareness, wisdom, and maturity that comes with age.
Even the Dalai Lama talks of the usefulness of selfishness, though in a practical and helpful context. He talks of being selfishly generous, doing good things for others because it can make you feel good.

Everyone is selfish from time to time, and everyone is needy from time to time; just don't allow yourself to feel too guilty when you need help from others, even though you will feel embarrassed sometimes asking for help.
You can always do what you can for others, and it doesn't have to cost you any money.
Consider doing voluntary work - this helps you connect with community and is healthy for self esteem, whilst keeping you active.
It's only a problem if you are selfish and not self conscious about it, or you take advantage of others without a sense of guilt.

BTW - my dictionary defines selfishness like this:
Selfish: adj 1. devoted to or caring only for oneself, one's welfare, interests, etc. 2. characterised by caring only for oneself - selfish motives

Being an Aspie I'm quite literal and would go with that definition, which shows you are not selfish, if you were truly selfish you would EXPECT help, you WOULD want people to help you, regardless of the cost to them, or whether they would feel comfortable or not.
The fact you are cognisant of the needs of those around you proves you are not selfish, and the fact you are aware you don't have to do everything for everyone shows you are mature, and learning about boundary setting, which is very important.
I still struggle with that from time to time myself; wanting to help those who don't need help but so that I can feel more useful, or to help them achieve their goals quicker, at the expense of undermining their independence and sense of achievement.

Awareness makes all the difference, as now you can consciously choose your behaviour and attitude - some people never get to that step.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 8:32 pm

I can get pretty black & white, and the philosophical question of selfishness has been around for eons.
The final answer is that EVERY ACTION can be argued as selfish.
But pretty much if you act like an Ass about it and proud of that, then it probably is regular ole' selfishness.